Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #1
intwtl
intwtl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo H2O Ver2
New Kobo Aura H2O 2 How to move Series

Hello,

My old Sony finally gave out and I bought a Kobo Aura H2O 2.

I have sync my books from Calibre to the Kobo but the Series would not move to the reader. I do not understand the Kobo Collection system.

Please explain what I have to do to move the series to the Kobo.

Thank you
intwtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by intwtl View Post
Hello,

My old Sony finally gave out and I bought a Kobo Aura H2O 2.

I have sync my books from Calibre to the Kobo but the Series would not move to the reader. I do not understand the Kobo Collection system.

Thank you
What you can do is organize your books like you did on your Sony with collections. You just have to go into Calibre and edit the settings in the driver and go.

To do this...

Preferences -> Sending books to device and set metadata management to Automatic management. Then Calibre will automatically update the collections every time your Kobo is connected.

1. Click Preferences
3. Sending books to devices
4. Automatic management
5. Apply
6. Click Plugins
7. Search for KoboTouch
8. Click Customize
9. Click Collections, covers & uploads
10. Put in the dialog box the columns you want to use for tags and series. I use the tags and series columns. Given that you have had a Sony, those would be appropriate columns but you can create custom columns if you desire. See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections
11. Check Upload Black and White covers
12. Check Upload covers for book (newer readers)
13. Click OK
14. Click Apply
15. Clock Close

If a requester does pop up asking to restart, click to restart Calibre. If you don't get such a requester, go to step 14.
16. Restart Calibre

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-12-2017 at 09:22 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
In addition to what JSWolf said, the main difference to note between Sony and Kobo is that Kobos need a 2-step process each time you send new books.

The first connect via USB you send-to-device your new books.

When you disconnect the Kobo loads the new books into its database - you'll see a Processing... screen.

When you connect via USB again the calibre driver will sort out your Collection data for all books on the device. You don't need to do anything other than let calibre do its stuff before disconnecting.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you can do is organize your books like you did on your Sony with collections. You just have to go into Calibre and edit the settings in the driver and go.

To do this...

Preferences -> Sending books to device and set metadata management to Automatic management. Then Calibre will automatically update the collections every time your Kobo is connected.

1. Click Preferences
3. Sending books to devices
4. Automatic management
5. Apply
6. Click Plugins
7. Search for kobo reader device interface
8. Click Customize
9. Click Extra customization
The tab is called "Collections, covers & uploads".
Quote:
10. Put in the dialog box the columns you want to use for tags and series. I use the tags and series columns. Given that you have had a Sony, those would be appropriate columns
Yes, Jon, we know you think that. But, why restrict yourself when the Kobo devices are much more flexible?

@intwtl: You can use any set of columns for the collections. Including custom columns. See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections for details
Quote:
11. Check Upload Black and White covers
12. Check Upload covers for book (newer readers)
Again a personal preference. Personally, I'm happy for the device to generate them as needed. I leave the cover options unchecked.
Quote:
13. Check Show expire books
I can't find that option. Do you mean "Show archived books" on the "Metadata, on device & advanced" tab?
Quote:
14. The others are up to you if you want checked or not. I have them unchecked.
15. Click OK
16. Click Apply
17. Clock Close

If a requester does pop up asking to restart, click to restart Calibre. If you don't get such a requester, go to step 14.
18. Restart Calibre
You forgot to mention the series info option. That is what was asked. If the series info is to be populated, then these options need to be checked.

@intwtl: The very important thing that Jon missed is that the series info isn't set when you send the book. You need to disconnect the device and let it import the new books. Then connect again and the series information is set when calibre sees the device.

Also, collections and series are not really related. You can create a collection for each series, but you can also create series for lots of other reasons. I use series plus some custom columns which I maintain.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, Jon, we know you think that. But, why restrict yourself when the Kobo devices are much more flexible?
The reason I said what I said is not due to personal preference. It's because the Sony driver uses tags and series and they would be populated with the collections for use with the Sony Reader. So using them would mean that the books already on the Kobo would be sorted.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The tab is called "Collections, covers & uploads".
I got the name of the tab from the Kobo Reader Device Interface. I also have KoboTouch which has the tab you mentioned. Should the Kobo Reader Device Interface be disabled?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I got the name of the tab from the Kobo Reader Device Interface. I also have KoboTouch which has the tab you mentioned. Should the Kobo Reader Device Interface be disabled?
The "Kobo Reader Device Interface" is for the original Kobo and the Kobo WiFi. The KoboTouch driver is for the Touch and all newer Kobo devices. It is safe to have both enabled. But, using the "Kobo Reader Device Interface" as a guide for how to configure the KoboTouch driver is very misleading. The options are very different. Especially for the collections. And there is no mention of series info.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The "Kobo Reader Device Interface" is for the original Kobo and the Kobo WiFi. The KoboTouch driver is for the Touch and all newer Kobo devices. It is safe to have both enabled. But, using the "Kobo Reader Device Interface" as a guide for how to configure the KoboTouch driver is very misleading. The options are very different. Especially for the collections. And there is no mention of series info.
Thanks for the correction. I'll disable the KRDI since I'll never need it. I've edited the directions for the proper plugin.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #9
intwtl

Series books out of published order

Thanks for the information and explanations.

I have followed the instructions and all went well as far as the series being transferred to the Kobo.

On my Sony, the books were in order according to the series number (in the basic metadata). This is not working on the Kobo. The books are out of order.

Is there a way to fix this on the Kobo ?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #10
intwtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
In addition to what JSWolf said, the main difference to note between Sony and Kobo is that Kobos need a 2-step process each time you send new books.

The first connect via USB you send-to-device your new books.

When you disconnect the Kobo loads the new books into its database - you'll see a Processing... screen.

When you connect via USB again the calibre driver will sort out your Collection data for all books on the device. You don't need to do anything other than let calibre do its stuff before disconnecting.
OK, I spoke too soon on my last post. What is quoted above is correct. If I would have read it closer I would have understood initially.....

Many thanks for the assistance and explanations.......
Old 12-20-2017, 12:58 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for the information and explanations.

I have followed the instructions and all went well as far as the series being transferred to the Kobo.

On my Sony, the books were in order according to the series number (in the basic metadata). This is not working on the Kobo. The books are out of order.

Is there a way to fix this on the Kobo ?
In the various lists, there are filters and sort at the top. You can change the sort whenever you want by tapping on it the current one and choosing what you want. One of the sort orders is "Series". The selected order will be remembered and is remembered separately for each collection or author.