Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-15-2022, 04:39 AM   #1
MentorousMushroo
MentorousMushroo began at the beginning.

Device: android
Question Does using Google Translate built-in KOReader share your IP with Google?

Hi! A privacy conscious question: does Google receive any identifiable information(other than the text itself) about the person who translates texts with the built-in translate function? Say, does it send Google my IP?

I know I can just not to use it. But it's a very handy feature, and I would be using it if it wouldn't share information about myself.

for attention! This is the best reader app in the world.
MentorousMushroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:58 AM   #2
Leseratte_10
Groupie
Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB Era, PB InkPad 3 Pro
Checking KOReader's source code, it does use Google Translate directly, at translate.googleapis.com: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...lator.lua#L146

This obviously means Google knows your IP, as you cannot communicate with a server without telling it where to send its response.

The KOreader developers are not hosting their own translation (proxy) server just so users can hide their IP from Google.
Leseratte_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert