Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How many patches do you use with your Kobo?
None. I just want to read. 39 32.23%
1-5. My Kobo devices are good enough even without patches. 28 23.14%
5-10. No need to overwhelm my poor Kobo. 13 10.74%
10-15. Patching really enhances the Kobo experience. 18 14.88%
15-20. The default options just won't do. 7 5.79%
More than 20. I could never use my Kobo without patching. 14 11.57%
All of them. Because I can. 2 1.65%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #1
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Do you patch your Kobo? How many patches do you use?

Just out of curiosity, how many of the Kobo owners here patch their devices and how many patches do they generally use? If you don't patch, would you care to elaborate why not? And of course you're also welcome to discuss why you do.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:41 AM   #2
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Only have the mini clock mod installed.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 03:25 AM   #3
jsessions
Enthusiast
jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo & Clara HD
Pretty happy with standard Kobo setup but use kobopatch to unhide games on a Clara HD and like Gibbo use the miniclock mod. Also tried alternate readers like KOReader but Kobo's normal reader is fine for the majority of my ebooks which are epubs so uninstalled.

Is there a patch to reinstall full menu options while reading as new firmware just offers 'back to <last section visited>' making everything else a two-click manoeuvre?
jsessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I use the advanced fonts control patch, the custom margins kepub patch and the reduced footer size patch. I think that's all
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:02 AM   #5
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
My Kobo is exactly as it came out of the box three years ago. It's not even connected to WiFi so the firmware is what came with the device when I bought it.

It -
Stores books.
Opens books.
Turns pages.
Changes font size.
Alters brightness of screen.
Closes books.

What more do you want from an eReader?

If I want to browse the Internet or look at photos I use a laptop or tablet that are far more suited to that task than an eReader.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
None, because I don't know what the patches are for or can find an easy explanation of how to do it.
Maybe a pinned thread with the above info might increase uptake...
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:36 AM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I like the opportunity of cumstomizing my readers and Kobo offers the widest range of customization possible with the help of mods and patches. I have about 25-30 patches activated and don't update to a new firmware unless the patches are out.
It's not just about reading, but also reading with as pleasing a view as possible. For that I need my own fonts, line spacing, margins, a clock etc.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:36 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I answered none
1) mostly because I don't want to risk bricking it
2) It is pretty good the way it is with factory FW (I did the latest update via side load)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #9
Cesco
Connoisseur
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura 2-Aura H2O-K1-LibraH2O
All my Kobo E readers are patched, with "remove footer (rov3) on home page, and mini clock".
With the old fw, I also installed screensavers - night mode and rename footer (with my name and my phone number)
Ciao
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I'd like to give mini clock a go on my Forma, is there any simple tutorial for getting it done? I looked at the miniclock thread but its a bit too technical, where do you actually start?
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #11
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
I like(d) the Kobo reader configuration (last FW version has changed some things that I do not like, many aesthetically and others from less simplicity of use), but I am very happy introducing some changes that improve my reading experience.

These are my used patches in FW 4.15:
  • Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading
  • Increase TOC level indentation and fix extra indentation bug
  • My 24 line spacing values
  • Custom left & right margins
  • Freedom to advanced fonts control
  • ePub fixed top/bottom margins
  • Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs
  • Allow searches on Extra dictionaries
  • Clock display duration
  • ePub uniform font scale
  • Show all games
  • Remove extra space on selection menu
  • Fix reading stats/author name cut off when series is showing

The ones that I consider more important (I cannot live without them ) are:
  • Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading (I can live by now with FW 4.15 and syncing my books from Kobo ).
  • My 24 line spacing values (better control of spacing).
  • Custom left & right margins (better control of margins, removing useless ones).
  • Allow searches on Extra dictionaries (this is the best, as I have three complementary spanish dictionaries installed and I always find the word )
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I picked 1-5 (it may get more). I would rather not patch, but since I spend a lot of time reading, I justify it as minimal effort to get a huge benefit: text just the way I like it (font size, line spacing, weight, ...)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I am VERY UNHAPPY if I have to read without the patches, whether reading PDFs or kepubs (I don't like epubs).

I went and counted how many patches I have: all three libadobe options, 14 libnickel and 6 nickel ones.

The most important for me are those within the books: margins, font size, line spacing, advanced font control, space available for dictionary pop-ups and book details.

Next are getting rid of that pesky 3rd row (paired with bonus increased cover size), and showing confirmation dialog before upgrading.

I'm not sure whether I'll swap the chapter/title in the header/footer even though I asked for it at the beginning of the remodeled UI: I've been getting used to it since I bought the Libra (17 September), and it sorts of makes sense to have it correspond to the line just under it, which is the whole book at present
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I learned long ago (especially during my IBM systems days) that lean and clean is the safest, happiest approach.

No patches!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
double
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote