Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #226
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
> Before plugging the usb cable put it to sleep.
> Plug it in let calibre detect and read the device metadata.....

I assume you mean put the Nook to sleep first.
You don't mention waking the Nook up. I assume you do that once the USB cable is plugged in, and cick the button on the Nook to connect the USB -- right?
Hank, now I don't remember which Nook you have. I have both a Glowlight Plus and a Glowlight 3 and they connect to Calibre differently.

The Glowlight Plus, you just connect the USB cable to it and it connects. Doesn't matter if the device is asleep or awake.

The Glowlight 3, I connect the cable, it wakes the device up, though I still have to slide to unlock. When I do that a window pops up on the Nook screen and I have to click/tap a 'connect' button connect.

Overall, the Glowlight Plus is easier to sideload to and doesn't have the problem with cycling through all the books and so forth.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #227
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
I have the GL3. As I think I mentioned earlier I seem to have solved the problem with the Nook slowing down to a dead stop requiring restarting. And then forgetting all the sideloaded books -- by mounting it on the Mac OSX desktop and running Disk First Aid on it. Sometimes it also forgets which WiFi station it was using and forgets the nighttime light setting too.

I'm guessing the Nook GL3 just drops a pointer to a list from time to time and loses track of all the sideloaded books, as they remain visible in the Mac file system.

I would guess whoever wrote the software is no longer working at BN.

Last edited by hank; 01-25-2019 at 11:42 AM.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #228
hank
Dinosaur

Well, as I wrote 15 months ago,
> Waiting eagerly to see the Nook update its operating system,
> hoping the disappearing-books issue goes away.

The damn thing still corrupts all its sideloaded files intermittently for no reason I can figure out. They're still all there accoring to the Mac desktop view of the Nook as a folder/icon, but when this happens, the Nook can't see any of them. It only shows the Nook manual and the couple of books I've purchased through BN.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #229
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, as I wrote 15 months ago,
> Waiting eagerly to see the Nook update its operating system,
> hoping the disappearing-books issue goes away.

The damn thing still corrupts all its sideloaded files intermittently for no reason I can figure out. They're still all there accoring to the Mac desktop view of the Nook as a folder/icon, but when this happens, the Nook can't see any of them. It only shows the Nook manual and the couple of books I've purchased through BN.
If you search, does the Nook find them?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #230
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Try taking out 'odd' symbols in the names of the books, like hyphens, apostrophes, both " and ' quotation marks, semi-colons, colons,and _. It has helped with my Glowlight Plus and might help with the newer one. I also do it when I sideload books to my Nook 7 in tablet.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #231
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Or just give up and buy a Kobo.
I did.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #232
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
That's weird. I don't use my Glowlight 3 too much. But most of my books are sideloaded via calibre. And I've never had them disappear or any of the other "forgetfulness" you've had.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #233
hank
Dinosaur

No odd symbols in the names.
Yes, searching finds the books, but the "Library" doesn't show or count them whenthis happens.
And when the Nook is mounted on the Mac desktop, opening that file folder shows all the books are there.

This always starts with an incredible slowdown -- for example of the "swipe to open" arrow thing -- and usually with a "cannot open Reader" or something "has stopped" message.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #234
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Yes, searching finds the books, but the "Library" doesn't show or count them whenthis happens.

This always starts with an incredible slowdown -- for example of the "swipe to open" arrow thing -- and usually with a "cannot open Reader" or something "has stopped" message.
I think when you sideload to the Glowlight 3 and disconnect, it rebuilds some internal database. When I disconnect, I usually let the thing sit for a bit before I bother accessing it.

I have noticed that no matter what is being read on it, after I sideload and disconnect, it always thinks I'm reading The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe and the books tend to pop in one by one.

I guess what I'm getting at is next time, after you eject, just let it be for a few minutes. If you've tried that already and it didn't work, I'm out of ideas again.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #235
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think when you sideload to the Glowlight 3 and disconnect, it rebuilds some internal database. When I disconnect, I usually let the thing sit for a bit before I bother accessing it.
This. And the more books, the longer it takes. The Kobo Clara will display a screen telling you that it is processing the new material. It doesn't let you do anything else until it is ready.

The Nook G3 doesn't. If you make it do anything too soon it seems to interrupt the process.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:42 AM   #236
hank
Dinosaur

Bingo.

72 books sideloaded, and it takes maybe 7 hours to rebuild its database and show them to me when this slowdown strikes. If I look before that it tells me all the sideloaded files are corrupted and should be deleted Y/N?

So did BN lay off their only Nook programmer??
Old 04-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #237
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Bingo.

72 books sideloaded, and it takes maybe 7 hours to rebuild its database and show them to me when this slowdown strikes. If I look before that it tells me all the sideloaded files are corrupted and should be deleted Y/N?

So did BN lay off their only Nook programmer??
7 hours? Mine takes maybe ten minutes, and I have a couple of hundred books sideloaded on it.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #238
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Side loaded books disappearing

I am also experiencing disappearing side loaded books. I side loaded about 7 books. Read 2 of them, and the rest of them disappeared from my Glowlight 3.

I just emailed the Nook Development team asking them if they are working on the problem. I am not sure that the Nook Development Team still exists, but if I receive a response, I'll post it here.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #239
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
O.K., just heard back from the Nook Developer. He said they are unaware of any problems with side loading books, and asked for more information. If possible, I would like to hear back from anyone that has had problems with side loaded books disappearing, or, book shelfs disappearing, ASAP. If possible, can you provide:

Describe what is happening? Some or all side loaded books disappear? Book shelfs disappear? Can you describe how to make the problem appear, or is it random? Does your PC/Mac still see the books on your Nook via USB, but your Nook says they aren't there? etc.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:39 PM   #240
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I thought books were disappearing too but the Nook combines books by the same author and when an author has more than one book only one is added to the final count of books on the device. I haven't looked at this in a while so I might have the details wrong. In any case once I turned that feature off in settings everything was fine.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote