Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
Johnstoirvin
Johnstoirvin began at the beginning.

Device: None
Internet radio problem, HD 8 gen 7

I have two hd 8 gen 7 tablets and a moto g5 plus phone, all with same internet radio app. With all three devices sitting next to the wifi router, some stations continually buffer on one hd 8, but connect quickly and work fine on the other hd 8 and the phone. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app and rebooting hd 8 does not help. Any suggestions? Everything worked fine on all three devices until two weeks ago and I changed nothing on them.
Johnstoirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Standard troubleshooting is force stop the app, clear cache, retry.

Step 2 is force stop and clear data. That is equivalent to uninstall, reinstall.

Step 3 with fire tablet is soft reset, Google it.

Try each step then check if problem is fixed before resorting to the next option

Check free space on the problem device also, and uninstall or archive other stuff if that is running low.

Ps to see if the problem is with the specific radio app or with the WiFi. Try streaming a video on the problem device and see how that goes
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Johnstoirvin
Johnstoirvin began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Standard troubleshooting is force stop the app, clear cache, retry.

Step 2 is force stop and clear data. That is equivalent to uninstall, reinstall.

Step 3 with fire tablet is soft reset, Google it.

Try each step then check if problem is fixed before resorting to the next option

Check free space on the problem device also, and uninstall or archive other stuff if that is running low.

Ps to see if the problem is with the specific radio app or with the WiFi. Try streaming a video on the problem device and see how that goes
I appreciate your suggestions, but I have tried all of them more than once, to no avail. Another thing I tried was to download a different radio station app on the problem HD 8 as well as on the phone. Several of the same stations that wouldn't load in the old app still wouldn't load in the new app on the HD 8, however they loaded and played fine on the phone. This is what leads me to believe the problem is with the HD 8 tablet. I may have to call the Fire tablet he!p line, but the last time I did that, it took forever because I couldn't understand the guy because of his accent.
Johnstoirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstoirvin View Post

played fine on the phone. This is what leads me to believe the problem is with the HD 8 tablet. I may have to call the Fire tablet he!p line, but the last time I did that, it took forever because I couldn't understand the guy because of his accent.
Try the keyboard chat rather than the phone.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it seems like there is a problem with wifi on that device,
so test with streaming video and with any wifi analyser apps you can grab
did u actually do soft rest, - hold power button for 40 secs, ignoring shut down? dialogue , until it goes off - then restart. that is one step away from a factory reset, and it is what amazon will have u try
there could be some junk in a wifi cache that a reset will clear
i have know these tablets get into similar buffering behavior with video, which is cleared by restart or by soft reset,

as an alternative to chat, use the option to get amazon to call you - in office hours, you are more likely to get someone in your own country
Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I actually have two HD 8 tablets both 2017 and one has a real problem with streaming and the other is fine. I don't know I'm thinking different batches seeing one was from 12/2017 and 7/2018 possibly a defective WiFi receiver. It stutters, buffers and disconnects at random and a restart is the only thing that fixes it. Really annoying when you try to watch a live event. The other one works great, no problem. One is black which has the problem and the other is blue which works fine. It's a mystery.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

defective wifi chip hypothesis does fit the observed symptoms, unfortunately, not reparable or replaceable.
if it were mine I'd ebay it as faulty/for parts/spares as I hate owning stuff that does not work properly, and there's always some optimist on ebay willing to take it off your hands. e.g. would suit someone who needs a new screen for theirs and fancies their chances of swapping it out
i would , optimistically, do a full factory reset and re-test first though, and also browse amazon forums in case others are reporting similar issues and have suggestions
Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Found this, fyi.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlefire/...ing_t1_ds0xnem.

But, does not account for only one device being affected.
You could try setting a static IP address on that. Though as per the link
Old 01-30-2019, 04:07 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It could very well be this. I'll give a static IP address a try. Thanks.

Sent from my Moto E
Old 01-30-2019, 04:58 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

worth trying, before scrapping it. it does fit your symptoms.
but why don't both your devices have the same issue, if that's the explanation

FYI with my router I can set the default lease length for a DHCP address to 1 week ( that's the longest option)
but I prefer static IP for fire tablets as you cannot change DNS in tablet wifi options unless you also input a static address, and I like to use open DNS to filter out some click bait from news apps etc.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
worth trying, before scrapping it. it does fit your symptoms.
but why don't both your devices have the same issue, if that's the explanation

FYI with my router I can set the default lease length for a DHCP address to 1 week ( that's the longest option)
but I prefer static IP for fire tablets as you cannot change DNS in tablet wifi options unless you also input a static address, and I like to use open DNS to filter out some click bait from news apps etc.
More than like if it's the IP, it's the number assign to it. I have like twenty devices connected to the router. Maybe Amazon only likes a certain range.

I use Google DNS servers not my ISP which can be slow. If it's a router issue I'll figure it out, I just never thought to look there.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Can you not set the open DNS servers in the DNS configuration of your router rather than on the device itself? That way, all devices connecting to the router will use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hd 8 gen 7, internet radio