Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
mkkid
mkkid began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle or Sony prs500 or even Sony Prs700

Im looking at buying an e-reader,but im not sure of which model?
I like the idea of a Kindle,it looks smart,great range of book,looks pretty easy to work but apparently you dont actually own the books.
Does the Calibre software back them up for you on your own pc.
If not,id look at the Sony but,im not sure which one.
Any advice would be greatfully received
mkkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know what you mean by "you don't actually own the books"; you "own" them as much as you own any own digital download. Back them up yourself if you're really that worried. You have to rights to the content, which means that you can't, say, re-sell them, any more than you can re-sell an iTunes download. That's true for pretty much anything that you download, and it's true for all eBook stores just as much as for Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
mkkid

Thanks for reply Harry

what i meant about buying books for a kindle,is that have read the download of a book only last for eight years. I have various chess book,that i have been looking at 30+ years
If i bought a Sony e-reader,i actually own the download and can put on other device that can read the format.That whats important to me.
From what,i have read,i didnt know you can back up your books on a kindle,can you.
I have an i-phone and have bought software that backs up my i-tunes,so i can put them on other devices,like my nokia 5800 or Archos player.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Sounds like you are talking about the old DRM problem.
Sony, Kindle, B&N use different DRM implementations.
That is if you buy an DRM ePub book from Sony Bookstore you can't read it on your Nook unless you remove DRM from the book.
Kindle books can't be read without Kindle (software) unless you remove DRM from the books.

Unfortunately most stores are selling DRM protected books which is a problem when you try to change devices. Best to buy books without DRM. That way you can copy+read them to any device which supports the format.

BTW when you buy a kindle-book from Amazon you own the book. Which doesn't mean you can do with it whatever you want.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkid View Post
Thanks for reply Harry

what i meant about buying books for a kindle,is that have read the download of a book only last for eight years. I have various chess book,that i have been looking at 30+ years
If i bought a Sony e-reader,i actually own the download and can put on other device that can read the format.That whats important to me.
From what,i have read,i didnt know you can back up your books on a kindle,can you.
I have an i-phone and have bought software that backs up my i-tunes,so i can put them on other devices,like my nokia 5800 or Archos player.
You can backup your Kindle book purchases to your PC.

As far as longevity-its always a question with DRM'ed content-and the fear of getting cut off/orphaned when a company goes out of business or just cuts and runs.

To me, it is partly a matter of critical mass-Yahoo could cancel their DRM music system, and it didn't really affect that many people (although there was an outcry/backtracking).

I think Amazon is rapidly approaching the point of no return in terms of long term support for their DRM...they've just moved too many books to be able to just let the DRM servers die without having a contingency plan of some sort...well, at least I hope they have several contingency plans.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The best thing to do is to remove the DRM from a book as soon as you buy it (which may of may not be legal, depending on where you live).
Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
mkkid

Is there software,i could buy to do that,i just bought kindle off Amazon and im additionally looking at a second hand Prs-505.
If a book has DRM, does that mean after hits a certain date, is it unusable or does it just restricted to that format.

Last edited by mkkid; 08-30-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Is there software,i could buy to do that,i just bought kindle off Amazon and im additionally looking at a second hand Prs-505.
Just check out Google and find something related to stripping drm. With keywords like... oh I don't know,maybe "Kindle for pc strip drm", or something like that

Quote:
If a book has DRM, does that mean after hits a certain date is it unusable...
No, It's not
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
No, It's not
Unless it's a library book. That's how library DRM works.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
If a book has DRM, does that mean after hits a certain date is it unusable or does it just restricted me to that format.

The DRM makes it more difficult to move a book from one device to another, so between a Kindle and a Sony. As Harry said, the only time a DRM would cause a book to disappear from any device is if it was a library book.

The only way that you will lose your Amazon books is if you do something that causes Amazon to cancel your Amazon account or if Amazon goes out of business. Otherwise, every book you buy from Amazon will be archived for you by Amazon. There are some folks who download all their books to their computer just to be safe but I have not found that necessary. If you chose to download your books to your computer it is very easy to do, simply select Donlad to Computer when you are in your Kindle Account.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
mkkid

Thanks for your replies guys,just one more stupid question as im a novice,if i have kindle program on my pc, will i be able to read the books,i have bought from my kindle tablet on my pc.Once ive sync machines
Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yes. You can sync books across Kindle readers and programs.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you chose to download your books to your computer it is very easy to do, simply select Donlad to Computer when you are in your Kindle Account.
Or just copy them from the "documents" folder of your Kindle while it's connected to your computer via USB.