Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
glitch44
glitch44 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no reader yet
Question Kindle DX + sugarsync = PDF heaven?

I was wondering if someone who has both sugarsync (free accounts are available for <2GB synced) and a Kindle DX could try pointing their kindle browser to the mobile sugarsync page to see if the browser can log in and read PDFs?

This would be my dream solution-- PDFs on the computer but accessible via wifi at any time without having to sync.

Sugarsync mobile page:

https://m.sugarsync.com/login
glitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
I wish the news were better - Navigation through the mobile web browser is OK but a little clumsy because it only shows 10 folders or files at a time because of the way the html is structured.

HOWEVER: when you try to actually download a PDF, the mobile browser on the Kindle gives a ridiculous error,
Quote:
"Basic Web cannot download this type of file. Only files with the extension .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI or .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle."
This seems to be an unfortunate and unreasonable limitation, since the DX supports PDF files natively. The SugarSync browser supports a mail option as an alternative to download. That might work but it's going to cost $.15/meg or something on the Amazon side.

I've sent this email to kindledx-feedback@amazon.com and invite others to do the same:

Quote:
Greetings,

I can't believe that the Kindle DX, which is supposed to handle PDF files natively, is unable to download them using the Basic Web Browser. This might have made sense for Kindle 1 and 2, which had no PDF support, but hobbling the Kindle DX like this makes no sense. It makes the Internet into a giant candy store with a big lock on it.

When you try to load a PDF, the mobile browser on the Kindle gives an error, "Basic Web cannot download this type of file. Only files iwth the extension .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI or .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle."

This is a significant, needless limitation, and I am hoping to hear that this will be updated soon. I have a week left on my evaluation and this is a DEAL BREAKER for me.

Regards,

Matt

Last edited by memobug; 07-02-2009 at 01:40 AM.
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
glitch44

Thanks for the info, Memobug. That's really disappointing. I read many short PDFs and I saw that as a great way to burn through them without having to manually sync. I'll sent feedback to Amazon too, although as potential customer is holding off until they fix such a glaring error.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
But will it work if you have backed up your .PRC or .MOBI files - say from this site - can you actually access them via Whispernet and download them onto the DX? I used to load them onto an SD card for my K1, but was looking into Sugarsync - since it has a mobile interface. Can you verify this works on a Kindle - for recognized file types?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
glitch44

Poohbear-- I can't test because I don't have a kindle yet. Maybe memobug can confirm sugarsync + MOBI/ AZW/ TXT etc.

As for PDF, here's the response from Amazon:

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for writing your valuable suggestion to improve Kindle for PDF with built in internet browser which can download PDF's.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused in this regard.

Just so you know that the, bookmarked web pages are only for your reference and not for downloading the content.

At this point of time, we don't have the feature of built in internet browser for downloading PDF's. I apologize for this inconvenience.

It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all aspects. Your valuable feedback will help us to improve the selection and service we provide and we're glad you took time to write to us.

I really appreciate your thoughts and I will be sure to forward your comments to the Kindle team regarding the built in internet browser to download PDF's for consideration. As always, please feel free to contact us should you have future suggestions, questions or comments.

Thank you for making Kindle a success by owning and using it. We'll honor your commitment by continuing to provide the quality product availability and support you expect for your Kindle.
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
But will it work if you have backed up your .PRC or .MOBI files - say from this site - can you actually access them via Whispernet and download them onto the DX? I used to load them onto an SD card for my K1, but was looking into Sugarsync - since it has a mobile interface. Can you verify this works on a Kindle - for recognized file types?
I don't use Sugarsync, but I do run a (very, very) basic web server on my Mac that lets me browse my Calibre directory structure and download. It works very well (and is free ).
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Well - I opened a Sugarsync account and put a nonDRM .MOBI book in it. I then accessed my account through the mobile link given above on a K1. You have 2 options then: view the file or send a link to it. I attempted to read the file - and the screen filled with formatting gibberish - didn't see an option to download the file onto the K1. Will play more with the site on a K2 & DX. If you could access stored books here using a mobile interface, it would be a workaround for the folders problem and the lack of a SD card slot in the K2 & DX.

Did some more playing on the K1: not surprisingly, files saved in HTML format will load and display correctly via Sugarsync. I can't get others to do so - the interface insists on displaying the formatting characters. If the Kindle web interface could be tweaked to not do so, you could at least access and read stuff you've stored online.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-02-2009 at 01:29 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
Still locked out of the Candy Store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch44 View Post
Poohbear-- I can't test because I don't have a kindle yet. Maybe memobug can confirm sugarsync + MOBI/ AZW/ TXT etc.

As for PDF, here's the response from Amazon:
At least your agent understood the issue. Mine denied there was any facility for downloads at all, which isn't true, because the manual does say it supports MOBI, TXT, Amazon Format...

Quote:
Hello,

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Per your email, please note that, you'll be presented with a list of bookmarked web pages when you use the basic web feature from which you can select then from your Kindle.

Please understand that, the bookmarked web pages are only for your reference and not for downloading the content. I apologize for this inconvenience.

You can read content you buy from the Kindle Store (such as books, newspapers, magazines, and blogs) on any Kindle device registered to your Amazon.com account. Devices include the Kindle (1st Generation), Kindle, Kindle DX, and Kindle for iPhone (though newspapers and magazines are unavailable for the Kindle for iPhone).

At this point of time, we don't have the feature of built in internet browser for downloading PDF's.

It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all aspects. Your valuable feedback will help us to improve the selection and service we provide and we're glad you took time to write to us.

I really appreciate your thoughts and I will be sure to forward your comments to the Kindle team regarding the built in internet browser to download PDF's for consideration. As always, please feel free to contact us should you have future suggestions, questions or comments.

Thank you for making Kindle a success by owning and using it. We'll honor your commitment by continuing to provide the quality product availability and support you expect for your Kindle.

For more information, please consult the User's Guide for your Kindle. You can download a copy and find additional instructions on our Help pages here:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

I hope this helps. If you still have any concerns or need further assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851. You can also reach us via phone or e-mail through our Help pages here:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

Thanks for choosing Kindle!

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
stampsm
stampsm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
basically amazon has to pay sprint .12 per meg of data the kindle downloads. that is why they charge you .15 per meg to email pdf files to yourself. imagine what would happen to amazon of every user started to download 100 megs worth of pdf files every month without them getting any compensation? 100 megs is very reasonable considering the size of most pdf files. It would cost amazon 12 dollar a month per user who did that. is there any financial way to support that? no, the 15c per meg covers amazon's bill sprint gives them, plus server costs.
stampsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
glitch44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsm View Post
basically amazon has to pay sprint .12 per meg of data the kindle downloads. that is why they charge you .15 per meg to email pdf files to yourself. imagine what would happen to amazon of every user started to download 100 megs worth of pdf files every month without them getting any compensation? 100 megs is very reasonable considering the size of most pdf files. It would cost amazon 12 dollar a month per user who did that. is there any financial way to support that? no, the 15c per meg covers amazon's bill sprint gives them, plus server costs.
Yeah, in many ways I would much prefer having a wireless G/N card in the Kindle DX than whispernet. Rarely am I away from my home wifi and if I am I'm at a hotel and using the hotel internet with airport express. Wifi would save Sprint's network, allow us more freedom, and would eliminate the $.15 dilemma.

For my purposes it would work much better-- the scanned screenplays I read could be dropped into a dropbox/ sugarsync folder on my desktop and instantly be available on the Kindle.

Of course, one of the negatives would be the power drain by wifi. If they could afford to put a dual whispernet / wifi adapter in the Kindle, perhaps the could develop a push notification system:

New content in an Amazon S3 folder --> push notification of new content over whispernet --> kindle gets the notification and turns on wifi adapter --> files synced over wifi --> wifi shuts off to save battery.

Too much wishful thinking probably but it would work great for my needs.

Tags
kindle dx, sugarsync, wifi