Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #31
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I wonder if this next firmware will be for all ereaders, not only Forma.

(We can, of course, install it anyway, but you know.)
as far as i'm concerned it would be nice if the older firmwares like 3.16.0 for example worked on the newer ereaders just like the newer firmwares work on the older devices.

please someone feel free to correct me on this if i'm wrong.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
How on earth can you expect old firmware to work on newer devices! The hardware is different; screen resolutions change: cou's change.

You seriously think that vendors would go to the expense of adding no new functionality to their code; heck not even bug fixes; but would take the time to add the new drivers etc. to old firmware. Heck in some cases I bet you'd find that the newer hardware required newer kernel builds.

I wish I knew what planet you're living on!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #33
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
How on earth can you expect old firmware to work on newer devices! The hardware is different; screen resolutions change: cou's change.

You seriously think that vendors would go to the expense of adding no new functionality to their code; heck not even bug fixes; but would take the time to add the new drivers etc. to old firmware. Heck in some cases I bet you'd find that the newer hardware required newer kernel builds.

I wish I knew what planet you're living on!
that's what i thought. thanks for the clarity.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:57 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I wonder if this next firmware will be for all ereaders, not only Forma.

(We can, of course, install it anyway, but you know.)
There are two possibilities for the next firmware release:

Another 4.11.xxxxx for the Forma only. I would expect another 4.11.x if there is hang/freeze they want to fix.

4.12.x is what I think will be released for other devices. It might get restricted to the Aura ONE and later, but I hope it goes to everything (but probably not the Mini). When 4.11 came out, I was predicting about now for the next release for all the devices. I'd like to see it before Christmas, but I have the feeling it will be next year.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice

A gentle reminder to all posters that courtesy is expected at all times. We want MR to be a friendly and welcoming place to all our posters.

Thanks.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-29-2018 at 08:48 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I think that is a design decision. As the progress isn't always being displayed, they are showing the progress when the menu bars are displayed.
Than is there a bug or poor design choice? With the footer, I get hours, with the progress I get pages.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Really, I'd rather it defaulted to showing the place where you are, since nine times out of ten when I tap the center, that's what I want to quickly see.
If they left it the way it was, you would have seen what you wanted 9 (or is it 8) times out of ten, and I would have seen what I wanted 8 or 9 times out of ten. Now I see what I want to see 2 times out of ten.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Than is there a bug or poor design choice? With the footer, I get hours, with the progress I get pages.
That is a different issue to what I thought we were talking about. I was only talking about which of the popups gets displayed, not the contents. I don't consider this to be a bug, and I don't consider it a poor design choice. Just one different to what you might have chosen.

As to the navigation bar contents, it has always shown the page numbers. I'm not sure it should have been changed to match the progress display used in the footer. And, again, I'm not sure it should be changed because the footer isn't being displayed. But, overall, what happens there is a design choice, not a bug. And it demonstrate very well why I've always said doing a full screen mode, or any significant interface change, is a lot harder than everyone seems to think.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:39 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That is a different issue to what I thought we were talking about. I was only talking about which of the popups gets displayed, not the contents. I don't consider this to be a bug, and I don't consider it a poor design choice. Just one different to what you might have chosen.

It is the same issue. You justified the change saying they did it (changed the default bottom menu always being progress so what was the footer information would be displayed). If that is their logic, than the progress should match the footer. IMO.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is the same issue. You justified the change saying they did it (changed the default bottom menu always being progress so what was the footer information would be displayed). If that is their logic, than the progress should match the footer. IMO.
And that perfectly demonstrates the problem. We each have different opinions on how things should be. I think the design change to display the navigation bar all the time is reasonable, but I'm not convinced that changing the style of the progress shown in that bar is correct. If they change it, do they also change it when the footer is display? If so, maybe the error is that Kobo didn't change the navigation bar when they added changing the progress display options in the footer.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And that perfectly demonstrates the problem. We each have different opinions on how things should be. I think the design change to display the navigation bar all the time is reasonable, but I'm not convinced that changing the style of the progress shown in that bar is correct. If they change it, do they also change it when the footer is display? If so, maybe the error is that Kobo didn't change the navigation bar when they added changing the progress display options in the footer.
Exactly, different opinions. And I disagree with Kobo's latest implemented opinion, and your justification for the change. IMO, YMMV, ...
Old 11-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #42
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:

I just think that the last footer pop-up should be shown in any situation, should it be in full page mode or not. Any other decision is a bad decision, because it's not my decision.

Seriously, it's hard to understand why in full page mode, I always get the page number arrows pop-up, but when the header and footer are visible, I get the last pop-up I've selected. But, I'm just one tap away from the info I want, so it's not that bad. Still, it could easily be better.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I think that is a design decision. As the progress isn't always being displayed, they are showing the progress when the menu bars are displayed.
Coming back to this (yet again)... Was this new feature in a beta test? Does Kobo mention new features/changes in beta releases/testing?
Old 11-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just think that the last footer pop-up should be shown in any situation, should it be in full page mode or not. Any other decision is a bad decision, because it's not my decision.

Seriously, it's hard to understand why in full page mode, I always get the page number arrows pop-up, but when the header and footer are visible, I get the last pop-up I've selected. But, I'm just one tap away from the info I want, so it's not that bad. Still, it could easily be better.
Just to be clear here, with the footer displayed, what pops up changes depending on what you are doing. You get whatever you selected the last time. And nothing pops up the first time the menu bars are displayed after opening a book. The overall behaviour is different.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Coming back to this (yet again)... Was this new feature in a beta test? Does Kobo mention new features/changes in beta releases/testing?
Yes, Kobo does list the changes in the betas. The footer/header hiding options were mentioned, but, this wasn't. But, as I said, I think it was considered to be part of the overall footer/header changes. Though, sometimes I think that they deliberately don't mention a change to see how we react.

And I didn't notice it during the. Or at least I hadn't put it together. When it was mentioned here, I tested and realised I had seen something, but, because of the overall way the popups work, and the fact I like the footer, I hadn't connected the dots.