Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Piccadilly
Piccadilly began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
A few questions about Sony & Adobe DRM before I buy a T2.

Hi guys. I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the 'What Reader Should I Buy' section, but I chose here so that I have more people helping me and less people telling me not to get a Sony...

I currently have a Kindle 4, and I'd like to switch to a Sony PRS-T2 on pay-day. The main reasons for doing so are: expandable storage, touch screen and buttons, more comfortable shape in my hands, native epub support.

I just want to cover all of my bases before I buy it, considering it's one of the more expensive "big brand" readers and I just don't understand the limitations of DRM at all. I live in Australia, and I can't find an Australia Sony ebookstore. The two ebookstores that Sony recommends for Australians are Angus & Robertson and Bookworld - both stores use Adobe DRM.

I do have the necessary plug-ins installed in Calibre to overcome such issues, but I'd like to be able to avoid having to overcome them in the first place - I have no issues with DRM at all, as long as my books can be safe and sound.

- Do Kobo books work on a Sony reader without the aforementioned plug-in?
- Will DRM from A&R and Bookworld (and Kobo?) conflict with each other on my reader, even if it's all the same DRM?
- Can I use Calibre with books that have DRM on them? I don't want to edit them at all, and I don't want to read them in Calibre - I just want to use Calibre to manage the collections on the Sony.
- Can I create backups of books that have DRM on them? I know that I can't open the backup without Adobe Reader / an appropriate app / the e-reader, but if I back them up on a USB and for some reason my computer and Sony both crash, am I able to put them back onto my computer and Sony, DRM and all, by dragging and dropping from my USB?
- This page on Adobe's blog lists devices compatible with Adobe DRM. The Sony PRS-T2 isn't listed. Is this just a case of not having been recently updated, or is the T2 a bit buggy?

I really want to break out of the Amazon ecosystem, so if I can buy from three different bookstores and have back-ups of DRM-locked books, I'm going to buy a Sony PRS-T2.

Last edited by Piccadilly; 10-22-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Thinking faster than I was typing... :) Fingers missed a few words here and there.
Piccadilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccadilly View Post
- Do Kobo books work on a Sony reader without the aforementioned plug-in?
Yes. The key here is to download from the Kobo website. Either from the Sony Reader, or from your PC so that it is downloaded by Adobe Digital Editions.

Quote:
- Will DRM from A&R and Bookworld (and Kobo?) conflict with each other on my reader, even if it's all the same DRM?
As long as you use the same Adobe ID with all your downloads, there will be no conflicts.

Quote:
- Can I use Calibre with books that have DRM on them? I don't want to edit them at all, and I don't want to read them in Calibre - I just want to use Calibre to manage the collections on the Sony.
Not sure.

Quote:
- Can I create backups of books that have DRM on them? I know that I can't open the backup without Adobe Reader / an appropriate app / the e-reader, but if I back them up on a USB and for some reason my computer and Sony both crash, am I able to put them back onto my computer and Sony, DRM and all, by dragging and dropping from my USB?
Yes. Each book is attached to your Adobe ID, and devices get attached to an Adobe ID. There's nothing attaching a book and device together.

Quote:
- This page on Adobe's blog lists devices compatible with Adobe DRM. The Sony PRS-T2 isn't listed. Is this just a case of not having been recently updated, or is the T2 a bit buggy?
The list is out of date. The T2 works fine with Adobe DRM. Purchases you buy from Sony directly use Adobe DRM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Piccadilly
Piccadilly began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thank you, that was extremely helpful.
Piccadilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Of course if you move the DRM restriction all your questions are answered too...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Ashartus
Enthusiast
Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

Yes - I used to use Calibre to manage books with DRM on my Sony.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert