Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
avizz1017
avizz1017 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Dictionary for Calibre

Ever since an early age going to school, I was taught that if I was reading something and did not know the meaning of a word, I should go and look it in a dictionary to see what the meaning of the word was. I was wondering if their was a plugin for Calibre that allows you to do that, or possibly that it could be added as a feature of Calibre. Am interested in what other people think about this.

Last edited by avizz1017; 01-02-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: adding meaning to content of original post
avizz1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by avizz1017 View Post
I should go and look it in a dictionary to see what the meaning of the word was. I was wondering if their was a plugin for Calibre that allows you to do that
No special plugin required. If viewing in calibre's viewer, highlight the word, right click (ctrl-L) and select Lookup in dictionary.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
avizz1017
avizz1017 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
My post for dictionary

Thank you very much for your info. Funny how simple it was, but I was never seeing anything in the FAQs or other things that I looked at. I think the Internet is great how people help other people learn and things. Thank you again
avizz1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
_iso9001_
_iso9001_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
is there a way to use my customized dictionary in calibre? ctrl+L directs to eng-eng dictionary but I want to use a different one
_iso9001_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Base
Base began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 701, PC under Windows 7 or Linux Mint
With my Pocketbook I'm used to have built-in dictionary. Would be nice to have such a feature in calibre instead of just having option which opens a tab in browser for me.
Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:24 AM   #6
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by _iso9001_ View Post
is there a way to use my customized dictionary in calibre? ctrl+L directs to eng-eng dictionary but I want to use a different one

You can specify a dictionary command in the viewer under Preferences->Dictionaries , if you know how to activate your dictionary.

I subscribe to an online English-> Danish dictionary and I have specified this command:

English: http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word={word}&dict=a000

You can have several languages, the calibre viewer will use the shown command if the language is English.

The word that is higlighted in the viewer will be merged in the command where you see {word}
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Base View Post
With my Pocketbook I'm used to have built-in dictionary. Would be nice to have such a feature in calibre instead of just having option which opens a tab in browser for me.
I use two 'gadgets' in Windows that work via hot keys: Word Web and The Sage, they each have a local dictionary/word lists and they can access online dictionaries (via built in browsers, not your regular browser).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:55 AM   #8
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I use two 'gadgets' in Windows that work via hot keys: Word Web and The Sage, they each have a local dictionary/word lists and they can access online dictionaries (via built in browsers, not your regular browser).

BR
I also use Word Web and I am very grateful for your info about using online dictionaries. I now have an excellent English->Danish dictionary for general use on my PC.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
mailings
mailings began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle / TabS / Surface3
Offline?

Is there any way to use offline dictionaries?

I don't always have wifi available.

I have a selection of stardict formated dictionaries that I currently use on a Tablet with Android.
In fact, the program I use in Android allows to search several dictionaries at the same time and consolidates the results in one view, so you can compare definitions between dictionaries.

It would be great if I could use those dictionaries in Calibre Viewer.

The way I can use dictionaries in Android is the main reason why I don't switch to another device.

Thank you.

Last edited by mailings; 08-27-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
mailings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:25 AM   #10
MarcoDiWA
MarcoDiWA began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
No change

I tried this but I couldn't get the dictionary to change to the one I want. Any ideas? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
You can specify a dictionary command in the viewer under Preferences->Dictionaries , if you know how to activate your dictionary.

I subscribe to an online English-> Danish dictionary and I have specified this command:

English: http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word={word}&dict=a000

You can have several languages, the calibre viewer will use the shown command if the language is English.

The word that is higlighted in the viewer will be merged in the command where you see {word}
MarcoDiWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 AM   #11
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoDiWA View Post
I tried this but I couldn't get the dictionary to change to the one I want. Any ideas? Thanks
Not really. The command that I gave as an example:

http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word={word}&dict=a000

does not work anymore. When I try it the calibre viewer gives this error message:

Quote:
calibre, version 3.34.0
ERROR: Invalid URL: The URL does not have the placeholder <b>{word}</b> in it.
I now use word web pro where you can specify dictionaries and other services. And it works everywhere on the screen. Windows.
Highly recommended!
Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that URL works fine for me in calibre 3.34 -- can anybody else reproduce?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
that URL works fine for me in calibre 3.34 -- can anybody else reproduce?
Well it does work. I forgot first to specify language. I copied the URL to the language field where I should have specified English.
Sorry
Old 11-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #14
tekeek
tekeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle HDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by avizz1017 View Post
Ever since an early age going to school, I was taught that if I was reading something and did not know the meaning of a word, I should go and look it in a dictionary to see what the meaning of the word was. I was wondering if their was a plugin for Calibre that allows you to do that, or possibly that it could be added as a feature of Calibre. Am interested in what other people think about this.
I was told exactly the same thing and is what I teach mine today. I keep physical dictionaries on hands for them to learn to use and use as form of etymology as I have about 4 different dictionaries from different periods.
tekeek is offline   Reply With Quote