Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
runningwithbulls
runningwithbulls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WiFi
Lightbulb List of free access sites over 3G?

Hi there,

While I understand that Amazon gives free access to *.amazon.com and *.wikipedia.org content, I have been able to also browse to other sites (my e-mail provider, my website etc), using the 3G connection on my Kindle 3.

I ASSUME I have not being paying - my credit card does not seem to have been charged, and my Kindle data charges, setup on Amazon.co.uk, is set to £0.02.

Can users browse *all* web content on the Kindle? (Ignoring if it can render the content or not)

If not, can anyone point to an "official" list of free (as in no data usage charges) sites we can browse?

I am still confused as to where the charges for data come on the Kindle 3G. This is the one thing Amazon have communicated badly - unless this is intentional.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks,
RWB
runningwithbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
andrew121
andrew121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G+WiFi
Charges only apply for sending personal documents to the Kindle using the xxxxx@kindle.com email address.

Also I believe there are additional charges for delivery of some books/magazines while traveling abroad. If the web-browser works, it is always free to use.
andrew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
runningwithbulls
runningwithbulls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew121 View Post
Charges only apply for sending personal documents to the Kindle using the xxxxx@kindle.com email address.

Also I believe there are additional charges for delivery of some books/magazines while traveling abroad. If the web-browser works, it is always free to use.
Hi Andrew,

Ok, thanks. That is the only thing that confused me with the Kindle.

Can you point to any official Amazon documentation about the additional charges for delivery when abroad? It'd be much appreciated.

thanks again,
RWB
runningwithbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Whether you get full web or just the Kindle store + Wikipedia depends on the country you're in. In either case, web browsing over 3G is free and doesn't incur any charges.

The only charges are for delivery of personal documents over 3G and actually purchasing ebooks. Delivery of personal documents over WiFi is free. Some countries don't have free 3G delivery of books and there will be a $2 fee included into every book purchase including "free" books which then come out to be $2.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
If you are concerned with incurring fees you can set your limit to $0.00 instead of what I believe is a $2.00 default for yur account. This can be done via Amazon.com of course you can change that amount whenever needed. Setting my amount to $0.00 was one of the first things that I did so now I don't have to worry about it a again. It's a nice fail safe.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3g data, charges?, content