Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
FLeCos
FLeCos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Editor not working

I have W10 and Calibre 5.6 The Calibre editor and viewer does not show me the content of the book. They will open but only a blank window is displayed.

Greetings and thanks in advance
FLeCos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLeCos View Post
I have W10 and Calibre 5.6 The Calibre editor and viewer does not show me the content of the book. They will open but only a blank window is displayed.

Have you selected a file from the File Browser pane?
(If that is not showing: on the View Menu, tick it.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
Please run the following command from the Windows Command line and post the output.

It should open the viewer and display a list of books to read. At least that is what happens here.

Code:
calibre-debug -w
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
FLeCos

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
Please run the following command from the Windows Command line and post the output.

It should open the viewer and display a list of books to read. At least that is what happens here.

Code:
calibre-debug -w

What "calibre-debug -w" shows me

https://i.imgur.com/KboXdnZ.png
Old 12-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
I think that one of the lines says "Using calibre QT style: true" - it is very hard to read a picture, it would have been better to copy the text into a reply.
Mine says false there.
From the little output given by calibre, you may wish to try changing the qt style back to system default. It's in the Preferences - Look and Feel section in the main Calibre program.
However it makes no difference here how that is set but that is the only difference to my debug output.
Perhaps some on else will have an idea of what is going wrong.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
FLeCos

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
I think that one of the lines says "Using calibre QT style: true" - it is very hard to read a picture, it would have been better to copy the text into a reply.
Mine says false there.
From the little output given by calibre, you may wish to try changing the qt style back to system default. It's in the Preferences - Look and Feel section in the main Calibre program.
However it makes no difference here how that is set but that is the only difference to my debug output.
Perhaps some on else will have an idea of what is going wrong.

Changed and no results
Old 12-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Changed and no results
Moderator Notice
Your problem appears to have nothing to do with saved searched - so I moved it into its own thread.

Did you read post #2 - when the editor opens a book the code window is empty until you select a file, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-07 105513.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	183826

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-06-2020 at 07:00 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm wondering if this is related to the various blank screen in viewer or editor which seems to be tied to the video driver reported a few months back.

@FLeCos, what video card and driver version are you using?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This will be a problem with your GPU drivers. Try updating them, if that doesnt fix it, turn of hardawre acceleration for Qt WebEngine (which isthe component the viewer and edito use) as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-debugging.html
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Are you running Calibre on a laptop with dual video cards? If so, switch Calibre to run with the other video card. I gave this same advice to someone else and it solved the same problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #11
FLeCos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm wondering if this is related to the various blank screen in viewer or editor which seems to be tied to the video driver reported a few months back.

@FLeCos, what video card and driver version are you using?

Graphic card information:
https://i.imgur.com/XP4WR3k.png
Old 12-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Graphic card information:
https://i.imgur.com/XP4WR3k.png
You don't have the latest graphics driver. Not even close given the version number and date. Here is the latest driver for your GeForce GTX 760. This drive was released February 27, 2020.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/drivers/results/157661
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote