Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
kayvon
kayvon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Google prohibits javascript in ebooks

Hello,
I have an ebook which I have posted successfully to Amazon and Apple Books. it contains many hyperlinks to navigate within the book itself. when I uploaded it to google books it disabled all the hyperlinks.
below is the response I got from google support. they want me to remove my JavaScript files. I used adobe InDesign to create the epub, again, it works fine on Amazon and apple books. i am not technical enough to know what they are talking about. surely there is a reasonable way to get around this. any thoughts would be much appreciated.

FEEDBACK from Google:
We don't support .js files in EPUB. We have spotted the presence of idGeneratedScript.js file in the EPUB file which you uploaded for this book (please see the attached screenshot for reference).
EPUB file guidelines - https://support.google.com/books/partner/answer/3316879
Please remove idGeneratedScript.js file from the EPUB and then upload the EPUB file again the 'Content' tab of this book listing. Once you do this, our system may take up to 24 hrs to process it and reflect appropriate changes on Google Play.

Last edited by kayvon; 02-12-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: more clear title
kayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I would not knowingly buy a book with javascript. I see no need for it in books I am interested in reading.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your thread title is misleading. Forbidding javascript is not the same thing as forbidding hyperlinks.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
kayvon

how can i change the title of my thread to be more clear? i am an occasional visitor here. also, i just created an epub using adobe, i frankly don't know what it does to generate it. can i generate an epub not using javascripts?
Old 02-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe try opening your epub in Sigil which is an editor specifically for epub. There's a forum here for where to get it, and it's free. But that will require you getting your hands dirty looking at the internals of an epub, which is nothing more than a bunch of HTML web pages in essence. If you've never worked with HTML it might be a bit daunting at first.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvon View Post
how can i change the title of my thread to be more clear? i am an occasional visitor here. also, i just created an epub using adobe, i frankly don't know what it does to generate it. can i generate an epub not using javascripts?
Click the "report post" button on your fist message and request that the thread title be changed to "Google prohibits javascript in ebooks" or something similar. That button is just to the right of the karma button at the bottom left of your post.

The user manual or adobe support or some indesign dedicated forum should have information making ebooks without javascript.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
kayvon

Thank you all for your help. (i also changed the title of the post to be more clear)
Old 02-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Use Word or LibreOffice Writer. Use Anchors and links. Either import into Calibre or Sigil.

Indesign is a terrible tool to produce ordinary ebooks.

You can do wonderful ebooks with ZERO javascript, with in book links and if you are foolhardy, brave or whatever, links to the internet. But Internet links die and anyway it interrupts the reading experience.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote