Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 04:17 AM   #61
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
For trash collection tomorrow, I estimate 200 pounds (4 large construction plastic bags) of paper books mostly school and work technical stuff with a few odds and ends tossed in.

More to go and really haven't come upstairs yet, though I got some Shaum's outline series books/manuals that were being used to support a deck on my main computer desk which had a giant Trinitron CRT monitor on it until this past year. Now it has a very light LCD monitor on it.
Some garbage collection companies have a weight limit on what they will pick up. I threw out my old computer books a while back and ended up having to spread it out over several weeks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #62
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Some garbage collection companies have a weight limit on what they will pick up. I threw out my old computer books a while back and ended up having to spread it out over several weeks.
After pickup today, I checked outside to see if the giant can was still intact because it has started splitting some near the bottom.

Yes thank goodness it was.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #63
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Yes, we need books in our home. My partner and I both very much prefer the real thing to the 'e' versions. We both admit to being not just collectors, but hoarders as well. We tend to justify it to ourselves because we have read or are in the process of reading all the books we have because we 'love' reading. E books for us, are for books that are not available to us either because of unavailability and or price, or for some reference materials we want handy. Plus, they do come in handy as some others here have mentioned. Long waiting times in various places, etc.

In our previous home, we had one room we made into our library as best as we could. It wasn't big, but it had space for a small sofa where we could each sit and read.

We are now in a new (to us anyway) home. We bought an old school house built in 1902. It had 3 classrooms, one being a new addition in the early 1950s, with the last class being held in 1960. This is the main living area. The other 2 rooms are the original classrooms. Both of them are 30 feet square with 12 foot high ceilings. One is used as a combination workshop/storage area. The other is a studio/ living area. It was bare studs when we moved in. It's now insulated and heated and we are getting ready to put the drywall up.

The wall that separates the 2 big classrooms is solid with only one door, no windows. Once we figure out just how much space will be needed, that wall is going to have shelving to house our entire collection with extra room for future book additions. Since we have the space, we're gonna take full advantage of it.

As for when our time comes and we're no longer around, my oldest daughter knows our wishes as to how/where we would like the books to go. She also has been given the option that, if it becomes more of a hassle to follow our wishes once she attempts it, she may dispose of them whichever way she wants. In the meantime, we will both be enjoying our library of the real things.
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #64
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Have you thought about buying one of those little external phone batteries for you mom? That sounds like an easier solution...
She won't keep it in her purse. Someone here privately commented to me, so now my 'ER kit' contains an extra long cord with wall plug that charges ereaders, Itouches and Fires using a single cord. That was neat - didn't know about that. Note: ER kit is a small zippered tote bag and now contains the cord and wall plug, but also ereader, Fire 7, lightweight headphones, snacks and cash. Just have to add wallet and current drug list and good to go. EVERYTHING is labeled with name and phone number. When it's bro, I do try to remember to grab his two external batteries in case he stays.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #65
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yes, our garbage company has a 90 lb limit because the can will slide off the can grabber. My city recycles hard cover separately because the covers have to be torn off before entering the paper recycling ramps. Got rid of 90% of the computer books this past summer - my brother wanted to keep books for computers/programs he doesn't even have any longer!

Last edited by Tarana; 10-12-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Advert
Old 10-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #66
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Yes, our garbage company has a 90 lb limit because the can will slide off the can grabber. My city recycles hard cover separately because the covers have to be torn off before entering the paper recycling ramps. Got rid of 90% of the computer books this past summer -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- my brother wanted to keep books for computers/programs he doesn't even have any longer!
Yes, yes of course!

I haven't yet gone through all the old external hard drives. Firewire, USB, USB2 and I am definitely going to keep my newer USB3 drives.

Then there are the R/W CDs, R/W DVDs with programs, and the 3 1/2 inch Floppys and even the 5 1/4 inch floppys and the old paper tapes. I only have a few decks of punch cards from school left, but hey one day when the Aliens come, that might save us all.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #67
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Yes, yes of course!

I haven't yet gone through all the old external hard drives. Firewire, USB, USB2 and I am definitely going to keep my newer USB3 drives.

Then there are the R/W CDs, R/W DVDs with programs, and the 3 1/2 inch Floppys and even the 5 1/4 inch floppys and the old paper tapes. I only have a few decks of punch cards from school left, but hey one day when the Aliens come, that might save us all.
We still have punch cards. Unless Mom finds more in the attic, we are down to the last box. Used them for quick notes. I still come across a floppy now and then. These are all my Dad's and brother's.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #68
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Of course. Only some are available as ebooks, and given the limited storage, small screen, and slowness of my Kindle Dx, it's helpful to have hard copies of important ones even if they are available as ebooks.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #69
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I would miss not having books around me. More than anything, it's that I enjoy having books recalled to me by seeing their spines (this doesn't justify the doubleshelving I've done), which is an emotion entirely lost to me with ebooks. Calibre doesn't provide the same hit in the feels.
I totally agree and relate to that.

However, I still have such a huge backlog of physical books, that even though I prefer reading ebook versions, I am stuck at reading what I have already paid for. Most of the time, it is not a real issue ... only when the print is bad (faint or too small or both) or the book is not in a great condition, usually due to age and sunlight, does it irk me. And it's not just backlog either, as sometimes I like to reread books.

If I was fabulously wealthy, I guess I could donate many of my books and buy ebook versions. But like both you and Sydney's Mum (the thread starter) say, books look great in bookcases. Being a collector, I am doubly hooked, and so a place doesn't feel lived in to me, unless books are around.

For me, there has always been some kind of magic in a book ... a whole new world in many cases or the life of another, often mysterious and intriguing.

They could seem such small innocuous things, but to me they aren't.

I guess so long as they are visually there, I don't necessarily have to read them, especially if a better digital more practical way is available. Still, to pick one up now and then and feel/smell them or just look at the cover or spines, that is a special pleasure.

In a way, a bookcase can be like a piece of art ... you look at it visually and it gives various things back.

So yes, well worth decorating a place with books, even if you don't read them ... at least in my view.

Last edited by Timboli; 10-25-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #70
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero.

Lots of books I want/need to read don't exist in digital versions, and even if they did, simply aren't as easily flipped through or read as on paper --- as nice as ebook readers are, they still don't have the bandwidth of a commercially printed book opened to a page spread with illustrations (esp. if in colour).

That said, yeah, mostly I read on my Kindle these days.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #71
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero.

This quote was discussed earlier here too
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=42
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #72
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I have a lot of sewing/crafting books. Other than that, I collect Doctor Who books, and have for over twenty years. My husband collects Star Trek books. Even if we never bought another non-ST/DW pbook again, our house would still be full of them.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:25 PM   #73
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Don't get me started on all the reading material I have, from books to comics to magazines. Surely a treasure trove for someone one day ... maybe one of my kids at least or one of theirs ... if they haven't been squandered for minimal cash meanwhile.

Personally, while some look at clutter and think that is the state of your mind, I look at how the supposed clutter is organized, and I say those who live a very bare bones life, also show something about the state (depth) of their personality. Just saying.

My belief, is we only live once, according to the evidence we have, so make it colorful.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:35 PM   #74
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
If you read ebooks then look for sales at librarys and thrift stoors, find some hard back classics
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:12 PM   #75
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
If you read ebooks then look for sales at librarys and thrift stores, find some hard back classics
If I read ebooks, why should I look for hard back classics?
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote