Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #16
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by richough3 View Post
Does it come from reading off the SD memory card or the internal memory?
It makes no difference.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #17
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
not sure if you saw it, but there was someone else commenting on the speed of page-changing, it was also in the astak subforum. One person's PP was able to change pages in less than a second while the other persons's took about 2 seconds. Not sure why these differences, but it may be seen with only some devices.... I hope I get a speedy one :P (tomorrow )
That person was me. The person whose Pocket Pro was able to change in <1s was slm (the other person who got it yesterday). I honestly hope it is just a problem with my device (though evidence from the Hanlin V5 users say otherwise). That way, I could just exchange my unit for another.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #18
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
griffonwing, you are hilarious! I never thought of it that way. PP as pee pee..lol
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #19
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Apologies. In America, and possibly other English countries, little boys were commonly taught to call their penis a 'pee pee', or 'wee-wee'. That's one reason why the Nintendo Wii was commonly ridiculed when it was first released here in the US.

So, now here you tell us that someone's PP can change pages in a book in under a second. That, mi amigo, is what I call talent
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #20
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
That person was me. The person whose Pocket Pro was able to change in <1s was slm (the other person who got it yesterday). I honestly hope it is just a problem with my device (though evidence from the Hanlin V5 users say otherwise). That way, I could just exchange my unit for another.
oh ok, i wasn't sure and was too lazy to check
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
The natural of the eink is that the only power that is needed to to open the books and turn pages. There is no refresh of the display and yes the reader will go to sleep to save the battery that is how you get the 7 or 8 thousand page turns out of the battery. The slowness is not noticed for normal reading and normally you would not even be able to turn a page of a paper book as fast as the ereader can. I have the Ezreader and it I believe has a slower controller than the pro.

Chuck
I notice the delay on my Sony 505 (and I assume I read fairly normally). The original poster seems to noticed the delay also (and he seemed to be describing normal reading usage).

I recently saw a video of the SONY 600 scrolling/zooming a PDF, and I was very impressed with the speed (considering all the comments I've read about how slow eink is).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #22
SDRebel
Addict

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!v
I just received mine and it also takes about 2 seconds (it's a black one, by the way)

I timed how long it took to change pages for the manual and it consistently timed between 1.75 and 1.85 seconds using my chronometer
Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #23
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Could the slow response be related to the people who have not had a chance to charge, and cycle, the battery several times. Remember, as all of you have been stating, you need to charge it for 12 hours, then cycle the charging several times before the batter monitor catches up. Could this be related to the sluggish response?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very unlikely. It's almost without doubt due to the device entering a low-power sleep mode after a few seconds of inactivity, and then taking a second or two to "wake up" from that when a button is pressed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #25
DrBen
Landed Gentry
DrBen began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro - Maroon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very unlikely. It's almost without doubt due to the device entering a low-power sleep mode after a few seconds of inactivity, and then taking a second or two to "wake up" from that when a button is pressed.
That makes sense. Which makes me wonder if a power-wasting workaround would be to have the unit playing MP3 files in the backround, even if at zero volume, such that the unit is active. Would page turns be faster that way?
DrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #26
Moo Strength
Moo Strength began at the beginning.

Device: Astek EZ Reader
The first thing I did was put six copies of the same book, Clive Barker's Books of Blood Volume 1 on my eReader and test the speed change between DOC, HTM, PDF, RGO, RTF, TXT, and a LIT copy of BoB2. I also tested some Brad Thor books that were of different sizes, 200K, 550K, 780K, and 1.1MB, all in LIT format. It seems that size has little impact. A book by Clive Barker in 700K took significantly shorter time than a book within 40K by Thor.

The format issues do seem to make a difference. I'm ordering a class 6 16GB to use for this and my digital camera, I want to see if having a faster Class card makes a difference.

Class 2, Class 4 and Class 6 - transfer data at least 2, 4 and 6MB per second. There are class 10 cards out there but it would be a a bit of overkill for an eReader. You would use Class 10 for a camcorder. Class 10 runs at a max of 22MB/sec, and a minimum of roughly 12MB.
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
The first thing I did was put six copies of the same book, Clive Barker's Books of Blood Volume 1 on my eReader and test the speed change between DOC, HTM, PDF, RGO, RTF, TXT, and a LIT copy of BoB2. I also tested some Brad Thor books that were of different sizes, 200K, 550K, 780K, and 1.1MB, all in LIT format. It seems that size has little impact. A book by Clive Barker in 700K took significantly shorter time than a book within 40K by Thor.

The format issues do seem to make a difference. I'm ordering a class 6 16GB to use for this and my digital camera, I want to see if having a faster Class card makes a difference.

Class 2, Class 4 and Class 6 - transfer data at least 2, 4 and 6MB per second. There are class 10 cards out there but it would be a a bit of overkill for an eReader. You would use Class 10 for a camcorder. Class 10 runs at a max of 22MB/sec, and a minimum of roughly 12MB.
These specifications are for write speed which is for a camera taking pictures, not for read speed so I would be surprised if you see much difference.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:29 AM   #28
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
FYI..I copied this from the Aztak website. Seems like it only works with class 4 or below SD cards.

Q.Which SD cards can I use?

The 6” EZ Reader is compatible with SD cards up to 4GB in size. The 5” EZ Reader Pocket PRO is compatible with SD cards up to 16GB. The SD cards must be class 4 or below in order to be compatible.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #29
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have been able to read a 8 gig card with my EZreader.

chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #30
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
FYI..I copied this from the Aztak website. Seems like it only works with class 4 or below SD cards.

Q.Which SD cards can I use?

The 6” EZ Reader is compatible with SD cards up to 4GB in size. The 5” EZ Reader Pocket PRO is compatible with SD cards up to 16GB. The SD cards must be class 4 or below in order to be compatible.
I have been able to also read an 8gig card (SDHC Class 6).
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote