Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-08-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wexler Flex One - any owners out there?

Hi Everyone,

I now have a Wexler Flex One in my possession. But it doesn't boot.

When connected to a computer, it shows up as a USB mass storage device, and will store files, but there were absolutely no files on it when I received it (I suspect that this may be part of the problem!)

I can also apparently put it into firmware update mode, when it connects as a 'composite device', apparently a RockUSB RK28.

But the firmware update software I found (1.0.5) doesn't recognise the device.

Any ideas?

If anyone owns a working one, what files are on your device, apart from ebook files?

Thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Hi pdurrant,
I have a couple of FlexOne's, I will check this for you when I get back home in a couple of days.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks. It's frustrating - the screen is fine, and will flash black/white/black, and I can see it as a USB device, but it seems to have been wiped.

Of course, I bought it as non-working, so if I do manage to get it going that will be a bonus. It was interesting just seeing the hardware. I'd never realised that the solid bit of it actually had a gentle curve.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi, I just got back from holiday and plugged my FlexOne into a computer to check for system files. I enabled "view hidden items" to make sure I can see everything.
Unfortunately, the news is not good. Aside from the books themselves, I only found:
2 folders:
- ".Spotlight-V100" with "Store-V1" and "Store-V2" subfolders in them. Most of the file names and file types have "index" in them, so I assume this was created by my Mac (the Mac search is called Spotlight) when I used it to browse the Wexler.
- ".Trashes"
...and a couple of Calibre files that were clearly left behind by the Calibre app.
So, unfortunately nothing that could be helpful in bringing your FlexOne back to life :-(
I am sorry I could not be more helpful - if you find anything online about how to access the system files, write me a pm, I will be happy to help if I can!

I am a big fan of the FlexOne, and always recommend it whenever someone on MR asks about a tough e-reader. I think the hardware is pure genius, except for not being waterproof - that would have made it the ultimate outdoor/beach reader. It's a pity that it didn't get more marketing, and that there aren't other glassless readers in this size. The software is simple, but perfectly usable in my experience.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Jmirko
Recovered collector

I just found Wexler online - their support email is support@wexler-global.com - it may be worth a try!
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 03:05 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
So, unfortunately nothing that could be helpful in bringing your FlexOne back to life :-(

[...]

It's a pity that it didn't get more marketing, and that there aren't other glassless readers in this size. The software is simple, but perfectly usable in my experience.
Many thanks for taking a look. Even knowing that the blank storage isn't the problem is a help.

I'll have another go with the firmware updater.

And I agree completely about the glassless screen. I'd really like to see a new glassless ereader in this kind of size.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:25 AM   #7
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
For what it is worth, there is a Youtube video (in Russian) about updating firmware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLSmJku3oc

Firmware seems to be downloaded from:

(http://wexler.ru/support/download-center/

Hopefully not in Russian only, but even that would probably be an improvement on your current position.

It looks like an interesting reader. Good luck.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:34 AM   #8
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I am a big fan of the FlexOne, and always recommend it whenever someone on MR asks about a tough e-reader. I think the hardware is pure genius, except for not being waterproof - that would have made it the ultimate outdoor/beach reader. It's a pity that it didn't get more marketing, and that there aren't other glassless readers in this size. The software is simple, but perfectly usable in my experience.
I broke one of mine by flexing it, just a word of warning. It’s not that tough. I like it for the weight, though oasis1 and inkbook classic have almost matched this now, and you can disable touchscreen on the latter. You can also disable touchscreen on the oasis2, though it’s 2x the weight of Wexler (still light).

The software is usable except the pdf reader, I tend to reformat my PDFs for it with k2pdfopt, which seems to work mostly.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #9
giotti
Connoisseur
giotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it isgiotti knows what time it is

Device: Wexler flex.one, Boyue T65s, Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hi Everyone,

I now have a Wexler Flex One in my possession. But it doesn't boot.

When connected to a computer, it shows up as a USB mass storage device, and will store files, but there were absolutely no files on it when I received it (I suspect that this may be part of the problem!)

I can also apparently put it into firmware update mode, when it connects as a 'composite device', apparently a RockUSB RK28.

But the firmware update software I found (1.0.5) doesn't recognise the device.

Any ideas?

If anyone owns a working one, what files are on your device, apart from ebook files?

Thanks.
Hi, sorry for resuming such an old thread... But I've the same problem and I wonder if you ever find out a solution.

Cheers
giotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

No, unfortunately I didn't.