Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
MsBarrows
MsBarrows began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Soooo.... just how the heck am I supposed to get my library onto this Kobo ARC??

My new Kobo Arc 16gb arrived today, my first eReader (yay!). Already running into some problems that have me scratching my head and WTFing (boooo!). First, the complete and utter lack of a micro USB cable for connecting it to my desktop or laptop. And naturally none of the micro USB cables I already own have the same shape head as the micro USB port on the eReader, so I'm going to have to make a special trip some time this week to the nearest store that carries such things and probably pay through the nose for something that should have been an included standard component. Kobo score -1000

Instruction sheet on starting to use Kobo is about as helpful (actually, less helpful) than an Ikea assembly instructions guide. Much googling required to find out that the reason the tablet isn't turning on despite following the instructions is that the battery has zero charge and needs to charge up before I can use it. Nothing at all supplied with the tablet gives any explanation at all for various colours of flashing/steady lights beside power button. Kobo score -5000

Finally have tablet charged, turned on, and working way through setup wizard. Every couple of steps the wizard spontaneously stops and gives me some sort of "Oops the wizard stopped working!" message. Experimentation shows that pressing the back button gets it to resume. Eventually manage to work my way all the way through it. Kobo score -10000

Tablet set up! Ready to try and put books on the fricking thing! Wooo!

...or not wooo, actually, since without the cable there is apparently NO WAY to put any books on it that aren't purchases from the Kobo store. *Looks at 1,251 books in Calibre Library on her desktop... side-eyes her tablet heavily*

Okay, I say to myself, maybe I can install the Kobo desktop app, import my various epubs into it, then sync the eReader and have them transfer wirelessly? Maybe? Hopefully??

...except the Kobo site only carries the Win8 desktop app now. Zero usability on my WinXP desktop or Win7 laptop.

*Headdesks repeatedly*

Kobo score rapidly approaching -∞

At this point, would I recommend Kobo products to friends? Ha. Ahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

That would be a no.
MsBarrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
For now, until you get your USB cable, you could turn on your Calibre Content Server, then connect to it through wi-fi and download books to the Arc. I don't own an Arc, but I'm assuming it should be able to download like usual then.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I thought Amazon was actually pretty unique in offering a Send-to-Kindle functionality. Kobo, B&N, Sony, are all in the same boat, as are, I'd assume, all the small ereader makers that I know dimly about if at all. Kindle FTW!!!
Actually, it should be possible with any Android-based ereader to use the Dropbox app, say, to do the same thing.

As far as charging the first time you buy it, that is standard operating procedure for new devices -- but there should usually be a little charge, at least.

Very confused about this microUSB not compatible thing. By definition, microUSB is one shape, compatible everywhere microUSB is used. How could your pre-existing standards-compliant microUSB cables not work?

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2014 at 07:00 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I currently have 4 "micro USB" cables connected to my PC that each has a different end to them, for my ereaders, Garmin, camera, and my phone/remote control. Actually the phone/remote cable is the same shape as the ereader cable, they will fit, but the cables aren't interchangeable between those devices and won't function on all the devices.

Nothing seems standard.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I currently have 4 "micro USB" cables connected to my PC that each has a different end to them, for my ereaders, Garmin, camera, and my phone/remote control. Actually the phone/remote cable is the same shape as the ereader cable, they will fit, but the cables aren't interchangeable between those devices and won't function on all the devices.

Nothing seems standard.
Most cameras/GPSes IME, and most older devices do not use microUSB. They use the now-deprecated miniUSB: Wikipedia USB subsection: Mini and Micro USB

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Advert
Old 08-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
MsBarrows

Seeing if I can use Google Drive to transfer my epubs to the Kobo. I have a handful of epub files exported from Calibre to a subdirectory of Google Drive on my desktop. I can see them in that same subdirectory in google drive on the tablet. Go into Kobo on it, click "Import Items", it tells me it'll search the memory card for anything I can import... turns up nothing. I can't see any way to move the files from the google drive to elsewhere on the device, or any way to drag and drop them into Kobo. Double-clicking on them brings up a dialogue saying there's no compatible software found for reading them. This day is reaching epic levels of WTFery now.

*Headdesks some more*

Haven't a clue about how to try and connect the Arc via WiFi to a Calibre content server (googling now).

As far as the mirco USB cables go, the ones I have for my external USB drive and my digital camera both have the same end shape. It is not the shape of the USB port on the Kobo, with is slightly wider and slimmer.

Edited to add: Looks like the two cables I have are "Mini-B" ends, not micros. Still, it's ridiculous that the device doesn't come with the required cable as a standard component.

Last edited by MsBarrows; 08-07-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

They are probably miniUSB cables, the ones that have been deprecated for a few years now but camera companies seem to prefer.

You should have a microUSB cable for your smartphone unless it is an iDevice
Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You can launch the calibre Content Server from the Connect/Share button on the main calibre toolbar.

Then just make sure your Kobo is connected to the same wireless network, and go to the IP address specified in the Connect/Share dropdown.

Example:

Stop Content Server [192.168.1.70, port 8080]

The address on my computer is therefore

192.168.1.70:8080
Old 08-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
MsBarrows

AHA! Okay, figured out the google drive workaround. Have to click and hold on epub file in google drive. Select "Download a copy". Go into Kobo app, and "Import Items". The epub will now show up correctly on the list and can be imported to Kobo.

Laborious, so only good for transferring currently-being-read ebooks, getting the entire library transferred over will still have to wait on acquiring the current USB cable. But at least I can read something on it now
Old 08-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
MsBarrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can launch the calibre Content Server from the Connect/Share button on the main calibre toolbar.

Then just make sure your Kobo is connected to the same wireless network, and go to the IP address specified in the Connect/Share dropdown.

Example:

Stop Content Server [192.168.1.70, port 8080]

The address on my computer is therefore

192.168.1.70:8080
The setting up the content server I can do no problem, it's the "go to the IP address specified" part that I haven't any idea how to accomplish. First Android device I've ever possessed, so it's still at the "How does it work? BLOOD MAGIC!!!" stage of being a mysterious black box that sometimes does things when I poke it just right.

But the google drive workaround should give me at least minimal functionality for now in terms of being able to read books off of it.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

One really cool thing about Android tablets is the ability to use Calibre Companion. Available on the Google Play store for $2.99, it is made by a long-time calibre friend and code contributor (and his son's company), and can connect to calibre as a device over wireless connections, among numerous other helpful things. A must-have for the Android reader.

chaley is a regular here on MobileRead, especially in the Calibre Companion subforum where he cheerfully listens to user input and experiments with new features, but also in other areas of the forums, like the calibre subforum. Great guy, and his contributions enrich calibre greatly.

There is also now a free demo version limited to ten books, which is useful for seeing if you like it enough to pay money.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBarrows View Post
The setting up the content server I can do no problem, it's the "go to the IP address specified" part that I haven't any idea how to accomplish. First Android device I've ever possessed, so it's still at the "How does it work? BLOOD MAGIC!!!" stage of being a mysterious black box that sometimes does things when I poke it just right.

But the google drive workaround should give me at least minimal functionality for now in terms of being able to read books off of it.
IP addresses are like website names, but with numbers. For websites, there are special servers which tell the world what names go to which numbers, but for stuff you run on your own computer, setting a name requires manual work, which goes directly into the dangerously technical.

Just input the first number (four numbers separated by dots, that is the IP address), followed by a ":", followed by the "port number", which is the 4-digit number afterward.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is also a trial version of calibre companion available now. Its limited to 10 books. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ultipie.ccdemo
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
There is also a trial version of calibre companion available now. Its limited to 10 books. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ultipie.ccdemo
I did say so.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I did say so.
Oops... Missed that.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop app, file transfers, kobo, kobo arc, micro usb cable