Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
marketgarden
marketgarden began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-Reader not reading PDF's correctly

Good afternoon folks.

I have a few PDF's here I want to be able to read on my ereader but for some reason it isnt picking them up right.

The device is a cheap Chinese thing, so I expected issues when I tried out PDF's but I'm honestly pretty stumped by this problem.

I have split a couple of my technical pdf's in half using 'a-PDF page cut', producing PDF's with double the number of pages but all of them smaller.

When viewed on my computer, both in a-pdf and an independent viewer, they appear in this order

TOP OF PAGE 1
BOTTOM OF PAGE 1
TOP OF PAGE 2
BOTTOM OF PAGE 2
TOP OF PAGE 3
etc.... exactly how i want it

on the reader they appear

TOP OF PAGE 1
TOP OF PAGE 1
TOP OF PAGE 2
TOP OF PAGE 2
TOP OF PAGE 3
TOP OF PAGE 3
and so on...

any ideas?
marketgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
ExpertCoder
ExpertCoder began at the beginning.

Device: Netronix EB600
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketgarden View Post
Good afternoon folks.

I have a few PDF's here I want to be able to read on my ereader but for some reason it isnt picking them up right.

The device is a cheap Chinese thing, so I expected issues when I tried out PDF's but I'm honestly pretty stumped by this problem.

I have split a couple of my technical pdf's in half using 'a-PDF page cut', producing PDF's with double the number of pages but all of them smaller.

When viewed on my computer, both in a-pdf and an independent viewer, they appear in this order

TOP OF PAGE 1
BOTTOM OF PAGE 1
TOP OF PAGE 2
BOTTOM OF PAGE 2
TOP OF PAGE 3
etc.... exactly how i want it

on the reader they appear

TOP OF PAGE 1
TOP OF PAGE 1
TOP OF PAGE 2
TOP OF PAGE 2
TOP OF PAGE 3
TOP OF PAGE 3
and so on...

any ideas?

We are converting PDF to XHTML or XML file formate that supported by all mobile application or ebook readers. Let me know your interest for more information.thanks.?
ExpertCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Was it saved with a newer profile (Adobe Acrobat 9 or 10)? Try saving it as PDF/A... but do keep in mind that editing a PDF is generally considered bad practice - even more so if you plan to read it on a "cheap Chinese thing".

It could also be a page numbering issue. If page 1 was split into two halves (top and bottom), both of them are probably marked as "Page 1" and the reader somehow gets confused. If it were me, I would probably extract the PDF as a bunch of images, batch process them with Irfanview or something and let the reader display them as-is. Worked with my PSP when I was in collage. There weren't any dedicated PDF readers for it back then.

PS: Welcome to the forums. Both of you...

Last edited by DSpider; 04-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
marketgarden

Thanks,

I've never heard of Infraview before, I'll give it a shot.

I've had a look at the new 'cut' PDF file, it says its been created with Acorbat 7, so I dont think its a newer version issue.

Your page number theory looks spot on to me. Let me try Infraview just now then..
Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
marketgarden

well it appears a-pdf also have a pdf merging tool.

So.. to get the PDf how I want it, I've had to use the splitter program, then convert the split pdf into jpeg's, then use the other program to merge them back together... ! Seems long winded but it actually isnt so bad.
Advert