Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Ivor3648
Ivor3648 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Old boy on the block

Hi,

As a silver surfer I thought I would follow my son into the world of digital books. I have Sony PRS-505 picked up on ebay and am rapidly filling it with books that I am sure I will read ONE DAY.

My main interest is in non fiction historical biography in science and exploration so there seems to be plenty out there to keep my reading digiatlly with out having to spend a fortune since most is out of copyright.

I use Calibre on my PC although I also have a Kindle account so download some of the Amazon content and then convert to ePub,

Cheers for now

Ivor3648
Ivor3648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ivor and welcome to MobileRead. If you're interested in science, I'm about halfway through Brian Greene's latest book, Hidden Realities and am finding very interesting
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Ivor. In my humble opinion, I reckon you're lucky enough to have maybe the best device around (why it ever went out of production mystifies me when the demand is still so obviously there). I love my trusty old 505 workhorse, too. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I can certainly simpathize with your words that you are rapidly filling it with books, I'm sort of doing that as well. Although my device of choice, a blackberry doesn't actually download the book rather it retrieves it from the servers when I go to read, but I can understand what you are saying.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Welcome from another oldie.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Ivor3648
Ivor3648 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks for all the welcomes. I am just getting started and have now come across the fact that there are alternative firmwares available for the PRS 505 such as PRS+ and eBookApps. I know that there is a long thread on the Sony Developers page but I was wondering whether anyone can let me know of real experiences of using either or both of these for any lenght of time - can you run them both together?

Cheers

Ivor
Ivor3648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands. You'd better ask your question at the Sony-forum.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….

Have a look in here for some ideas on Science books recommended
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote