Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Nakaleen
Enthusiast
Nakaleen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch / Kindle DX (damaged screen)
Has the Nook Classic been abandoned

I currently have a Nook Classic being shipped to me now (taking a while since I am in Australia).

While I have my fingers crossed that I can root this, eg. firmware 1.4.1 etc... I've got a feeling it will be FW 1.5

Anyway why I am posting.... Has development for the Nook Classic stopped? Looking on this forum almost all the questions/answers are for the Nook Colour. On NookDev all the new and upto date pages are for the Nook Colour.

I love eInk screens, the reason why I didn't get a Nook Colour. Plus since 99.99999% of my books will be sideloaded, I can't use cover flow (a selling feature that got me away from getting a Kindle).

Anyway just hoping that the quiet/stillness of Nook Classic is be because they are hard at work working out 1.5 hehehehe.
Nakaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
you can root firmware 1.5, the information is there on the nookdev website. But the reason it has slowed down is (well I think) they have pretty much done what needs to be done and no need for many more rooting updates
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I am continually looking at Nook "Classic" posts that turn out to be for Nook Color. A lot of the nookDev apps still have problems with 2.5.1 with no fix in site.

I have just assumed that this will be the last update for anything I will ever get for my Nook, either rooted or B&N, and when it dies I will be converting to my Jetbooks. It was a good run, but from everything I see, support and interest in the original Nook is over. I don't want fancy and flash, I just want to read so the NC is useless for me.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Ummmm... are you implying you can't "just read" on a Nook Color? Odd... I do that all the time...
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Craysh
Craysh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Android, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Ummmm... are you implying you can't "just read" on a Nook Color? Odd... I do that all the time...
Sure you can, only the Nook Color has 8 hours of battery where the Nook Classic has 10 days or so...
Craysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Yes, because I often read for 10 days straight.....
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
jhitesma
jhitesma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic & Nook Color
Well, my problem with the color isn't battery life. It's eyestrain from a back lit LCD. I have to stare at them all day at work and can barely handle it. When I'm relaxing in the evening and reading I don't want a light shining in my eyes and I don't want a glossy LCD. I want a nice matte surface as close to paper as possible and that's what eInk gives me.

The backlight really is a big issue for me. The bulk of my reading happens in the hours between when my daughter goes to sleep and I go to sleep. It helps me relax and get ready for sleep. Anything that includes lights shining in my eyes (LCD's, TV's) keeps me from relaxing and makes it harder for me to fall asleep. I can read a book or eInk display in bed and fall immediately to sleep when I'm ready. If I try reading a notebook or watching TV then I end up tossing and turning for quite some time before my body accepts it's time for sleep.

That being said the color is a great bit of hardware for it's price and if I had the spare cash I'd pick one up immediately. But it would not be a replacement for my "classic" since for me it's not as pleasant of a reading experience. I've tried reading on iPad's and colors and honestly don't find it any more pleasurable than reading on my notebook - ok, the form factor is a little more enjoyable to hold but that's not enough to compensate for a screen that just isn't enjoyable for me to read on.

Tablets and ereaders are two totally different devices that fit totally different needs for me and the things that make each nice are mutually exclusive. Which isn't a bad thing, sometimes it's good to specialize. The classic is a great ereader while the color is a pretty amazing tablet for it's price (that's limited by it's stock firmware).

However - as a hacker the color is far more interesting since it's more powerful and there's a lot more you can make it do. With the classic there's only so much you can do because it is a limited device that does one thing and does it well. The eInk is a good thing and bad thing in this regard.

Since hackers tend to do what they want because it interests them that does tend to mean there would be more interest in the color since it's a more flexible platform. I mean really how much more do you want to do with the classic.

I don't think it's that the classic as been abandoned so much as it's matured to a point where there are fewer itches to be scratched. The big problem is the nookdevs site is such a mess when it comes to 1.5 rooting info that it can give the impression that there is no way to currently root a 1.5 and no work being done on it. When in fact there is a root that works (and is very simple to use other than setting up the DNS redirection, which varies depending on each users local network setup and doesn't have a one size fits all solution.)
jhitesma is offline   Reply With Quote