Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Snooty Baronet
Snooty Baronet began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 4
Laura Miller on Google Ebook Store

Excellent article in Salon about Google Ebooks. Ironically, its greatest weakness, Laura Miller points out, is its search function: "you can tell it was devised by people who know next to nothing about the book trade."

http://www.salon.com/books/laura_mil...gle_ebookstore
Snooty Baronet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
deleted

Last edited by khalleron; 12-08-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: sometimes i get snarky but i don't like myself that way. sorry.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
To much "theory". In "theory" google's book store is great. In practice, it stinks. The iPad app is terrible. It downloads each new page instead of the whole book. No landscape mode.

Millions of crappily scanned books are not a "great feature".

I rate Google Bookstore a failure. Have no intention of using it in it's present form.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
The iPad app downloaded the full books for me, both free books and books I had paid for (including one I paid for that "has no download files available"--which was the reason I installed the app in the first place). Once the books downloaded, I was able to turn the iPad's wifi off (it's a wifi only model) and still read them.

All of the books I've paid for look good, both on my iPad and, in the case of those that have epub downloads available, on my Sony.

And I like that I have the option of looking at the scan or the flowed text when I'm on the iPad.

I rate Google's Bookstore as on par with any other ebook retailer, and I'll buy from them whenever:

1. The book I want is not available elsewhere, whether Google offers an epub download with it or not, or

2. The book I want is only otherwise available in Kindle Topaz format and it's the same price as or cheaper than Amazon and download files are available, or

3. Google has the lowest price and download files are available
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Stopped reading after "Salon" but thanks anyway.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Stopped reading after "Salon" but thanks anyway.
Harsh!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Harsh!
So is the bias on Salon.com
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #8
traponk
traponk began at the beginning.

Device: rooted e-ink Nook
I like that the search in the Google Ebook Store searches the text in ebooks, so I can find ebooks that talk about what I'm looking for, even if it's not in the title.

The web-reader has good quality as far as I've seen, and it's a nice feature. If I wanted to, I could go online on any computer (like at the library, or a friend's pc) and pull up my ebooks without having to have an app downloaded.

The scanned Google Books I've checked out have the option of flowing the text or showing the scanned image. If you flow the text, it looks as good as any other ebook (as long as it's been scanned correctly, which a small minority of them have not). If I download a free Google Book onto my Nook it looks awful, but it looks a lot better from the Google Ebook Store.

I haven't tested any apps, but it would be nice if they had pc apps for linux/windows/apple!
traponk is offline   Reply With Quote