Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #17821
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Now reading The Tar Aiym Krang by Alan Dean Foster, in paperback. Its his first published novel from 1973 and chronologically his second book featuring Pip and Flinx.
Ah, I haven't read a Pip and Flinx book in years. And that was as an audio book. (They do very well as audio books - perfect for a long run.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #17822
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Finished Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis the other day - okay but not particularly amazing or memorable - and started The Last Policeman by Ben Winters last night. It's one of those books I've had in my already-bought TBR list for a while but forgot about until seeing people mention it here.

So far (roughly 25% in), I like the premise and the concept is intriguing, but I'm not really finding it gripping yet. Might have more to do with me being exceedingly tired yesterday when I tried to read it, starting to nod off around 8 in the evening already, but I had to put it down and go do other stuff instead of spending another hour reading as I'd planned.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #17823
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, I haven't read a Pip and Flinx book in years. And that was as an audio book. (They do very well as audio books - perfect for a long run.)
Unfortunately there were several "fillers" later on in the series. The early ones are great.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #17824
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Finished Something Wicked this Way Comes. Very entertaining. I love Bradbury's writing. It just has a rhythm like poetry in places.

Now it's off to George Mills by Stanley Elkin. A book I've been meaning to read for a couple of years now and actually bought at one of the monthly deal sales at Amazon. I suppose length has been making me shy away, but now that my reading lists for this year are complete I can clear out a few titles from the TBR and purchased list which has risen to a staggering 19 titles on the Kindle.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #17825
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I dont get on well wiith audio books
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #17826
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Finished Something Wicked this Way Comes. Very entertaining. I love Bradbury's writing. It just has a rhythm like poetry in places.
Must be just me but I didnt enjoy that book at all! Its an oft quoted and highly praised book but I found it annoying!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #17827
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I dont get on well wiith audio books
Too bad. I find them a useful alternative to music or other distractions when I'm exercising or doing mindless tasks in the garden or around the house. And perfect for a long drive when I'm alone in the car. It's certainly true that they're not a substitute for reading -- they seem to trigger different parts of the brain, and I find I can read a book after I've listened to it and still very much enjoy it.

Meanwhile, still reading #19 in Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks series: Bad Boy. The beginning of this is slow going, in large part because Alan Banks isn't part of it. Most of it centers around his daughter, and I find her a very annoying, whinging, self-indulgent and generally unpleasant character. Hopefully things will improve when the focus moves to Inspector Banks.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #17828
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next Up: FlashForward by Robert J. Sawyer. I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles this.
I really liked the idea. And the first half of the book worked OK. But the second half was a disappointment. I just couldn't beleive the stuff at the end (that is, the human reactions to it), and I thought that the implications of the first half were just ignored.

Of course, when you set up a story requiring an explanation of conciousness, that's likely to happen.

Next up: 1635: Music and Murder by David Carrico. I have read most of this before, in various short stories that have appeared in the Grantville Gazette series over the years. I hope I'll enjoy seeing them all tidied up and put together in one long narrative.
I actually started Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch instead. Looking like a good sequel so far. (Although I'd have preferred a more linear narrative at the start, I can understand why it was done as it was.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-04-2013 at 07:10 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #17829
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Must be just me but I didnt enjoy that book at all! Its an oft quoted and highly praised book but I found it annoying!
It seems to be a hit or miss book for most people. I found the ending a bit on the lame side, but Bradbury's descriptions of autumn and boyhood always very good.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #17830
CRussel
(he/him/his)

OK, looking for some recommendations here. Specifically, opinions about Ryk Spoor's Grand Central Arena series. The November bundle from Baen includes the second book in that series along with two books I already have, a book I bought the eArc for (Trade Secrets), and two books I have no interest in. (I won't read Kratman, full stop, and a Christmas book? I don't think so!) So the decision is whether to buy the bundle for the two books, or buy the one I know I want, Trade Secret, and pass on the bundle.

Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #17831
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm reading 'The Beltane Choice ' by Nancy Jardine. Totally enjoying this spicy romantic romp set in Roman Britain. Don't be deceived by the brown cover - it's a hot chilli inside!
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #17832
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I also picked up a copy of Er ist wieder da, a German satirical "autobiography" of Hitler, who finds himself waking up in Berlin of 2011, and tries to win over the country a second time. So far it is a delicious novel. The author imitates Hitler's writing style (Mein Kampf) and way of talking superbly, and it's clever, comic, tongue-in-cheek and thought-provoking. Like political cabaret in book form.
I really like the sound of this. Looking forward to it becoming available in English translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This book sounds very interesting and I will be getting it. Amazon UK is showing March 27, 2014 as the release date for the ebook translation. Amazon.com is showing the same date, but only for the Hard Cover.
Apache
Thanks for the info - I had a quick look to try to find out when it would be available. Where on Amazon did you find the details - I couldn't find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. The first outing for California private eye Kinsey Millhone. I enjoyed this, although I spotted the villain a mile off. (I didn't really work out the whys and hows, just that tradition dictated that it had to be this person.) A first-person narrative is always engaging. I wonder if they still drink and drive so much now they're up to W?
W is still set in the '80s, so yes, they still do. I was a bit surprised when Kinsey started downing glasses of white wine at a bar/club in W is for Wasted - I noted there was no clarification of how she got back to her hotel (where she awoke with a bad hangover), even though she had driven to the bar.

Last edited by orlok; 10-04-2013 at 07:26 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #17833
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
A Traveller In Time by Alison Uttley is a very fine fantasy YA novel.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now on my TBR.

Currently reading Sorry by Zoran Drvenkar after seeing some very positive reviews. Only a few pages in, so cannot really comment yet, but I am enjoying the writing style (translated). It is about a group of four friends who set up an agency in Berlin called Sorry. An agency to right wrongs, unfair dismissals, the wrongly accused and so on. But then it all starts to go wrong when they take on a client who is a cold-hearted killer...
Old 10-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #17834
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Bull God by Roberta Gellis.

From a Baen bundle I bought back in November 2003. My oldest unread bought ebook.
Annoyingly it's not available as an ebook at Baen for some reason. I'd like to get it for my youngest daughter, as her name is Ariadne .
Old 10-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #17835
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I really like the sound of this. Looking forward to it becoming available in English translation.

Thanks for the info - I had a quick look to try to find out when it would be available. Where on Amazon did you find the details - I couldn't find it?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Look-Whos-Ba...I2AS8AOI1MWILM
I have it saved to my wish list.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote