Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
ipad (2017) for reading?

I was wondering if anyone here has the latest, basic model iPad, and how it works for reading on? I currently have the mini 2, which I like, but I've considering upgrading, and right now, I can get 150 for it at Best Buy if I trade towards a new one. I'm just not sure if a device that large would be too cumbersome for reading on for hours at a time or not.

So just basically, all around, how is the iPad as a dedicated reader/web surfing device? I'd love to be able to just test one, but I live in the boonies, and the nearest BB or Apple Store, or anything really, is about an hour away, so no place to test it out.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has the latest, basic model iPad, and how it works for reading on? I currently have the mini 2, which I like, but I've considering upgrading, and right now, I can get 150 for it at Best Buy if I trade towards a new one. I'm just not sure if a device that large would be too cumbersome for reading on for hours at a time or not.

So just basically, all around, how is the iPad as a dedicated reader/web surfing device? I'd love to be able to just test one, but I live in the boonies, and the nearest BB or Apple Store, or anything really, is about an hour away, so no place to test it out.
The only thing I read with regularity on my iPad Pro are magazines. For me, it's too big for reading books. I do most of my reading on an e-ink device, a Kobo Glo HD.

I do have an iPad mini, and have read some books on it. I strongly prefer an e-ink device, especially in a dark room or outside in the sun. The mini would be be my second choice. I also do much of reading at night in bed...which makes the smaller 6" devices a better choice for me. And I don't like reading on a backlit screen. The front lighting on the Kobo and Devices like it are easier on my eyes.

I don't think I've ever read an entire book on any of my full sized iPads, aside from cookbooks, or to view pictures in a book.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The only thing I read with regularity on my iPad Pro are magazines. For me, it's too big for reading books. I do most of my reading on an e-ink device, a Kobo Glo HD.

I do have an iPad mini, and have read some books on it. I strongly prefer an e-ink device, especially in a dark room or outside in the sun. The mini would be be my second choice. I also do much of reading at night in bed...which makes the smaller 6" devices a better choice for me. And I don't like reading on a backlit screen. The front lighting on the Kobo and Devices like it are easier on my eyes.

I don't think I've ever read an entire book on any of my full sized iPads, aside from cookbooks, or to view pictures in a book.
My last few devices have been tablets, so reading on those are no biggie for me. I'm just mostly concerned about the size difference, because I've always had 7-8 inch tablets, not 9.7. Still probably lighter than the hardbacks I used to read!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
This depends largely on personal taste, but let me offer you another perspective. I have an eInk device or two, and an iPad Pro 9.7 (basically the same size as the new basic iPad). I do more reading on my eInk devices than on my iPad, but I find myself doing more and more on the iPad. As far as weight goes, a hardcover novel would weigh more than the iPad. Some people like a larger screen as it gives them more flexibility in font size and viewing any graphics the book may contain.

When I read with the iPad, I have it in landscape and use both hands to hold it. But it's no more tiring to hold than a hardcover book would be. Maybe a little less so. In fact, this 2017 basic iPad doesn't weigh that much more than your mini.

As far as web surfing goes, the iPad does well enough. Probably similar to your mini - only with a larger screen!

I understand about living in the boonies, as I am in rural Maine. Still, the best thing to do is to try out the larger screen for yourself. The weight won't be an issue. The only question is whether you like the larger size for reading - and only you can know the answer to that!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I do a lot of reading on my iPad, and find it excellent for it, particularly for PDFs, which need the larger screen size. For fiction, I prefer my eInk Kindle.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-19-2017 at 01:55 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:02 AM   #6
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
When I read on my iPad pro 9.7 I use landscape and 2 columns and I like it.
The iPad 9.7 is IMO too large to use as a reading device when you read in bed. Here I use my iPad mini. Portrait one column.

When it comes to size then my Kindle is better when reading in bed. English is however my second language and I have been spoiled by the very easy and efficient access to dictionaries on my iPads.

I read books in Danish using my Kindle or my Kobo.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

My iPad Pro 9.7 is my preferred device to read on. I've also got an older iPad Mini 2 which I used prior to getting the Pro 9.7. I was concerned the Pro would be too big, but it really isn't in my case. I read ebooks in two column landscape mode, and did so on the Mini 2 also. I long ago gave up on those small 6" eInk screens preferring the larger, color, high resolution screens of the iPads.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I have an Air 2 , a Mini and e ink kindles, I have no problem reading books on any of them. The e inks are what I use outside. I have different books on each device so I'm always reading on one of them. I don't use landscape when reading on the Apple tablets and have no problem with the size of the Air 2 to read a book on.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
I have a Mini 4 and a Pro 9.7" (which I think is the same size as the 2017). I read happily on both though I definitely do get some wrist strain if I hold the Pro for too long even if it's two-handed. It's better for me to read on the larger device if I have it propped up somehow. The case I bought allows me to prop up the device quite easily. I don't have the wrist strain problem with the Mini at all.

I read landscape with two columns on the Pro. On the Mini, I read either single-column portrait or two-column landscape depending on how I feel like holding the device.

For outdoor reading, which is rare, I prefer eInk because it's way more visible in bright sun.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I do most of my reading on an iPad Air 2. I read a mix of formats and a Tablet is needed to support them all.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
So just basically, all around, how is the iPad as a dedicated reader/web surfing device?
I think it depends on where you do your reading. I like to read on my Air2 in landscape mode, 2 column, but only when sitting at a table with it propped up. My hands and wrists are affected by arthritis and I can no longer hold a large (or even smaller) tablet without support. I can manage my Mini if I lean it on the arm of the couch, but I actually prefer to read on my phone (a 6S) when laying down in bed.

The larger ipad is most certainly excellent for general web surfing, but also email, and other stuff (I like the odd game, and I also edit photographs using various tools from the app store)... all of which I do whilst its propped up with the Logitech Type+ keyboard cover I have for it.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
diremommy
Zealot

Thanks for all the great answers!

I do read mostly in bed, and I have a case that lets me kind of prop it sideways, so as long as I can find a similar case, I should be fine.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have abandoned my Kindle Oasis for an iPad Pro 9.7". The iPad Pro has true tone display that automatically adjust the screen to match the ambient lightning. Makes it much more comfortable to look at while reading. The basic iPad 2017 though doesn't have the true tone display.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 06-19-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote