Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
inline ToC via XPath?

For 'tricky' inline ToCs I could use XPath in calibre. Do that exist in sigil as well? May be with a plugin?

I use sigil 9.5 (standard version in LINUX compositories)
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You would need a plugin. Plugins allow full lxml support and that includes Xpath. Sigil's toc is built from heading tags and not via xpath expressions.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

That's the first big MINUS for sigil. As an epub-editor it should have at least the features from a none-explicit-epub-editor, like calibre.

Is that non-existance to create inline ToCs via XPath to rectify somehow?

EDIT: Does such a plugin exist?

Last edited by chaot; 03-19-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add: explicit
Old 03-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please explain why you need a xpath expression to create a basic toc. Have you tried to literally auto create the toc and then edit it? Are there no heading tags anyplace? If not, have you tried a regular expression search and replace to insert them so that software that deals with accessability issues can properly identify structure.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Thanks that you still communicate. I didn' t expect that too much.
Just to use real-world-words: I am angry!

We don' t speak about basics, as I mentioned in #1.

Explanation will be provided in a new thread (invitation inclusive).

Last edited by chaot; 03-19-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I am really having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say ... ask

To reiterate:

- there is no xpath creation for tocs in Sigil and none is planned.

- most xpath expressions for search/tocs creation can be handled via regular expression search and replace to add in the proper heading tags so that readers with accessability software can properly detect the structure.

- if you want to use xpath search/selection then you will need to do that in a plugin as you will then have access to lxml and other tools like cssselect and the like

- I have no idea if any current plugins use xpaths to build tocs or select anything. If not, and if you wanted that feature you would have to create your own plugin.

Hope this now makes things crystal clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post

Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I don't understand your problem with choosing the tools you work with?

A Mini can't haul a basketball team. You choose a Bus, not complain to the maker that a Mini does not hold 7 foot tall players, let alone a TEAM of them.

Sigil (automates) generates TOC based upon H# tags. That works as advertised.

So I simply choose to change (using S&R) whatever is the chapter/part title to use H# tags and STYLE those to look exactly the same as they did.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Cristal clear! I go to bed now!
If everything would be 'christal clear' we wouldn't need that thread.

Good Night!

EDIT: @theducks: Nice to got you 'aboard' again. I will reply tomorrow.

Last edited by chaot; 03-20-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: inside → 'with us' → 'aboard'
Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I know Kevin and DiapDealer don't like these sort of discussions but...

Quote:
As an epub-editor it should have at least the features from a none-explicit-epub-editor, like calibre.
Why?

Firstly, leaving aside the fact that the calibre editor can also edit AZW3 (KF8) files, the calibre editor is just as worthy of being designated as an 'explicit epub editor' as Sigil is.

The Xpath capability found in the calibre editor Toc Editor was created as part of calibre's Conversion capabilities, which predate it's epub editing capabilities by a good number of years. One has to wonder if Kovid would have included the Xpath capability in the calibre editor had it not already existed.

Suggestion #1: read my post 14 and ensuing comments in this thread ==>> italic at end of line... .

Suggestion #2: why don't you ask Kovid where the XPath processing is located in the calibre source, download it, and massage it into a Sigil plugin.

Suggestion #3: There is no reason why, with due care and forethought, you can't use both editors - as I do.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

@Better Red
Reply to suggestion n2: Why not make that to a comun interest?
I start the thread, we all work together, at the end we will get a calibre originated XPath creator for sigil.

Do you agree, Kovid?

Last edited by chaot; 03-19-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I know Kevin and DiapDealer don't like these sort of discussions but...
If you mean talking about calibre, I don't mind a bit.

When someone wants to do something that Sigil can't and calibre can, I don't mind at all if someone points that out to someone. We're not in competition with calibre at all--love the program.

Where I get cranky is when the same someone(s) tend to give calibre instructions/answers (in the Sigil forum) for every Sigil question that someone (especially a newbie) brings up. With no regard as to whether Sigil is capable of "answering the call" or not.

In this case, I'd be perfectly OK with someone telling the OP how to use calibre to generate ToCs with XPath. 'Cause Sigil probably won't ever do that inherently.

With Sigil, you can generate an NCX from Headings, or you can create an NCX (without headings if you like) with the ToC editor. Once that's to your liking, then the "inline" (or HTML ToC) can be automatically generated using the "Create HTML Table of Contents feature (and styled with a custom css template if you like).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-19-2017 at 06:35 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
In this case, I'd be perfectly OK with someone telling the OP how to use calibre to generate ToCs with XPath. 'Cause Sigil probably won't ever do that inherently.
I didn't know the calibre editor even did Xpath till the OP indicated it did, but for others who want to know how, see ==>> Editing table of contents

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

@DiapDealer: I know enough about XPath to create an inline ToC - in calibre.

Last edited by chaot; 03-19-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #14
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

@BetterRed:
As usual in calibre manual: it give you not the full info.
A quick look up indicates under 'Miscellaneous tools': Tools aren't further explained.

Last edited by chaot; 03-19-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
@DiapDealer: I know enough about XPath to create an inline ToC - in calibre.
Well there you go.

Sorry, but not every feature is going to be mirrored between the two programs. The good news is that one of them does what you want.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote