Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #556
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So does this mean they are finally in stores?
Yep. I pre-ordered one and got an email last night that they would be in stores today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Yeah, I would too - I also see some pink top left and along the right edge. Sorry to say that one looks to me like a Technicolor nightmare
Thanks. Honestly the pink isn't so bad in person. But the green splotch is distracting. I was just trying to see if I was over reacting. I'll be making a trip to Best Buy.

Last edited by brdwygurl; 10-19-2012 at 03:04 PM.
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #557
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
I picked up my paperwhite today at Best Buy and was really hoping to get one without the color blotching issues.

Unfortunately I have a greenish blob at the top center/right part of the screen.

I have seen worse, but also have seen better. Should I return it and risk getting one that's worse?

I would take the risk and try an exchange.

Last edited by JoeC; 10-19-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #558
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
From the picture its difficult to judge if the screen in real life is that pinkish.

Was the picture taken with a camera that was calibrated prior to taking it? I am talking about the white balance. Any light condition will influence the real colour of the picture.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #559
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
From the picture its difficult to judge if the screen in real life is that pinkish.

Was the picture taken with a camera that was calibrated prior to taking it? I am talking about the white balance. Any light condition will influence the real colour of the picture.
My PW has no color taints on the unit. However, my pictures posted here do show some come color taints.

Thus, inexpert photographers may not really know how to get a proper picture.

In addition, ambient and PW lighting are important to the APPEARANCE both on the unit, itself, and in the photos.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #560
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
We got SO's PW yesterday. At first he was thrilled with it (and as we'd agreed prior, I didn't comment on the obvious pink blob in upper right hand corner). He's...let's just say, generally a way more easygoing person than I am, and I expected him to be content with his. However, he also loves technology the way I do, and by this morning he'd told me the blobs were getting to him, and he also has a dust speck (or stuck pixel, or whatever the e-ink equivalent is) lighting up like a little star in the center part of screen. I know they've been mentioned here but I honestly didn't expect *that* to be the problem we'd get, I just expected more color blobs.

So it looks like both his new unit and my replacement are going back for refunds and we're sticking with our old Kindle Keyboards for now, although he's going to try Amazon's lighted case for his (we both previously used Kandles).
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #561
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My PW has no color taints on the unit. However, my pictures posted here do show some come color taints.

Thus, inexpert photographers may not really know how to get a proper picture.

In addition, ambient and PW lighting are important to the APPEARANCE both on the unit, itself, and in the photos.
As I mentioned, the screen does not appear that pink IRL. The photo was taken with my iPhone, so there was no calibration on the camera

My issue is more with the green hue in the top center/right. When I am reading, it reminds me of the after image effect you get from looking at a bright light, and then looking at a white page. In fact at first, that's what I thought it was. I even turned my Kindle upside down, to see if I still noticed the green area or if maybe it was an effect of how and where I was looking on the page. Turning the Kindle upside down the blob was still noticeable, just at the bottom of the screen.

I chatted with Kindle support, and offered to email them the pictures of my screen. The representative said that would be helpful. After receiving my pictures (and going through the standard factory reset, verifying that I hadn't dropped it or gotten it wet) they said rather then me exchanging it at Best Buy they would send out a new one. I have 30 days to return the defective one, or they will charge my credit card for the second unit. I was happy that I didn't have to send mine back first. My new one should be here by the 23rd, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #562
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
We got SO's PW yesterday. At first he was thrilled with it (and as we'd agreed prior, I didn't comment on the obvious pink blob in upper right hand corner). He's...let's just say, generally a way more easygoing person than I am, and I expected him to be content with his. However, he also loves technology the way I do, and by this morning he'd told me the blobs were getting to him, and he also has a dust speck (or stuck pixel, or whatever the e-ink equivalent is) lighting up like a little star in the center part of screen. I know they've been mentioned here but I honestly didn't expect *that* to be the problem we'd get, I just expected more color blobs.

So it looks like both his new unit and my replacement are going back for refunds and we're sticking with our old Kindle Keyboards for now, although he's going to try Amazon's lighted case for his (we both previously used Kandles).
Sorry to read your SO's has color blobs and the glowing speck issue too. I'm considering trying one more at Best Buy, but it's likely a waste of time.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #563
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
I chatted with Kindle support, and offered to email them the pictures of my screen. The representative said that would be helpful. After receiving my pictures (and going through the standard factory reset, verifying that I hadn't dropped it or gotten it wet) they said rather then me exchanging it at Best Buy they would send out a new one. I have 30 days to return the defective one, or they will charge my credit card for the second unit. I was happy that I didn't have to send mine back first. My new one should be here by the 23rd, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I think I would rather exchange it at Best Buy because it's fresh stock there and it seems several who picked theirs up got a good one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #564
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I went ahead and bought a wifi one from Best Buy and returning the 3G one to Amazon. I believe the 3G was replacement 2. Worse case I'm $60 ahead by switching from 3G to wifi.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #565
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I went ahead and bought a wifi one from Best Buy and returning the 3G one to Amazon. I believe the 3G was replacement 2. Worse case I'm $60 ahead by switching from 3G to wifi.
How is the one you bought at Best Buy? Does it have color hue issue?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #566
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
How is the one you bought at Best Buy? Does it have color hue issue?
It's still charging. I'll take pictures later after its done.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #567
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Good luck with it.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #568
techiegirl
Groupie

This is the one from Best Buy. The pictures are at 24/12/0 brightness respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350772446.939423.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	94561   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350772456.134018.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	94562   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350772465.298927.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	94563  
Old 10-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #569
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Highest PW light looks best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
This is the one from Best Buy. The pictures are at 24/12/0 brightness respectively.
The PW light level of 24 looks good. The other two show definite pink blotches in the bottom half.

That seems to match what I've always thought that the high light levels flush away the problems and the low light levels highlight them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #570
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

I got a call from Amazon customer service today (I missed the call unfortunately) and they said they read my 1 star review of the Paperwhite and that I should call them because they are certain they can help me with my issue. I don't see how they can magically make color blobs disappear, but I may as well call them back and see what they say. If they want to send me yet another replacement, I guess I'll try another one.