Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Smile JailBreak (4.0.x - 4.1.2)

This is the usual K4 JailBreak.

It's mostly identical to yifanlu's jailbreak. So, as always, thanks to everyone involved in Kindle hacking, particularly yifanlu, ixtab & geekmaster .

Latest Updates (10/24/2014):

JailBreak v1.8.N.

INSTALL:

Jailbreak:

See the README in the package, or the wiki.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-k4-jailbreak-1.8.N.zip (86.4 KB, 34958 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-18-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Refresh package (ter)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re-posted mostly for the sake of having it here (although it is tweaked a bit):

I'm about to take a greatsword to the K4 wiki page, because I'm tired of the outdated docs when it comes to the Kindle 4.1.0. It'll shrink. It'll also be useful & accurate, which is better.

That said, I'd very much like if someone knowledgeable, and who actually *owns* a K4, could double-check all this. (Because, no, a K4 still didn't magically appear in my lap ).

EDIT: Fwooooosh.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
nice, thanks that wiki page was a bit of a headache.
i've only had the grey k4 (on my 2nd one now), and have never tried installing unofficial "update" packages (went in via diags ssh), but can do some testing at some point. will be getting my lady a black one for christmas so it's good to know there's still options

would karma you but it appears you were the last person i karma'd, so i've been instructed to "spread it around" some more first...
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Annnnd, I think I'm done! All the (main) docs about the K4 JB, SS, Fonts hack has been updated.

I moved my SS & Fonts hack wiki page, so there may be some broken links lurking... Ping me (or, if in the wiki, fix them) if you find some of these .

Wiki page, meet the meat cleaver! :}
Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Because installing the RNDIS driver in Windows is nontrivial, it would be nice if that were added back in, and also added to other relevant wikis.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@geekmaster: Done (on the K4 page, at least).
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There may be damaged links scattered around now that pointed into the old wiki. I remember a recent thread that pointed to the section header of the RNDIS stuff. At least those links will hopefully still go to the top of the wiki page...

Even the best of intentions have consequences.

Perhaps massive rewrites should keep all the old section headers, to preserve off-page links.

But at the same time, periodic refactoring is necessary.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There may be damaged links scattered around now that pointed into the old wiki. I remember a recent thread that pointed to the section header of the RNDIS stuff. At least those links will hopefully still go to the top of the wiki page...

Even the best of intentions have consequences.

Perhaps massive rewrites should keep all the old section headers, to preserve off-page links.

But at the same time, periodic refactoring is necessary.
Wiki implementations almost always have a way to list "backlinks", sometimes called: "What Links Here".

Also, Wiki implementations keep a revision history, just roll-back to a prior version if required, then check the backlinks.

The specific details of those features vary from implementation to implementation, but will be there.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: I was thinking more or less the same thing, until I realized GM probably meant links from *outside* of the wiki (ie. old forum posts linking to the wiki) . As for the wiki, I did a quick check yesterday, internal links seem okay, so far .
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: I was thinking more or less the same thing, until I realized GM probably meant links from *outside* of the wiki (ie. old forum posts linking to the wiki) . As for the wiki, I did a quick check yesterday, internal links seem okay, so far .
That makes sense.
As far as the two applications are concerned the forum and the wiki are two different sites.

I should have realized that is what he meant by myself. My bad.

After all, that is the reason my site was still on-line 2 years after it was used - - to support the hundreds of outside sites linking to its reference materials.

You may not get any feedback about what you publish there, but your materials get read by the world.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You are correct. I meant links from forum posts.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Kalja
Kalja began at the beginning.

Hi again, tried to jailbreak my Kindle 4 Black - everything worked fine until I wanted to proceed with step 4: "Select "R) Reboot System" and "Q) To continue" - no reboot but instead my kindle freezes within the TEQUILA System Diags Screen and the COursor isn't moving any more - any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Update - could do a restart and exit the diags mode - unfortunately found no "linkss" folder to do e.g. the screensaver hack - when I tried it i got an update Error UE003 and UE007...

Last edited by Kalja; 09-16-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Kalja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Kalja:

* If it's rebooting, chances are, indeed the screen will be frozen during the reboot process.
* Don't reboot with a custom .bin in the userstore
* If you never saw the Jailbreak screen and/or book, then, of course it didn't work, which explains the U007 failures.

I still don't have a K4. Someone care to double-check?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Kalja
Kalja began at the beginning.

@NiLuJe: I saw the Jailbreak screen - so I thought it worked - but obviously did not...can I try the whole procedure again...so I could be your "tester" ?
Kalja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Kalja: At which step did you see the Jailbreak screen (specifically was it during a boot to diags, or to main?)? Did you end up with the 'You are Jailbroken' book?

I wouldn't mind having a look at some logs (;debugOn => ;dumpMessages => ;debugOff in the search bar), that might shed some more light on this .

Tags
jailbreak, k4nt