Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Smartphone as Wifi Hotspot

I received my new Nook yesterday and picture my chagrin when you I realized you have to have access to a Wifi connection to register the darn thing. Well I took it to the library but there you have to log in via the web so that was a no go. Then I remembered, I could use my smartphone (A Samsung Galaxy) as a Wifi Hotspot. Now I'd never used it as such before but I held my breath and hey presto, it worked! I also tried it with my Kobo Touch and it worked with it as well. So that's my tip for the day. If you don't have a Wifi connection but own a smartphone? Check it out, you may be in luck
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
phansen1218
phansen1218 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Don't be to hasty with this. Many plans charge extra for the hot spot. I bought a smart phone to get the hot spot. Worked really great. But the phone was terrible. Very difficult to make a call. Just my opinion on this.....
phansen1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Then you should check out the Samsung Galaxy II S and a decent plan... hotspot great and no extra charges unless I happen to overrun data usage (quite difficult)... and the phone is great...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen1218 View Post
Don't be to hasty with this. Many plans charge extra for the hot spot.
OP was from Sweden. Apparently, carriers there don't have as tight a hold on devices as do carriers in the US. Android has offered Wi-Fi hotspot capability since version 2.2 Froyo. It just so happens it gets disabled in most phones locked to carriers in the US.

Frankly, hotspot is a phone feature. The carrier shouldn't have a say on whether you're allowed to use it or not, as long as you're paying for metered data. Now, if you're on unlimited and use 5+GB a month, then yes, it's understandable for carriers to impose limitations.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-06-2011 at 01:04 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have a Sprint phone (unlimited data) and a Verizon Tablet (3 GB month to month data). On Sprint, the WiFi hotspot costs $35/month extra while on VZW it is included in the data plan cost.

Of course the difference is the unlimited data Vs. 3GB. VZW would love for me to exceed my limit so they can charge me more.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I had to do this for my mum's Kindle when my WIFI router died and I had it replaced.

It took weeks before I sorted out the kindle's connection to it and she was champing at the bit for more books.

Activated WIFI hotspot on my Desire HD search on the kindle for it and hey presto! Connected! Downloaded her books. It was dead easy.

And seeing as I work for Everything Everywhere (the merged company of Orange UK & T-Mobile UK), I get free data. So no charge.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
On my girlfriend's phone from Sprint, she used to be able to use it as a hotspot, but an update removed that ability unless you paid them extra. Wasn't something we used a lot, so didn't opt for the monthly fee, but just sucked how they changed it like that.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote