Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
If the price does come out to be comprable to the color nook, I doubt that Amazon will grap that much of the market with a heck of a fight. On the other hand, B&N has done a fairly poor job so far at servicing any market other than ebooks with the color nook, and Amazon is a tough competitor, so a heck of a fight might be just what they have in mind.
Indeed, Amazon has a lot of tools to fight with:
ebookstore, appstore music and video stores, video streaming service, Cloud Drive, and Prime itself, which may or not include a lending library.
PCWorld has some interesting math in mind:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24057...heres_how.html

By their reckoning, the mythical Amazon tablet would have an "effective price" of US$171, since they expect it to come bundled with a year of Prime.

It seems a reach, but the same kind of logic underlies the KSO and that sucker moves like zero-calorie hotcakes.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm thinking of buying Amazon's tablet as a two-for-one device: e-reader and internet "toy" to get me out of the office chair sometimes.
L.J.
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2012 at 06:37 AM.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Then there is this "Amazon is so different from Apple because their plan is to make money from content", etc etc, as if the iTunes store does not exist.
Amazon may not release numbers, but Apple do, so we know that the iTunes store is not a major part of their revenue, and as for profitability, last year they described iTunes content sales as running a bit over breakeven.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #19
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Amazon may not release numbers, but Apple do, so we know that the iTunes store is not a major part of their revenue, and as for profitability, last year they described iTunes content sales as running a bit over breakeven.
Interesting. I'm surprised that they don't do better with it, considering the cut from content sales.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Indeed-from last quarter:
Apple's total revenues: 28.6 billion.
Total profit: 7.3 billion.
iTunes Store revenues: 1.37 billion.
Profit: unknown
That includes music, movies, TV shows, books, and apps. We know they make 30% on apps, but music was estimated at around 10%. No idea about the movies and TV shows.

The iTunes Store is maintained to drive hardware sales, and it's tough to estimate what the Store is worth in terms of hardware sales.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
lol

What?
My preference in a tablet is a 7" Android device, because it fits my definition of portability. When the 10" HP TouchPad went on sale for $99, I bought one. Why? Because it was $99. Do I now consider it to be my tablet? No; it's a $99 toy that'll be used in the living room to replace my netbook. Would I ever pay full price for a 10" tablet? No.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My preference in a tablet is a 7" Android device, because it fits my definition of portability. When the 10" HP TouchPad went on sale for $99, I bought one. Why? Because it was $99. Do I now consider it to be my tablet? No; it's a $99 toy that'll be used in the living room to replace my netbook. Would I ever pay full price for a 10" tablet? No.
Well, I bought a couple of Touchpads as well (32gb though), but I would never set that as a STANDARD for any current, top of the line tablet. That's not even realistic, the Touchpad was a once in a lifetime event--we were witness to a leading manufacturing tech company going up in flames. Hardly a market norm.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I bought a couple of Touchpads as well (32gb though), but I would never set that as a STANDARD for any current, top of the line tablet. That's not even realistic, the Touchpad was a once in a lifetime event--we were witness to a leading manufacturing tech company going up in flames. Hardly a market norm.
The thing is, I don't need top of the line in desktops, laptops, or tablets. I'm quite happy in the low to middle range. Anything more is just wasting my money.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #24
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Reading this article makes it sound like Amazon will have two video services. The Prime video service only had a paltry 10,000 videos, while the non-Prime Amazon Instant Video service has over 100,000 videos. At least that is the way I read their press release.
This is not news--they have had exactly this model for a few years. If you go to their website, you can stream 10,000+ for free w/ Prime, or many more for cost on the Amazon Instant Video service. Really new releases run about $2-4. I've enjoyed it; it has content almost equivalent to Netflix for Prime, and content similar to the Redboxes for AIV. Only, no trip to the Redbox with the all-too-common "they're out of copies" experience.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #25
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
If you look at the Kindle, its specs are no better than the other e-ink readers and its design is like something out of 1985.Yet it connects smoothly and simply to the world's best ebook store. That's why it dominates.
You think that ads / low price have nothing to do with it?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
You think that ads / low price have nothing to do with it?
I bought a Kindle 3 because it was black and the Nook was white.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #27
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The thing is, I don't need top of the line in desktops, laptops, or tablets. I'm quite happy in the low to middle range. Anything more is just wasting my money.
I can't imagine what a regular non fire sale 10 inch tablet would buy you. But hey, more power.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I can't imagine what a regular non fire sale 10 inch tablet would buy you. But hey, more power.
A larger app store, maybe GPS. Nothing worth paying full price for; especially since my preference is for a 7" device.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #29
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
Near the end of this article, the author makes the case that most tablet users don't buy the device for business use, and that Amazon is poised to capture those consumers through price.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/te...ines&emc=tha26
HELLO!!! The Nook has been out for a year at half the price of the iPad. This is nothing new. The Nook sold well and the Kindle Fire will sell well. Neither will have taken the consumer market away from the iPad.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #30
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post

I agree with the skeptics, though. The smaller screen is a definite "no" factor for me. I might have considered it if it had been 10". IIRC, the processor is one of the most expensive parts. Will Amazon offer graphics and processing power comparable to the iPad's?
In my case, 10" is too big for an ereader. I use my 7" Android tablet and like it but it still feels a little big and awkward for holding at some angles while reading in bed. So I am thinking of also getting a 5" or 6".

A 10" tablet is great for movies, web browsing and reading online news and perhaps textbooks on an table, but it is not easily held in one hand while reading with no support.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, apple, tablets