Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
I've got Kindle 1.0.1 instead of 1.0.4

Yeap, it's not a typo. I just got an 1.0.1 firmware update instead of the 1.0.4 (see the screenshot). I have kept my Whispernet off for the past week or so in order NOT to update my firmware. But it seemed that the update still managed to sneak in during the limited time while I was downloading new books. Maybe 1.0.4 isn't really ready for the prime time so they pushed 1.0.1 instead?

On a separate note, now that the firmware update's out, I was wondering if anyone found ways to make customary firmwares. Of all the possible enhancements, I really really want unicode support so that I can read non-roman mobi books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-16088-mod.gif
Views:	1200
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	10977  
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
keving1701
Trekker
keving1701 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I also got 1.0.1 just today. But reading in one of the forums a poster said that he turned his whispernet on, placed his kindle in sleep mode, and within 10 minutes his Kindle started updating. I did this and that's exactly what happened. I now show 1.0.4 on my Kindle.

Kevin
keving1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kevin, nice avatar. I am a trekkie and do read a lot of Star Trek books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I turned the wireless on and then went into the menu and selected update, worked fine
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I still have 1.0 and my "Update Your Kindle" is grayed out.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
According to the instructs that came with the online version of the patch, the "update" button is grayed out until there is an update present for it to do. Present meaning downloaded to your kindle already. So, you won't be able to press that button until your turn comes up for them to ship the patch down to you. But maybe you already knew all that.......
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
keving1701
Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kevin, nice avatar. I am a trekkie and do read a lot of Star Trek books.
I like to consider myself a trekker, rather than a trekkie. I've been to a Star Trek Convention, but I did not dress up as a Klingon....

I too read the books, especially the Original series and the Next Gen.

Kevin
Old 02-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Currently, I am reading The Sky's the Limit and A Good Day to Die. I do have Before Dishonor partially read in pBook and also Forged in Fire undread in pBook as well. I'm also rereading Enterprise: the First Adventure as well. Plus, I have all of the SCE series as eBooks and most (if not all) of the CoE as well.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Hey, let's not forget Star Trek: Titan. Gotta give a shout-out to Captain Riker of the U.S.S. Titan. I'm reading book one, Taking Wing, and it's really great. But some people complain that it has too much focus on character and not enough action.

Which, by the way, is the reason I enjoy it so much.

I'm more of a TNG fan myself, so it's good to see Riker in action with his own command. Finally.

All four ST: Titan books are available in ebook format.

Last edited by tsgreer; 02-28-2008 at 06:30 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Just checked mine same here 1.01 What gives?
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Hey, let's not forget Star Trek: Titan. Gotta give a shout-out to Captain Riker of the U.S.S. Titan. I'm reading book one, Taking Wing, and it's really great. But some people complain that it has too much focus on character and not enough action.

Which, by the way, is the reason I enjoy it so much.

I'm more of a TNG fan myself, so it's good to see Riker in action with his own command. Finally.

All four ST: Titan books are available in ebook format.
They have to start off giving more character info but as they move on that get s less. I did purchase Titan #4 Sword of Damocles from Fictionwise when they had it as a 100% micropay rebate and I really liked that one. #3 was good, not great. The weakest so far (IMHO). Too much Troy and her headaches.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They have to start off giving more character info but as they move on that get s less. I did purchase Titan #4 Sword of Damocles from Fictionwise when they had it as a 100% micropay rebate and I really liked that one. #3 was good, not great. The weakest so far (IMHO). Too much Troy and her headaches.
Yeah, I do get tired of Troy. I like the Riker and Tuvok characters, but Troy can drag on a bit. But I am liking the series so far.

Ok, back to topic, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Troy is not bad overall. It's just when she has these problems with her empathy that it can be annoying. But in #4 she is not a problem at all.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I heard not everyone gets the update at the sames times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
Just checked mine same here 1.01 What gives?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
keving1701
Trekker

I downloaded and read the Trek book that was available on this sight. Music of the Spheres.........one of the worst Trek books I've ever read. No wonder it was never published.

Kevin