Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Angry Fun and Games with Kobo Customer Service

I recently started reading a book I bought from Kobo a while ago, only to find that the second half is missing. It's literally half a book. Redownloading to ADE as well as Kobo Desktop yielded the same result. Clicking the link to the book in my Kobo Library gives me an invalid link - Kobo don't offer the book anymore. However, searching for it in the shop, it's still there. So my guess is that they cancelled the broken version and uploaded a corrected one.

Anyway, I wrote to Kobo with all the above info asking them to either put the new version of the book in my library or give me store credit. Reply came after more than a week. Gist: It's the publisher's fault, nothing we can do. But we're happy we've been able to help you.

Glad that at least you are happy, Kobo.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
You got further than I did. I was having a problem with a book I purchased on the Kobo book store (through my Kobo) that wasn't appearing in my library as available for download.

They never even responded to my (two) emails about the subject. It was then that I stopped purchasing books and e-readers from Kobo despite the fact that I still like their e-readers (their Android/iOS app is poop).

Ugh.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Seriously?

When I buy a book from Kobo, it's Kobo that's the seller and I am the buyer. Who is publishing the book doesn't matter.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Many people have far more luck getting results from Kobo through engaging their Twitter staff. Tweet them at @KoboHelp https://twitter.com/KoboHelp/with_replies
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Things like this pisses me off....

If this happened to me I would send Fumio Kobayashi a mail (https://www.linkedin.com/pub/fumio-kobayashi/5/a7/409) and make it trend on fb, twitter, etc.... (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rakuten/112758065405988)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuten.com
Rakuten seeks to empower merchants to deliver Omotenashi, a hospitality mindset, which helps sellers create lasting relationships with customers.
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Many people have far more luck getting results from Kobo through engaging their Twitter staff. Tweet them at @KoboHelp https://twitter.com/KoboHelp/with_replies
Thanks for the tip. I don't do Twitter, and don't really want to, but it seems Kobo are forcing me to...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I recently started reading a book I bought from Kobo a while ago, only to find that the second half is missing. It's literally half a book. Redownloading to ADE as well as Kobo Desktop yielded the same result. Clicking the link to the book in my Kobo Library gives me an invalid link - Kobo don't offer the book anymore. However, searching for it in the shop, it's still there. So my guess is that they cancelled the broken version and uploaded a corrected one.

Anyway, I wrote to Kobo with all the above info asking them to either put the new version of the book in my library or give me store credit. Reply came after more than a week. Gist: It's the publisher's fault, nothing we can do. But we're happy we've been able to help you.

Glad that at least you are happy, Kobo.

Let me send you a quick PM on here in a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Seriously?

When I buy a book from Kobo, it's Kobo that's the seller and I am the buyer. Who is publishing the book doesn't matter.

In a way it does matter. We receive the content (ebook) from the publisher of the book. We process that book through out system and it appears on the website (this is oversimplifying things somewhat).

If there is actually a problem with the book itself, as in this case sections of the book are missing, then it could be due to the file that was received from the publisher missed out the sections. We don't know what the missing data should be, and thus we do need to contact the publisher and detail the issue and obtain an updated version of the book.

We would then update the book and this can sometimes mean the original version is removed from sale, and the new one is added as a new item. It sounds as though this is likely what has happened to the OP.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

OK, they relatively quickly reacted to my reply to the mail I referred to in my first post and have now given me store credit. Even without me having to go through Twitter. That's not too bad. One wonders, though, why such a level of persistence is necessary in such a simple and clear-cut case. It took more than a week and a reminder for them to reply, and then another, rather urgent, mail from me before they came through. If this had been a book I really needed and not just a pleasure read this would have been a nasty situation.

Anyway, thanks Kobo, for resolving the issue after all.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

And thanks a lot, Sharkus, for your offer to help (which I hadn't seen before my last post) and your kind PM!! Much appreciated!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
patrik
Guru

Quote:
OK, they relatively quickly reacted to my reply to the mail I referred to in my first post and have now given me store credit.
That's great!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
And thanks a lot, Sharkus, for your offer to help (which I hadn't seen before my last post) and your kind PM!! Much appreciated!
You're welcome.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote