Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
r3dl4nce
r3dl4nce began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd ed
A new eReader with these features: does it exist?

Hello.

I and my girlfriend read a lot on our smartphones, but lately I tought about our eye care and I started to look for e-Ink readers. So I bought a Kobo Aura H2O second edition and it's very good, the internal reader is very lacking but I installed koReader and it's great, it has a lot of settings and I can read very good with it.
Now I'm interested in buying a second eReader (my girlfriend can use the Kobo, but I need a reader for me) and I'd like some features all in a device:
- 6" or 7.8"
- smartlight or whatever it's called, the frontlight that can change from cold loght to warm light (with the orange LEDs), it's very relaxing because I read a lot in the evening and at night (in bed with no ambient light)
- I'd like it to have Android so I can install Moon Reader (I have bought the Pro version) and Tapatalk (I read a lot of forums)
- I'd like hardware keys to turn page or a way to turn without touch screen press (in the Kobo sometimes it's inaccurate)

I saw three interesting device, but I can't find a single device with all features
- Tolino Vision 4 HD: 6", tap to turn page, smartlight, it's based on Android but it's closed so no play store
- InkPad 3 (Pocketbook 740): 7.8", very nice size and low weight, hardware keys to turn page, smartlight, no android so no custom apps
- BOYUE Likebook Plus: 7.8", no hardware keys, android with playstore but no smartlight (only white LEDs)

Is there some othe rmodel that I could't find searching the Internet with the features I'd like? Or should I choose amongst these three models? And according to all of you (more expert than me according to eReaders) one of thoese three model could be a good choice ?

Thanks
r3dl4nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Nook, Onyx, Boyue, Kindle
https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/...ng-frontlight/
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
kcladyz
Lover of little parrots
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 7", Paperwhite, iPad 9.7, ASUS 8, Fire & and 8 inch
I like B&N light that transitions to orange
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I like B&N light that transitions to orange
In theory it can be opened up to full Android, but it's flaky. I do not recommend this device if you want Android. An old Nook Glowlight on the other hand is an excellent Android device once rooted, but has no buttons or color-shifting light.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
r3dl4nce

Thanks for all replies.
I just looked at the Cleopatra 3 you mentioned, it should be the international BOOX T76ML Carta+ Spec http://boox.com/index.php/en/products/boox-t76-series
Sadly it has a very old Android, 4.0, while other eInk Android devices have 4.2

I think I should ditch my need for Android o.s on eReader
Advert
Old 04-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard

Personally I don't see the issue with Android 4.0 or 4.2. All major free reading apps can easily be found for those versions via a simple apk search. I read on an ereader using 2.1. What is it you want to do that 4.0 won't suffice. Incidentally there might be a new kobo coming soon with colored light. But it will be far more limited than the Onyx.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
r3dl4nce

Perhaps you are right. I just can't understand why there aren't more Android eReaders, with new android versions (just like smartphones) and with good technical specs.
I'll have to think about what device buy, thanks a lot for the advices.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dl4nce View Post
Perhaps you are right. I just can't understand why there aren't more Android eReaders, with new android versions (just like smartphones) and with good technical specs.
There are several good reasons such as a desire for good battery life, an E Ink supported driver, a processor with built-in E Ink hardware. The later versions of Android have become quite power hungry. I do believe the Android folks are beginning to address this concern with version 8.1 Oreo Go edition, with much less overhead and requirements.

Onyx has recently adopted 6.0 as the target which will allow it to use many more Android apps. Some are the older products are attempting to get to 4.4 which itself has some useful features. See our wiki Android for description of these older versions.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Personally I don't see the issue with Android 4.0 or 4.2. All major free reading apps can easily be found for those versions via a simple apk search. I read on an ereader using 2.1. What is it you want to do that 4.0 won't suffice. Incidentally there might be a new kobo coming soon with colored light. But it will be far more limited than the Onyx.
Why would you want to use an old version of some reading app that could have less features and could have bugs? If you cannot run the latest version, then you run the risk of the reading app not being what you want. It's not worth the risk. And you also run the risk of not being able to find a compatible version. So really, pick a reader that does as much of what you want with the reading app that comes with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There are several good reasons such as a desire for good battery life, an E Ink supported driver, a processor with built-in E Ink hardware. The later versions of Android have become quite power hungry. I do believe the Android folks are beginning to address this concern with version 8.1 Oreo Go edition, with much less overhead and requirements.

Onyx has recently adopted 6.0 as the target which will allow it to use many more Android apps. Some are the older products are attempting to get to 4.4 which itself has some useful features. See our wiki Android for description of these older versions.

Dale
Yeah but looking at Chaley complain about how google is restricting disk access similar to how iOS does in the newer versions of android so an android 8 reader might not be the best thing if you like to use calibre companion.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you want to use an old version of some reading app that could have less features and could have bugs? If you cannot run the latest version, then you run the risk of the reading app not being what you want. It's not worth the risk. And you also run the risk of not being able to find a compatible version. So really, pick a reader that does as much of what you want with the reading app that comes with it.
I guess its a question of how much knowledge one has on the subject.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dl4nce View Post
A final point against the Onyx is that you'd probably have to get it from China or Russia, and if there was a fault with it, it would be a hassle returning.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:01 AM   #13
r3dl4nce

That's not a big problem IMHO, I usually buy from gearbest and AliExpress without problems.
Thanks for the advice.