Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Google new jpeg compression guetzli

Hi Kovid do you have any plans to implement the new google open source jpeg compressor https://github.com/google/guetzli/.
Using it I am getting savings of 10%-15% more in lossless and lossy compression both. Though the processing time is longer but Image quality looks better to me.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre already has enhanced JPEG compression via mozjpeg -- in my brief tests I dd not see much difference between the two and I did not like the fact that guetzli tends to fade out colors a bit. But, my tests were not really scientific, so I could be wrong.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
You could be correct about the quality any way they are still working on it so it might improve over time. Personally I am interested in this for comics as a 10-15% difference doesn't matter much with 500kb cover. When you look at a 100mb comic book or 15-20 gb of comics the savings do pile up.
I am wondering with the way things are going with AI, Machine Learning and Deep Learning how far they can take media compression in particular and compression in general.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote