Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Martytoof
Enthusiast
Martytoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Replacement housings from Sony?

Does anyone know whether it is possible to get a replacement housing from Sony, and what the Part number and price would be?

I want to try painting the reader once it gets in, in the vein of the Steampunk reader (great job!), but want my original case as a fallback in case I goof it up.

I imagine Sony has to have stock of replacement parts, it's probably just a matter of finding out how to get them out of the warehouse and at what price

Edit: I'll answer my own question here. Looks like replacement housings are available for the U2, but at $100 a pop I think I'll be leaving my reader stock

Last edited by Martytoof; 08-15-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Martytoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
That's a classic, Sony move. I had a decent shortwave radio by Sony years ago. Not only was the power connector not available on any "universal" AC/DC adapter, but when the antenna broke, Sony wanted $75 for a replacement. This was just a plain, telescoping antenna like any portable radio would have, just longer. Of course, nobody on earth had non-Sony replacements of the right dimensions.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
"The Sony reader is not to be used as a hockey puck."
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Martytoof
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
"The Sony reader is not to be used as a hockey puck."
It will make for some great between-period on-ice reading though

Until someone goes top shelf and sends both my water bottle and Reader flying
Old 08-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
You might find someone with a version that could be partsed out. They still haven't asked for my broken one back yet (and I haven't called like I thought I would, yet.)

I can't say I will sell it (heck, I may disassemble it, take photos, and post them here so people can see the interior of it....) But I can't be the only person with a cracked screen that is otherwise useless.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
Martytoof
Enthusiast

That's what I figured. Once I get my Reader (ordered today, woohoo!) I'll try to find someone who's willing to part one out.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
I am pretty gutsy about electronics.

If someone has dissasembled one and has any info on tricky spots to take it apart let me know and I will disassemble mine and give it a paint job.
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
Martytoof
Enthusiast

I wonder what the best paint would be. What is the housing made of, do we know? I'm still waiting for mine to show up but I stopped off at Borders on the way to my hockey game to play with it. It seemed to be pretty solid, maybe aluminum underneath the stock paint?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Have a look here for pix, and here for a discussion of disassembly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote