Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #151
Akbar
Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Galaxy tab s3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonict72 View Post
Sony has two advantages. Much larger screen and much faster CPU. 10.3 is not much larger than 9.7 and the cortex A9 CPU is just brutal. That CPU is more than 10 years old. It's same as what Boox has been using for years. You will be much happier with the Sony.
The screen size depends on how and where you plan to use it, so it is a subjective factor. For me 13" is a negative since I want a device neither too small nor too big and 10.3" achieves the right balance.

Besides, Sony's stylus requires charging. It is good if the battery lasts as long as the tablet battery lasts, otherwise it defeats the purpose of owning a device which is supposed to save you from going to the power outlet every day. The Remarkable stylus is way better as it, besides not requiring battery power, also offers tilt sensitivity which makes it very attractive to artists.

The CPU might be slow on paper, but at least from the review, Sony is not much faster than Remarkable. And Sony is Second gen and for that price it would be ridiculous if they used that old CPU.

Last edited by Akbar; 09-16-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #152
sonict72
Enthusiast
sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I don't know about the cropping, and I certainly don't expect any device to do proper reflowing of PDFs - the format just isn't made for that.

What I know, though, is that my iPad's screen is slightly smaller than 10 inches, and it's close to being comfortable enough; my bet is that an e-ink screen will make the difference.

Would the Sony provide a better screen size? In a sense it would. But it would also be another large device I'd have to carry around. Plus, Sony doesn't seem to show any interest in selling one to me - no European distribution, and an extra closed software setup.
This company started with marketing people with only $197K in funding. Chances are, you are not going to get any breakthroughs in technology. It will be similar to what is already in the market. That screen size and eInk can work with scientific PDFs. I've done it for years. But it's not pleasant.
sonict72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #153
Morffius
Enthusiast
Morffius began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone / Paper
Does anyone in this thread have a reMarkable yet? I have a DPT-S1 and am looking strongly at the reMarkable so I can read textbook/technical pdfs and also normal books! The 13.3 is too cumbersome for me for normal books not to mention having to convert everything to pdf.
Morffius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #154
Philippe D.
Enthusiast
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o
Shipping is supposed to start tomorrow for the first batch of preorders, so people who got one should have gotten a "review" copy. Or maybe some Norwegians have one (according to a previous post, Norwegian pre-orderers were given the option to pick up their unit in Oslo on friday, in exchange for participating in some surveys organized by the company).
Philippe D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #155
Morffius
Enthusiast
Morffius began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone / Paper
Good to know! Hopefully some more good reviews will turn up soon.
Morffius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM   #156
leselysten
leselysten began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Shipping is supposed to start tomorrow for the first batch of preorders, so people who got one should have gotten a "review" copy. Or maybe some Norwegians have one (according to a previous post, Norwegian pre-orderers were given the option to pick up their unit in Oslo on friday, in exchange for participating in some surveys organized by the company).
A couple of first-impression videos from guys who picked it up in Oslo on Friday: Hans-Petter (in Norwegian) and Vojislav (in English).
leselysten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM   #157
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looks very nice!
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #158
Dutchbook
Enthusiast
Dutchbook can extract oil from cheeseDutchbook can extract oil from cheeseDutchbook can extract oil from cheeseDutchbook can extract oil from cheeseDutchbook can extract oil from cheeseDutchbook can extract oil from cheeseDutchbook can extract oil from cheeseDutchbook can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I really like the book-like packaging they did with the device, but I don't understand the sleeve. Even though I know it is wool felt, I would be scared shotless that a grain of sand would scratch my device. And how do you get the dirt that amasses at the bottom of the sleeve out of it?
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #159
Philippe D.
Enthusiast
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know about getting out the dirt inside the sleeve, but for the screen getting scratched - I've had an iPad for about 5 years, and usually take it with me in my work backpack, together with lots of papers and, well, anything that gets in (read: not very tidy), all with just its "smart cover" as protection; and I haven't had any scratching problem. So I wouldn't worry too much about this sleeve.
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #160
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've had an iPad for about 5 years, and usually take it with me in my work backpack, together with lots of papers and, well, anything that gets in (read: not very tidy), all with just its "smart cover" as protection; and I haven't had any scratching problem. So I wouldn't worry too much about this sleeve.
But the iPad has a toughened glass screen that's very scratch-resistant. What's the outer screen surface of this device made from? Is it glass, or is it plastic? If the latter, it'll be much more prone to getting scratched.
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #161
Philippe D.
Enthusiast

Hmm, you have a point - and I don't know what the screen surface is made of on this.
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #162
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
I really like the book-like packaging they did with the device, but I don't understand the sleeve. Even though I know it is wool felt, I would be scared shotless that a grain of sand would scratch my device. And how do you get the dirt that amasses at the bottom of the sleeve out of it?
If it's made of felt, could you turn it inside out and clean it that way?