Notices

Old 07-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
sladflob
Connoisseur
sladflob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura One
Percentage read in screensaver text

Hi everyone,

This is one feature I miss from the stock Kobo firmware, the ability to see the percentage read on the screen while the device is asleep. I know I can see the book status but it's not quite the same.

Anyway, I did a bit of digging and managed to modify screensaver.lua so that it appends the string " (93% read)" to the default screensaver text if screensaver_message is not set, and it works pretty well. It's a bit of a hack as you have to edit settings.reader.lua and delete the screensaver_message entry but it works as a proof of concept.

I'm just wondering if the powers that be think that this might be something worth adding in more properly? Maybe as a checkbox in the settings dialog? Or else maybe have a special identifier (like %p) that you can put in your screensaver text that gets substituted with progress percentage? I'm quite happy to poke around a bit more and have a go at it myself but I don't really know what the process is and don't want to tread on anyone's toes.

Cheers,

james
sladflob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
There is already some functionality to set a custom screensaver message. Like you said you could extend that with a few optional variables.

See https://github.com/koreader/koreader...nsaver.lua#L68 for an example of how that works.

Sticking "(93% read)" in the default message should be fine too.

Basically you make your changes and open a PR to get them included in the code, or if you want to discuss it before opening a PR you can post diffs in an issue or here on the forum.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #3
sladflob
Connoisseur

OK great, thanks!

I looked into using %p in the text as an identifier for percentage only to find that the inbuilt keyboard doesn't have a % character! So I made it @p instead. While I was at it I added @c and @t for current and total pages respectively. Seems to work quite well. I was wondering if I should add anything else, like title, author etc, that people might want to put in their sleep message?

I tried creating a pull-request but not sure if I have permission? Or do I need to make a branch? Sorry if these are basic questions... I am a developer but a bit old-school in that I've mostly used SVN before so this is a good exercise for me to learn github etc.

Cheers.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You have to create a "fork" using the link in the top right corner on GitHub. Then in your fork you could edit master or work in a branch. Working in branches is better but for starters it doesn't matter. (And it never really matters to anyone other than yourself in any case.)

Also see https://reflectoring.io/github-fork-and-pull/ (random page I just found; looks okay) and http://koreader.rocks/doc/topics/Collaborating.html

Quote:
the inbuilt keyboard doesn't have a % character!
There is, under symbols with shift active.

I meant to use the existing template function (i.e., with %1, %2, etc.) but let's first await the PR.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #5
sladflob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
There is, under symbols with shift active.
Cripes, don't know how I missed that... ok, have changed my code to use % instead of @.

Quote:
I meant to use the existing template function (i.e., with %1, %2, etc.) but let's first await the PR.
Right, it's done, #5121.

Thanks for all the help! It's making a lot more sense now.
Advert