Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 06:05 AM   #1
Norbi24
Connoisseur
Norbi24 doesn't litterNorbi24 doesn't litter

Device: Tolino Vision HD4, BOOX Poke2
Question/Wish in support of external dictionaries on Android

Hi guys,
At first many thanks for adding support of a few selected external dictionaries into Koreader.
Even though I do not use any of them, I added my dictionary to dictionaries.lua and it is working perfectly fine and this is the reason I have started to read with KOReader

The question is now, whether you plan to go one step further and let users select which of the installed apps should be used as a dictionary ? (for example, PockedBook reader app offers it)

Thanks again, Norbert
Norbi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
It is doable. Just iterate over the entire stack of installed (and enabled) packages and get a list of packages that are able to resolve specific actions like SEARCH, SEND or PROCESS_TEXT. Basically we need to create a table holding all the information and pass that to lua instead.

Just need to find someone willing to do the job. I'm not that one.

In any case Pocketbook implementation seems wonky and Librera seems a better example to follow in this area (plus the code is open source so any one can look up how it is doing stuff and port it over to KOReader).

The other option: move dictionaries.lua to external storage, so users can edit that file without rebuilding the application, is way easier to do.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
The other option: move dictionaries.lua to external storage, so users can edit that file without rebuilding the application, is way easier to do.
@pazos, thanks.
I also thought in your 2nd idea - that dictionaries.lua is some kind of configuration, so why not to move it to the external storage where also other config stuff is stored ?
@Frenzie, what do you think about it ?
In this way you could get more feedback which dictonaries are working and which not ...
Old 08-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Sure, I'd just add an extra line that loads an override from settings/dictionaries.lua or something.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #5
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Perfect, thank you, we could then more easily experiment with different dictionaries ...
Old 09-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Sure, I'd just add an extra line that loads an override from settings/dictionaries.lua or something.
@Frenzie, would you add this extra line?
Sorry for bothering you, but looks simple for you
Old 09-03-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finding time isn't necessarily easy.

Btw, I'm happy to support. New contributors make the world go round!
Old 09-04-2019, 04:11 AM   #8
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
If this is to be able to use android dictionary external apps, like golden dict or fora it'll be greatly appreciated.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchamaco View Post
If this is to be able to use android dictionary external apps, like golden dict or fora it'll be greatly appreciated.
Emphasis on like, because
Old 09-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Yeah, fora and goldendict pro are untested. I tested alpus which is the new fora and that worked fine. Goldendict free worked fine too.

IMO I would promote? just free packages readily available in FDroid (like Quickdic, Aard2 and Kiwix) and leave the others commented out on a plain text files somewhere in /sdcard/koreader.

It is just sad that I couldn't find a free stardict compatible dict app in Fdroid.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote