Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Agreed! Plus, it would decrease the long battery life that they try to sell it on.
Not really. Either they put a honkin' bigger battery in the Glo over the Touch or the light doesn't take much power.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I rather doubt that Kobo will put out a Mini with ComfortLight. The Mini has two main foci: the size, and the price. Notice how often retailers are able to put the Mini on sale. I can see a ComfortLight Mini regressing in both size & price.
Except that by now Kobo must be enjoying economies of scale with the frontlight, and may now be able to produce a Mini Glo (the Glimmer? the Gleam?) for the same price point as the non-Glo Mini was released at.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #18
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Thanks for this tip about the low price. My wife is now the happy owner of a great little Kobo Mini.

Except for the horrible first experience - the initial software upgrade forcing her to configure the Wifi setup TWICE as a result, once to get the upgrade, and again after it upgraded (along with the 5 minutes of screen flashing that looked like it was stuck in a loop) so she could complete the setup of her account (that was just a dumb thing to do to a new user), she is now very happy with it.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Having just purchased mine this month, I don't really want to see it on the way out QUITE yet. I want to feel like my purchase is still "supported" and want to still be able to buy the accessories - as hard as they are to find anyway! ... Unless of course I can get some good clearance deals...

Oh, I understand. I shouldn't have put it so bluntly, which is not the best way to say something when someone has just bought a new unit. (I remember now this happened to me with my PB360; shortly after buying it, the newer model came out and I wasn't too happy...)

Anyway, I too will be in line waiting to buy a new mini when that front-lit one ever comes out. Even now, it's hard to resist, but every time I turn off the light on my Glo, I find that I simply enjoy it too much when it's always on.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Not really. Either they put a honkin' bigger battery in the Glo over the Touch or the light doesn't take much power.

The solution is, of course, to make the case larger.....say, perhaps, the size of an Aura! That'll hold a bigger battery and then one can have a mini with a battery that lasts 6 months!

Dr. ['The Flawed Thinker'] Drib
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Oh, I understand. I shouldn't have put it so bluntly, which is not the best way to say something when someone has just bought a new unit. (I remember now this happened to me with my PB360; shortly after buying it, the newer model came out and I wasn't too happy...)

Anyway, I too will be in line waiting to buy a new mini when that front-lit one ever comes out. Even now, it's hard to resist, but every time I turn off the light on my Glo, I find that I simply enjoy it too much when it's always on.

Don
That's very considerate of you!

I also bought the Kobo mini two days ago but after the experiences of a 450$ Sony prs500 in 2007 and an 800$ iPad one in 2010 I can say that spending 60$ on a very functional reading tool it doesn't hurt as much knowing that it will be outclassed soon. It's part of evolution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The solution is, of course, to make the case larger.....say, perhaps, the size of an Aura! That'll hold a bigger battery and then one can have a mini with a battery that lasts 6 months!

Dr. ['The Flawed Thinker'] Drib
It's not that bad a solution. But there's an easier one. LiOn batteries are quite malleable and are set inside a sealed pouch. Most devices have empty spaces that could be filled with battery medium.(in this item's case the bezel is huge) They probably want to use existing components instead of complicating production with creating new ones. It is essential in such an affordable device. They probably manufacture it for less than 5$ a piece. The rest of the price is to feed the distribution chain as always...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #22
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's $59 here in NZ at Noel Leeming for about a week. Other stores like JB Hifi, Harvey Norman and Whitcoulls haven't decreased it yet.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #23
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Einne View Post
It's $59 here in NZ at Noel Leeming for about a week. Other stores like JB Hifi, Harvey Norman and Whitcoulls haven't decreased it yet.
Yup, Whitcoulls still have the Mini at $139!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #24
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
JB Hi Fi and OfficeWorks in Australia still show $49 for the KMini
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #25
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Just an update to those who are interested in the mini. I bought a black one today from my local Harvey Norman. They will price match, and because their shelf price is $109 they seem to have plenty of stock.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Einne View Post
The Mini is still $79 (free delivery) at Whitcoulls NZ now, the other places seem to be back to the original $138 price.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #27
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Just bought my Mini at JB Hi-Fi here in Oz, for $49, delivered freight free!

Glad I decided to check with MobileRead. Colour me happy!

Thanks for the tip.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #28
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Received my Mini yesterday and been playing with it since.

Luvvitt! A thing of beauty and a joy forever!
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #29
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Received my Mini yesterday and been playing with it since.

Luvvitt! A thing of beauty and a joy forever!
So small, so powerful, so light, fits so easily in one's hand... Good for you I like mine too!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote