Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2021, 04:48 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
One huge library is the way to go.

Use metadata, tags, saved searches, advanced searches to display the desired selection of books.
Maintain metadata. For e-books that do not have metadata, Calibre can automatically download covers, blurbs, series info and other data just by pressing Ctrl+D. You can even configure what resources should be used, and even install plugins for resources in other languages.

Please note that many people have much more than 1000 books and use one library.

Some of the few reasons for having multiple libraries are:
- One library for each language you collect books in (like English, German, Spanish)
- Fiction vs work documents (collection of manuals for example, or perhaps cookbooks)
- One library with proper e-books and the other with pdf files
- Separate library for books that are not processed yet into main library. You add metadata, check formatting, download cover, ... and then move the book into main library. Even that one I would implement by using a tag "___Not_yet_processed" (preceded by underscores, so the tag is always displayed at the beginning of the list of tags)
- Separate library for manga, comics, fanfiction

When I want to move a large number of books to the reader I use "save to disl" function of Calibre, so I can create elaborate folder structure by authors and/or tags and updates epubs and other format that uses metadata with the metadata from the Calibre database. Then I use function "create catalog" to make a nice internally hyperlinked document with books, authors, series, covers, blurbs that I can open with an e-reader and search / browse library on the reader.
Please note I use an e-book reader that supports hierarchical directories.

But ... it is your computer, use it any way you find convenient.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Virtual libraries are my preferred method, created based on a custom search. I don't find using tags all that helpful but I clean up the metadata as I import and liberate the books, add a category or more, find a nice cover, price paid, source, and who bought the book(self or husband) They get marked as read, together with any personal comments and a rating, also a note as to whether I want to read more in the series or by that author. About 12000 books, and it doesn't seem to run slowly.
I probably went just a touch overboard with the number of VLs when I had VLs for pretty much any searchable information in the main library. Most of which ended up never being used or being used so rarely that doing a search when/if I needed to was more efficient.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #18
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I use a single library, split up into a couple of virtual ones. (Default, Physical Books, Documentation & Manuals, and Fanfiction. I also have VLs for Series and metadata cleaning.)

Advantages:
- I don't need to remember which library a specific book is in. I can just switch to All Books.
- No fuss about which library to put a book in if I have both the physical book and an eBook.
- A bit simpler to backup.

Disadvantages:
- If you're looking in the actual file structure, everything's kinda jumbled in together. For example, searching for a specific fanfic in Agent Ransack will also bring up my regular books.
- I have columns specific to specific formats (e.g. #fanficstatus, or #manualtype) that remain unused for other books. This likely bloats things a little more than necessary.
- While the custom categories that aren't applicable to the current VL are hidden, the VL-specific searches remain show.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-08-2021 at 04:00 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:10 PM   #19
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
This may not be the place to ask this. What is a Virtual library in Calibre. I never heard of one before and how do you use one?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:56 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
This may not be the place to ask this. What is a Virtual library in Calibre. I never heard of one before and how do you use one?
Check Virtual libraries for more information. I tend to think of them as searches that restrict your view to a subset of the parent library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2021, 12:25 AM   #21
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I have one big library for "novels". That is a generic term, there are "short stories" in there as well. This contains both fiction and non-fiction, but due to my personal reading tastes, it is about 99.9% fiction.

I have a separate library for "reference books". These are textbooks, manuals, How To guides, books on computer stuff, ham radio stuff, cookbooks, travel guides, etc.

I have another library called "wanted". These are empty books that I might wish to purchase at some time in the future. I download all the metadata and cover art for them, so they appear just like a book would in my "novels" library - except there is no actual book to read. I'll use this library to hold later books in a series that I have started, but not purchased completely yet. Or for a book that has been announced, but not released yet. Basically a "don't forget about this book" memory area.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
folder, libraries, virtual library