Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Larryjr
Larryjr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo IMG Needed

I have tried a couple .img files but haven't found one that works yet. please can someone send me one
Larryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Please ask in the existing thread (where you already HAVE posted).

What is not owrking?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Larryjr: I'm pretty sure that the image you got from me is the only one around. If it isn't working, it is either in how you are applying the image or something else. Using a new card is a good idea.

But as PeterT asked, what is actually wrong? Or is happening when you try to start the device?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Larryjr

I thought it worked but the system froze when it updated. What I mean is basically that image you sent me got my Glo working but it said to connect to PC before it would load a book or let me read it... Basically I had to connect the glo to the PC and it forced an update... The glo froze during the update... Now now matter what I do or no matter how I load the image you gave me... All my Glo does is the blue light comes on for 25 seconds and then turns off... It never flashes, holding the light button does nothing anymore and neither does the reset button... My wife loves Kobo but I hate them... We are on our third on is as many years.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Profanity removed
Old 02-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
Mobileread strives to be a family-friendly site. Please refrain from using profanity.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2017, 01:30 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Larryjr: I assume you mean when you started the device it asked you to do the setup. This can be done either via WiFi or the Kobo desktop application. Neither should cause the device to hang. And, when it does, you can usually recover by doing a factory reset. But, that would put you back to the point where you need to do the setup.

You can avoid the firmware upgrade by deleting the firmware files before disconnecting from the PC. What you do is let the desktop application do the setup and download the firmware. When it says that it is finished and you can eject the device, before you do, you delete the firmware update files. This will leave the device on the factory firmware. If you want to do this, these files are in the ".kobo" directory on the device. You need to remove the files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum" and the directory "upgrade".

But, what you describe suggests there is another problem. I would recommend trying a different SD card. If this is failing, it could give the symptoms you are seeing. The card in the device is either 2GB or 4GB. You can use a larger card with no problems. I did this for my Glo last year. It was giving me all sorts of problems, and since I replaced the card, it has been running with no problems.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Larryjr

Went ahead last night and bought a new 16gb micro SD card. Put it into my PC....(asked to format) I said cancel. Wrote the PM'd .IMG file to the new SD card. Expanded the Kobo partition to include the free space at the end of the drive(roughly 14gb). Saved(clicked apply). Put the SD card into the GLO and here are my results.

I unplugged the battery and Placed the micro SD card into the readers slot..... Plugged in the battery..... And this is what I get....

When I hold the Home button and power on the unit, the light goes blue for 15 seconds and turns off. If I just try to power on the unit with out the home button.... Same result, blue light for fifteen seconds. Doesn't matter what I do I can not get any reaction other than blue light for 15 seconds.

I can't even hold the power button to get it to turn off... It's just stuck in this 15 second blue light loop.

Also, reset button doesn't do a thing, neither does the old SD card or plugging in the unit to a wall charger.

Is thing thing ready for the garbage?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

From memory, the blue LED flashing and stopping lake that means it can't find the boot partition. It could be a simple as the card wasn't inserted properly. But, it's more likely the something went wrong when writing the image.

What did you use to write the image? And how did you expand the KoboReader partition?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
julianoramoz
julianoramoz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Hi, guys. I'm from Brazil. Someone can send me a Kobo Glo image file.

To me, appear the "update device", then Kobo died.

I've instaled a new SD Card with android 2.3, but isnt a Kobo as well.

Can someone send me a image file, pls.

Last edited by julianoramoz; 05-20-2018 at 12:24 AM.
julianoramoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent in response to a PM. But:

- It is polite to actually give a reasonable amount of time to respond to a post before asking again. Four minutes is not reasonable.

- Why pick this thread? It hasn't been used for over a year and you had to go past several other choices. But, if anyone sees this, please use https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=210006

- I would recommend removing your email address. And I do not send the image links via email, so it wasn't needed.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #11
Dutchkoboreader
Dutchkoboreader began at the beginning.

Hello everyone,

I’m new here, just registered to the forum.

My wife has a Kobo Glo for about 4,5 years now. During the years she expererienced minor issues like freezing, shutdown while battery was > 90% ... uncovenient but we managed it with simple solutions and continued reading.

Now we’re experiencing a bigger issue and I have not solved it yet.

The screen remains empty (black) while the Kobo can be turned on/off, the backlight does function normal. A reset did not work, also a factory reset did not work (led blinked white for several minutes, after that no changes). Disconnecting battery no effect, the SDC is a 2GB sandisk.

My last resort is a new SDC (4GB?) or the old SDC with new image/ firmware.
What do you advice?

What I need is the IMG and maybe later some instructions but i think i’ll manage..

Thanks in advance!!

Greetz

Last edited by Dutchkoboreader; 06-03-2018 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Typos
Dutchkoboreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent. And see see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide for instructions.

And did you even read the last post in the thread? Or am I just wasting my time asking people to help me by using the right thread?
Old 06-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #13
Dutchkoboreader
Dutchkoboreader began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent. And see see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide for instructions.

And did you even read the last post in the thread? Or am I just wasting my time asking people to help me by using the right thread?
Sorry, I did read the last post. And the other treads. Then I registered.
I did not understand / read the last post good enough though.

Sorry for the inconvenience, i,m very gratefull for your help.
In the future I’ll try to post in the right threads.

Me is Forumn00b...
Dutchkoboreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
utente000
utente000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo (hw/sw problems), Kobo Touch, Onda
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent in response to a PM. But:

- It is polite to actually give a reasonable amount of time to respond to a post before asking again. Four minutes is not reasonable.

- Why pick this thread? It hasn't been used for over a year and you had to go past several other choices. But, if anyone sees this, please use https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=210006

- I would recommend removing your email address. And I do not send the image links via email, so it wasn't needed.
Hi davidfor, can you send me a Kobo Glo image? Thanks a lot.
utente000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utente000 View Post
Hi davidfor, can you send me a Kobo Glo image? Thanks a lot.
Really? You quote a message that explicitly asks people to use a different thread, with a link to that thread and you expect a response? I'm very tempted not to, but, that would be even ruder.