Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #1951
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson_chung View Post
I'm in China. I have updated my aura to the latest version. For Kobo ereader was not sold in China mainland, it seemed that Kobo has banned Chinese IP.
I'm pretty sure that it is China that is doing the blocking. The problem has been discussed plenty of times before. And, with the recent firmware, WiFi should work. The device does attempt to contact a URL on the Kobo domain. If it cannot to do this, it prompts with a message about whether to continue connecting or not. One reply stops the connection, the other lets the device connect to your WiFi. Any access to the internet is up to what is available to you at the time.

You can also add the following lines to the config file to connect without this promp.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
IgnoreCaptivePortal
If the first line is already there, add the second line in the block after it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #1952
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The device does attempt to contact a URL on the Kobo domain. If it cannot to do this, it prompts with a message about whether to continue connecting or not. One reply stops the connection, the other lets the device connect to your WiFi. Any access to the internet is up to what is available to you at the time.
Ooh, this may solve one of my old issues! I have a USB stick with its own built-in wifi router, and I keep a copy of my ebook library on it, but in the past I’ve been disappointed that the phone-home logic prevented me from turning on the stick, connecting to it with my Kobo reader, and browsing that library to download a book or two.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #1953
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
So, I wound up trying out using kepubs on my Kobo this week, and while it seems to work okay, my two main complaints are that the Kobo renderer doesn't respect "page-break-before: always", which is unfortunate because a lot of the technical RPG ePubs I've made rely on it, and that it tends to randomly put extra space after an emdash, which makes it hard to error-check to see whether I put an extra space in the file where one shouldn't be.

EDIT: Apparently that second thing is already listed as a bug. I guess maybe the first thing is probably closer to a bug than a feature request?

Last edited by Rand Brittain; 01-02-2021 at 11:58 PM.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:27 PM   #1954
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
A more customisable, better filter in “My Books”. Basically let the Kobo owner choose what they want to filter.

For example;
Be able to select “Reading” and “Unread”.
Be able to select “Unread” but not include “Previews”.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:25 PM   #1955
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
I know this has been mentioned before, but I want to repeat it just in-case Kobo is watching…

An alarm feature (which you set) that’s let you know how long you have been reading a book. A flashing screen or pop-up dialogue etc.

We can get stuck in a book for hours and forget that we have to get up in the morning for work…. A clock on the screen is not the same as this would get ignored in a good book.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #1956
kannalo
kannalo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Manga Metadata

Allow metadata to be added to cbz files that will be on the device maybe using a json or text file inside the cbz containing:

artist/author
series/book name
chapter number
kannalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:57 PM   #1957
Nekrodamus
Nekrodamus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hello! i make a deep request to you.

An option to disable / enable the clock.

I need to deactivate the clock, I hate clocks and that something as banal as time tells me when to start or stop reading. Please, it is only an on / off option.

I know that someone will tell me that if I am reading a good book I will not notice the clock, but I read a lot and when I browse the ereader it inevitably crushes me with the clock and it bothers me a lot. When he was not i was much happier.

Thank you.
Nekrodamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #1958
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannalo View Post
Allow metadata to be added to cbz files that will be on the device maybe using a json or text file inside the cbz containing:

artist/author
series/book name
chapter number
Perhaps when there is a standard for CBZ/CBR/CB7/etc. metadata, Kobo might implement that feature. Currently there is no standard and looking at the existing methods of embedding metadata, few of those that have any hope of becoming a standard.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #1959
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrodamus View Post

I need to deactivate the clock, I hate clocks and that something as banal as time tells me when to start or stop reading. Please, it is only an on / off option.

I know that someone will tell me that if I am reading a good book I will not notice the clock, but I read a lot and when I browse the ereader it inevitably crushes me with the clock and it bothers me a lot. When he was not i was much happier.

Thank you.
Sheesh! Did you not post a virtually identical message in August, 2020? Given that the stock firmware does not display the clock while you are reading and a clock was an often requested feature, it's very unlikely that Kobo is going to remove it. Pretty much your only option is to revert to an earlier firmware revision that did not display the clock.

So stop staring at your home/library screens so much and spend more time reading.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-30-2021 at 09:12 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #1960
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrodamus View Post

Thank you.
If, as you say, you "read a lot" then by definition you will not see the clock often because it is not shown while you're reading. It only shows on the homepage, or if you choose to view it. Do as you claim to do, and simply read a lot, and you'll seldom even see it.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #1961
troro
troro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My favorite request for a future firmware feature: an easy to use nightmode.

With Firmware 4.26.16704 it takes me - starting at the startpage - 6 steps to invert the screen and 2 further steps to get back to the startpage.

My suggestion: see screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-nightmode Firmware 7.26.16704 in 2024.png
Views:	194
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	186350  
troro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #1962
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troro View Post

With Firmware 4.26.16704 it takes me - starting at the startpage - 6 steps to invert the screen and 2 further steps to get back to the startpage.

As a work around, try NickelMenu.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #1963
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

NickelMenu takes only two screen presses to set night mode.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #1964
troro
troro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trollstroro doesn't feed trolls

Quote:
As a work around, try NickelMenu.
I tried NickelMenu.

But I'm pretty sure, that there are a lot of Kobo-customers who don't know NicklMenu, who don't even know mobileread.com.

It's a Kobo-reader, so I think it's Kobo's job to get their devices work properly.
troro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #1965
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried NickelMenu.

But I'm pretty sure, that there are a lot of Kobo-customers who don't know NicklMenu, who don't even know mobileread.com.

It's a Kobo-reader, so I think it's Kobo's job to get their devices work properly.
It was just a suggestion, to make sure that you (and others) know some possible alternatives.

I think your implementation is lacking, or at least needs to be expanded. When I change to night mode I also need to change the brightness, so for me, it would still be a multi-step process. I would like to see a short cut for switching modes and setting brightness to some saved values for the two different modes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo