Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #16
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Not on older Kindles.
The "You" owns the latest Kindle Basic. (Which can not be jailbroken at this time because of its firmware version.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:23 PM   #17
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To remove ads you call Amazon and pay $20 (If in the US). I don't know the cost to remove ads in other countries. But you have to be registered.
I don't see ads on my Kindle, I didn't jailbreak it, and I didn't pay Amazon to remove them.

All's I did was put the Kindle in airplane mode and leave it there (I sideload every book from Calibre). Apparently the Kindle downloads a group of ads from the internet every now and then. But if you're in airplane mode it can't do that. So it seems to give up and say "Fine, I'll just go without ads then!" once it runs out of ads in its queue.

Problem solved. And a few other potential problems as well (like automatic upgrades). You do lose out on syncing and X-Ray and maybe a few other things. But these are all things that I personally could not care less about. People that use these features can't stay in airplane mode all the time, and they will thus be stuck with the ads unless they pay up to Amazon.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #18
nnnmmm
nnnmmm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 6 10G Basic G090VB...
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
And a few other potential problems as well (like automatic upgrades). You do lose out on syncing and X-Ray and maybe a few other things. But these are all things that I personally could not care less about
Where can I find a manual how to stop updates?
it need some file to replace?
nnnmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnmmm View Post
Where can I find a manual how to stop updates?
it need some file to replace?
The best way to stop updates is to keep WiFi off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #20
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With Kobo (IMHO) you don't need DIRECTORY organization. Between collections and series and the various ways to sort eBooks, there is really no need for DIRECTORIES.

There's no "need" for them with Kindle collections either if you want to be pedantic about it

However a proper directory structure makes sense to me and therefore makes it much much easier for me to find the next book I want to read.

I do like the Kobo series implementation though (from what I remember of it, it has been a while since I last owned one).
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote