Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
Apostrophe in title always returns nil in metadata search

I am using the latest version as a portable installation. I have had a lot of frustration trying to get search results for books that I can manually find on Amazon etc. I discovered that most of these errors in metadata searches result from an ' (apostrophe) in the title. If I delete the apostrophe the search is successful and replaces the title with the apostrophe included. Is there a way (other than manually deleting the apostrophe to get the search to ignore it?
Regards
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Which search?

title:'
returns a list of all books with a ' (typically has 's in the title)

What user language are you configured for? That changes some of the rules
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
post some example books that the metadata search fails for
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

Weird. I have been working for about three hours on and off with the same consistent error which I now can't duplicate. I have swapped between different libraries but that is it.

The most recent books which only downloaded metadata if I deleted the apostrophe were all Saxon Andrew books:
Tommy's Tale
Demon's Sacrifice
The Prophet's Eyes
Mike's War
Jesse's Starship
Joshua's Walls
A Pirate's Tale
Greyson's Revenge
Dahlia's Deception
Juliette's Dream
There were others by other authors. I just added a few books randomly with apostrophes with no problems and even deleted the metadata on a few on the list and they had no issues reloading the metadata from a download search.

With a bit of luck it won't reoccur.

Regards

PS. I was only using title and author for metadata searches on Amazon, Google and Fantasticfiction

Last edited by bigpallooka; 12-03-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

OK. It just happened again.
Nomad's Journal
Michael Anderle & Craig Martelle
doesn't return metadata (suggests I try less information)
Nomads Journal
Returns metadata using the fantasticfiction plug-in (which I did recently install)
Old 12-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
OK. It just happened again.
Nomad's Journal
doesn't return metadata (suggests I try less information)
Nomads Journal
Returns metadata using the fantasticfiction plug-in (which I did recently install)
What Metadata sources are enabled. More than 1 gives you a fallback at the sacrifice of speed
(I use also Fantastic Fiction as my #1 choice)
Old 12-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

All except the non-English sources.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
All except the non-English sources.
No clue then.
Kovid chimed in, so now you have a list, we will see what he says
Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
nomad's journal works for me from amazon for example, with only title and author. It may be that you are being sporadically blocked by some websites for too many queries. You can try changing the amazon server used inpreferences->metadata download from automatic to amazon or google and see if it helps.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

I have had that happen especially with Amazon and changing it to another server/country often helps however I feel this is too consistent and the fix is instantaneous which is what is weird.
I'll see if it occurs over a period of usage.
I did install some plug-ins recently.
At least it is something I can easily overcome by deleting apostrophes.
Regards

Tags
apostrophe, error, metadata, search, title