Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #181
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Finally The Changeover by Margaret Mahy was just released for kindle. It was a Carnegie Medal winner so I was surprised it took so long.

Still waiting for Brother Jonathan by Crawford Kilian, Fool's Run by Patricia Mckillip, the Time's Master and Chaos Gate series by Louise Cooper, Fuzzy Bones and Golden Dream (not by Piper but continuing the Little Fuzzy series), and the Elenium and Tamuli series by Eddings. Those are the ones I most want an ebook version of. Oh, and A Night in the Lonesome October and Changeling by Zelazny ( it kills me that he wrote 2/3 of a trilogy and left it at a cliffhanger)

There are also quite a few that I'm waiting for price drops, mostly because I already have the paper version or I read them but didn't like them enough to keep a copy but I might rebuy for the right price.
Yep, most of that is on my to buy list as well. Fortunately, I snarfed up the Elenium and Tamuli back when they were available as omnibus book back in 2016. I've been looking for the Louise Cooper books for a while. She died in 2009, but her husband seems to be still alive and her website is still up.

I hadn't heard of the The Changeover. Thanks for the pointer, I'll give it a whirl.

Patrica McKillip's ebooks have been slowly trickling out over time. The Riddle Master series came out back in 1999, with the Forgotten Beast of Eld finally coming out last year about this time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #182
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm not all that hopeful about Fools Run. Warner books is gone and no one seems to have ever heard of Fools Run. I certainly have not seen any copies in bookstores forever. It's not in our library either. It may have been forgotten by everyone including the author. A pity. It's a great book.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #183
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I'm not all that hopeful about Fools Run. Warner books is gone and no one seems to have ever heard of Fools Run. I certainly have not seen any copies in bookstores forever. It's not in our library either. It may have been forgotten by everyone including the author. A pity. It's a great book.
SF Gateway have published the ebook version of Fool's Run outside US/Canada, so it hasn't been completely forgotten.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-09-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: SF Gateway
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #184
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I got a used paperback of Fool's Run a couple of years ago for almost nothing, from a charity shop which had a weirdly good selection of obscure/old SF.

I haven't read it yet.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #185
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do. It's my second favorite from Mckillip after the Riddle Master series. I'm guarding my only copy like gold because I wouldn't want to be without it and it's so hard to find.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #186
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I got a used paperback of Fool's Run a couple of years ago for almost nothing, from a charity shop which had a weirdly good selection of obscure/old SF.

I haven't read it yet.
It's really good. I really wish it was out in the US as an ebook! I have a paperback copy for now.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:56 AM   #187
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the gaps in Adam Roberts' backlist will be filled when The Snow (2004) is released as ebook in December.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #188
GeoffR
Wizard

Is this legit do you think?

Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light ebook
Publisher: Wilder Publications, Inc.
Release Date: December 30, 2018
Imprint: Amber Ltd
ISBN: 9781515439233

Only at Kobo and Nook (Edit: and Apple US/Canada only) so far of the bigger retailers.

(Edit: The publisher and ISBN info match the first five Amber ebooks so it is probably okay, it is hard to find any solid information about this publisher though.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-09-2019 at 01:41 AM. Reason: and Apple US/Canada only
Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #189
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

Only at Kobo and Nook (Edit: and Apple US/Canada only) so far of the bigger retailers.

(Edit: The publisher and ISBN info match the first five Amber ebooks so it is probably okay, it is hard to find any solid information about this publisher though.)

The ebook publisher for the first 5 Amber books is Amber Ltd, the Zelazny estate's private publisher. I would be a bit wary about any Zelazny book put out by someone else. I've seen a lot of complaints about Wilder. I would also be absolutely shocked if a legit, that Lord of Light was not on Amazon given that Amazon is the biggest ebook store in the US by a large, large margin.

I will say that Lord of Light appeared on the iTunes store a year or two ago. When I followed up by sending an email to Jane Lindskold, I was told that it was not legit and the book disappeared a month or two later.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #190
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The ebook publisher for the first 5 Amber books is Amber Ltd, the Zelazny estate's private publisher. I would be a bit wary about any Zelazny book put out by someone else. I've seen a lot of complaints about Wilder. I would also be absolutely shocked if a legit, that Lord of Light was not on Amazon given that Amazon is the biggest ebook store in the US by a large, large margin.
For the first five Amber books the publisher is also Wilder Publications Inc., and the imprint is Amber Ltd. But Amazon's metadata doesn't seem to have room for the imprint, so many publishers put the imprint name in the publisher field on Amazon. E.g. books published by Random House's Spectra imprint often just have Spectra listed as publisher on Amazon, but on other sites Random House is listed as publisher and Spectra as imprint.

Amazon can sometimes be slow at listing new books. Since this one was only released a week ago my guess is it will turn up on Amazon in the next few weeks.

But there have been so many pirated versions of this book uploaded to all the retailers over the years I am a little wary of this one too.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #191
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

Quote:

I will say that Lord of Light appeared on the iTunes store a year or two ago. When I followed up by sending an email to Jane Lindskold, I was told that it was not legit and the book disappeared a month or two later.
Quote:
For the first five Amber books the publisher is also Wilder Publications Inc., and the imprint is Amber Ltd. But Amazon's metadata doesn't seem to have room for the imprint, so many publishers put the imprint name in the publisher field on Amazon. E.g. books published by Random House's Spectra imprint often just have Spectra listed as publisher on Amazon, but on other sites Random House is listed as publisher and Spectra as imprint.

Amazon can sometimes be slow at listing new books. Since this one was only released a week ago my guess is it will turn up on Amazon in the next few weeks.

But there have been so many pirated versions of this book uploaded to all the retailers over the years I am a little wary of this one too.
I am going to keep my fingers crossed that it is legit. This is one of my favorite Roger Zelazny books and I have been waiting for it to be released as an ebook. I have reread my paper copy so many times it is starting to look shabby.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #192
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
You mean this one? It's been around on there for quite some time & I'm almost 100% sure it's not legit...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/lor...23784609?mt=11
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #193
GeoffR
Wizard

Re: Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light

Quote:
It's up on Amazon now too.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #194
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Thanks, I just bought it. This is the one book I have wanted as an ebook. I am going to read it as soon as I finish Through Firey Trials, Safehold #10.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #195
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Thanks, I just bought it. This is the one book I have wanted as an ebook. I am going to read it as soon as I finish Through Firey Trials, Safehold #10.
Apache
Great news. I would say ditto, i.e. just bought it and will read it when I finish Safehold #10. Maybe they will release Creatures of Light and Dark or Dervish the Damned next.

Tags
backlist, backlisted books