Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #526
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
ISo next year i think I should track the number of pages read because right now I feel slightly ridicilous with my 36 books among you guys.....
Whether it's 120 books a year or 12 books a year, the important thing is to enjoy the reading, and have fun with a challenge.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #527
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Some people enjoy being competitive I see nothing wrong with that.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #528
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
PS: Do you know whether there is a nice goodreads tracker to use on other pages ? Looked for it but can't seem to find one...
They have a Challenge widget. On GR, go to Edit Profile, then switch over to the Widgets tab. The Challenge widget is way down that page.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #529
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I reached my fairly unambitious goal of 36 books this year. But I did cut down on what I call "crappy books" (the ones you know are going to be bad, but you enjoy reading, you know the ones...) and read either classics or Lit Prizes, mostly big books.

So next year i think I should track the number of pages read because right now I feel slightly ridicilous with my 36 books among you guys.....
Congrats on reaching your goal! You've read a good deal more than most people and met your goal of improving the quality of books read. But there is nothing wrong with interspersing those fun "crappy books" with all the heavier classics. It's what I do.

Comparing yourself to others, especially on a forum of people in dissimilar circumstances and stages in life, is useless and counterproductive. Stay your own course!
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #530
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
They have a Challenge widget. On GR, go to Edit Profile, then switch over to the Widgets tab. The Challenge widget is way down that page.
Yes, I have had the Widget for a while and since I track my readings with GR, I thought they might also have a tracker, which I could use here as a sig. I am not sure I am clear in my explanations...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #531
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I have had the Widget for a while and since I track my readings with GR, I thought they might also have a tracker, which I could use here as a sig. I am not sure I am clear in my explanations...
Ah, I see. No, I wish they did. They really do need more / better widgets to choose from. One the right size for a sig would be handy. They are entertaining the idea of tickers, but who knows if / when they would be implemented.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #532
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Ah, I see. No, I wish they did. They really do need more / better widgets to choose from. One the right size for a sig would be handy. They are entertaining the idea of tickers, but who knows if / when they would be implemented.
Thanks.

I have to add: I just luv your avatar !!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #533
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Thanks.

I have to add: I just luv your avatar !!
Thanks! I've gotten rather attached to my little red devil. She's become my MR alter-ago.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #534
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
I reached my fairly unambitious goal of 36 books this year. But I did cut down on what I call "crappy books" (the ones you know are going to be bad, but you enjoy reading, you know the ones...) and read either classics or Lit Prizes, mostly big books.

So next year i think I should track the number of pages read because right now I feel slightly ridicilous with my 36 books among you guys.....
And I have only read non-classics and non-Lit prizes.

It's not what you read or how many you read; we are only competing with our own expectations for ourselves, after all, and set our target goals on that basis. I know that I'm not trying to out-read anyone; I'm just trying to read at a pace I know I can achieve.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #535
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I am trying to out read myself. Every year my next years goal post are set at where I wound up the year before. I finished up 2012 at 85 books and this year looks like I will not come anywhere near that. Next years goal post will most likely be a lot closer then they were in 2012 due to my inability to hit the goal posts this year and I will measure the number of pages read next year like this year.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #536
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Years Completed: 44/44
Books Read: 71
Pages Read: 21,867
Distinct Authors: 57
New Authors: 36
Paper Books: 51
E-Books: 20

I think I've officially shelved this year's reading now and am resting and preparing for next year's challenge. I might fit in Dubliners this month, but I'm really focusing on resting my reading mind.

Next year's challenge is: 70 books and 18,100 pages.

I hope it is doable. My last two years have been over 20,000 pages so I think I'm in good shape for that, but it's a lot of books to stay focused on. I've purposely tried to keep the titles a little shorter to allow myself to fit more countries in for my geography challenge.

I am really excited to start next year's challenge. When are the new threads going to be up here? When does Goodreads post next year's challenge widget?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #537
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Looks like I'll fall a little short of my 50 book goal. I am currently reading my 39th book and will probably finish it plus one more. I have read just under 18,000 pages so far.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #538
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
19 days to go and 13 books remaining...
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #539
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
I will be in on the next one for 2014, I read a lot of books this year but didn't keep count.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #540
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm thinking I'll set my challenge for 2014 at 70 books (it was 52 this year, and I have easily exceeded that, but then I didn't want to put pressure on myself to hurry my reading). Yet to decide on any more granular sub-challenges.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote