Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
New to Mobileread

but I've been reading eBooks for about 5 years. Mostly on PDA/cell phones.

I checked out various readers & settled on Mobipocket, but recently decided to give eReader another try. So far I haven't found any other reading software that's sufficiently popular to make it worth using. And I detest formats that are tied to specific hardware.

IANAL so I take the common-sense approach to legality & ethics. IMHO the essence of both, for eBooks, is to treat the eBook as much as possible like a hard-copy book. When possible I'll make copies for backup (one difference is how easily an eBook can be lost-either deleted or corrupted) but if I give a copy to somebody else then I ensure that I give them *all* my copies. Or delete them. (Unless it's available for free, like from Project Gutenberg.)

FWIW I'm a professional programmer. Most reader software is more complex than I'm willing to tackle on my own time, but I have a pretty good idea of the potential problems & capabilities-which makes me very disappointed whenever I look at what's available. Hopefully forums like Mobileread, where we can discuss issues like these as well as solve each others problems, will help.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi calvin-c and welcome to MobileRead. I used to read on an iPaq and really like it till I discovered eInk devices. Now I'll never go back.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Welcome to Mobileread, Calvin-C!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Calvin-C!

I see that you have the Palm Treo. I recently purchased the Palm Pre and love it. I don't use it as a reader since I have my Sony, though (and it doesn't have a reader app yet). Your views on handling ebooks are similar to mine. The ease of data loss and corruption is something that publishers seem not to take into consideration when making their arguments for DRM. Enjoy your time here at MR.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello calvin, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome sign2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	32251 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert