Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Opus, Odyssey Frontlight, Kobo Mini
Strange issues with Opus (the old white edition)

I'm sorry if this information exists somwhere already but I haven't found anything yet. I'm just looking for if anyone else have the same problems I do, I'm not expecting a "fix". Though I would of course appreciate any help.

We have two Opuses in our household. They have different issues. Both are running 2.1.

Opus #1: After upgrading firmware to 2.1 the reader behaves strangely. Yesterday I made sure to check the battery level before starting reading and it said 60%. I started from the deep sleep mode, it was not completely turned off. I continued to read for 25 minutes and then activated deep sleep again. This morning the device was completely dead. No response at all, not even a blink of the light. I worked around it by plugging it into a charger for five minutes. When I started it again it went through the complete startup process and the battery indicator still said 60%.

This has happened before. On the old firmware the battery actually was depleted (I just forgot to check it regularly) but now it really does seem like the battery indicator is wrong. I base that on the time between charges, which is often 2 weeks or more. 60% after two weeks is a bit on the optimistic side.

Opus #2: This one seems to have problems with the data connection. It connects fine but it takes its time about appearing in windows. The real problem is that when I'm waking it from deep sleep, I expect that it almost immediately starts on the page I was reading last (like #1 does), but it doesn't. It starts by showing the "connecting" screen and then reboots to cycle through the complete startup.

We have tried several things to get rid of this. Reinstalled the firmware and gone through a proper connect / disconnect to the computer. The startup procedure doesn't happen every time, probably 50% of the time. An annoyingly amount anyway. I do suspect that the internal memory may be corrupted or that there may be something wrong with the memory card used. (The memory card is checked on several computers, no fault found.)

Oh, and another problem following the first problem is that if I haven't gone to the main menu and the battery suddenly is empty, the device does not remember where I was in the book. It does if I exit the book which I of course do not do on a regular basis when I use the deep sleep mode.

So, anyone else with similar trouble? Any tips on what I could try to rectify the issues? Any and all feedback is most welcome.
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
This one seems to have problems with the data connection. It connects fine but it takes its time about appearing in windows. The real problem is that when I'm waking it from deep sleep, I expect that it almost immediately starts on the page I was reading last (like #1 does), but it doesn't. It starts by showing the "connecting" screen and then reboots to cycle through the complete startup.
Seams to be the normal behavior. Get the reader out of sleep mode before pluging the opus.

As to #1, I also had weirdo happening, but not the "do noting", unless battery is actually depleted.
Make me wondering about that "70 %" the battery meter told me. Maybe the battery was actually still near depleted...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
Opus #2: This one seems to have problems with the data connection. It connects fine but it takes its time about appearing in windows.
You should do a scandisk on your drive, the time is likely due to your computer that have some problem to read the device, and is can be due to some faulty things in the FAT file system.

Quote:
The real problem is that when I'm waking it from deep sleep, I expect that it almost immediately starts on the page I was reading last (like #1 does), but it doesn't. It starts by showing the "connecting" screen and then reboots to cycle through the complete startup.
It show the connected screen? That's strange.

Anyway, you should contact Bookeen for every strange (or not) problem you have with your device, it's the only way for them to know about them.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
There definitively seams to be some wackiness with battery meter. Went from 80% yesterday, to 10% today...

Good new is, though the battery is pretty low, my cybook didn't crashed
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote