Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
dd_engi
dd_engi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
USB networking for 2.5?

Is anyone working on it? I tried last night and currently made no progress. It's really nice if someone can come up with usb networking hack for 2.5 firmware. Thanks.
dd_engi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
They first need the update bin to make the hack.. you have 2.5 ? post your bin..
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, you should have installed it before you upgraded to 2.5. I don't remember exactly how it was implemented, but if it basically added a shell script to be run at startup time (an rc script), the upgrade shouldn't have removed it. While performing the upgrade, Amazon's updater checks the md5 hashes of files in its long list, and it leaves the other files alone.

It seems that Amazon disabled JVA's jailbreak hack, which installed temporary public key before installing the hacks. I guess, they used to remount rootfs for read-write before they untar'ed the update packages, but now they switched: first untar, then remount. This probably means that the jailbreak may not be possible for 2.5.

However, if you had means of executing a custom script remaining on your device from 2.3, you should be okay. This script will let you make your own jailbreaks, dumps, install fonts, USB networking, etc. In other words, if your Kindle had been "rooted" before, it can stay "rooted" after 2.5 upgrade, but you cannot "root" your device anew after you have installed 2.5 on it.

I was looking at the Chinese forum yesterday, where they reported that the "unicode hack" (Chinese style) still works in 2.5. What it really means is that after upgrade to 2.5 their script /etc/rcS.d/S73linkfonts is still in place.

Now, if anyone happens to know of an update that will take us back from 2.5 to some previous version of the firmware (downgrade), that would be of a real value...

Last edited by porkupan; 05-08-2010 at 04:23 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
So instead of staring at our kindles willing them to update to 2.5, we should root them while we have the chance?
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The USB file ( which I saw on my kindle yestetday) should be in the root directory or system folder?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wouldn't it be my luck to get the update then find out I should have checked this USB thing first and stuck with fonts and dead people's eyes.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
simonk83
simonk83 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pardon my ignorance but what's the purpose of the USB 'hack'? Only just received my kindle so I'm still reading up on what I can do. . Is this a jailbreak to allow you use the custom font/screensaver hacks etc?

I have a K2i if that makes any difference
simonk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard

If it's any consolation Simon, I don't know what it is either, I just know I needed to have it to do the hacks.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk83 View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what's the purpose of the USB 'hack'? Only just received my kindle so I'm still reading up on what I can do. . Is this a jailbreak to allow you use the custom font/screensaver hacks etc?

I have a K2i if that makes any difference
The kindle it's a Linux OS machine, this usbnetworking hack allows you to get into the kindle (via telnet/ssh) and modify parts of the Linux OS, and the kindle apps, including the fonts, wallpapers, and many things more.

It's the "techie" way to get into the kindle. Not for everybody, but it means having a backdoor to modify your kindle.
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
simonk83
simonk83 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sounds good

What's the latest version of the hack for the K2i?
simonk83 is offline   Reply With Quote