Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #4171
kuromusha
Connoisseur
kuromusha began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, PRS-T2, PRS-T3, Boox T68, Boox Poke 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the return you' get from fixing up PRS+ is almost non-existent. Most people who used PRS+ have moved on as their Sony batteries died. Plus, with Readers such as Kobo, there's no need for PRS+. So not only do you no longer need PRS+, but you get a Reader that's faster, more reliable, handles hi-res images much much better, has a significantly better higher res screen with more contrast, font light, newer version RMDSK, and maybe a larger screen.
Nope, PRS-350 trumps all new reader is all aspects. For epub, there is simply no better reader than the 5 inch Sony on the market. Why would anyone need a reader larger than a 5 inch for epub? I have collected over half a dozen PRS-350 over the years, most of them in most are in new conditions with excellent battery life. I have sony lighted cover, which is better than front light because it also lights up my footpath which front light can not do. And the traditional light is so much better, just any thinkpad users, which do they prefer, thinklight or backlight?

Also, sony PRS-350 has metal body and FIVE physical buttons, which I can map with PRS+, giving me 10 shortcuts/functions. The new readers are horrible with their button less designs.

Anyways, I really want to improve PRS+, which language is it coded in? There are many bugs, although there are workarounds, but I want to remove them.

Last edited by kuromusha; 08-07-2017 at 06:13 AM.
kuromusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #4172
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
Nope, PRS-350 trumps all new reader is all aspects. For epub, there is simply no better reader than the 5 inch Sony on the market. Why would anyone need a reader larger than a 5 inch for epub? I have collected over half a dozen PRS-350 over the years, most of them in most are in new conditions with excellent battery life. I have sony lighted cover, which is better than front light because it also lights up my footpath which front light can not do. And the traditional light is so much better, just any thinkpad users, which do they prefer, thinklight or backlight?
I find the size of the 350 to be too small. I have a 650 and yes, the aluminum body is nice, but it also adds to the weight. I have a Kobo Aura H2O and I rather like the 6.8" screen. As for the lighted cover, I much prefer the front light. It's a lot more even and I can adjust the level of the light other than low or high. One thing I rather like that PRS+ cannot do is hyphenation. I prefer hyphens to gaps. Also, I like the Carta screen as it does give better contrast than Pearl. And the resolution makes the text sharper and clearer.

Quote:
Also, sony PRS-350 has metal body and FIVE physical buttons, which I can map with PRS+, giving me 10 shortcuts/functions. The new readers are horrible with their button less designs.
That can make it easier to jump to some place instead of multiple taps.

Quote:
Anyways, I really want to improve PRS+, which language is it coded in? There are many bugs, although there are workarounds, but I want to remove them.
If you go to the the first post in this thread, the link to the project is there. You can get the source. It's in javascript.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #4173
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
The problem is that the return you' get from fixing up PRS+ is almost non-existent. Most people who used PRS+ have moved on as their Sony batteries died. Plus, with Readers such as Kobo, there's no need for PRS+. So not only do you no longer need PRS+, but you get a Reader that's faster, more reliable, handles hi-res images much much better, has a significantly better higher res screen with more contrast, font light, newer version RMDSK, and maybe a larger screen.
Depends on what you want Jon.
My 650 is still in daily use as the reader I use on my lunch at work (Kobo Aura HD at home).
My 350 is still my travel reader of choice (over my Kobo Mini)

So I probably read on a Kobo slightly more than a Sony, but not by much.

Reliability has never been an issue with any of my Sony Readers (My 505 still works ).
And browsing folders is still preferable to me than managing collections.

Saying that though, can't say I've seen a lot of bugs in PRS+.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #4174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer the H2O over a 650 with PRS. It just works better and looks better for a more enjoyable read.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #4175
kuromusha
Connoisseur
kuromusha began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, PRS-T2, PRS-T3, Boox T68, Boox Poke 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post

Saying that though, can't say I've seen a lot of bugs in PRS+.
oh geesh, where do I begin. Some bugs I have found

1. When are you reading upside down after rotating 180 degrees, then you go to the home screen, the home screen is completely screwed up with bottom sections missing.

2. When you are reading upside down, the images in stand by returns to normal position, not upside down.

3. When you have "close popup by page tap" turn on and "keep selection after dictionary" turn on, the reader will NOT keep selection after you close the popup by page tap. (but will if you close the popup by clicking on the X)

4. When you have the dictionary popup active, and you swipe to turn a page, it will turn pages infinitely until you tap again to stop it.

5. If you assign "size" to one of the key bindings, it will give you "zoom page" instead of "size".

6. When you read in portrait mode, the text size will be a lot larger than the size in portrait, and the book will not flow properly, absolutely unusable for epub.

7. When you assign turn 180 degree (not sure about turn 90 or 270 degrees) to a key, and you press that key. The screen will not rotate until you initiate another action.

8. When turn 180 degrees, the keyboard is f**ked up, only showing 60% of it.

There are some more bugs that I can't recall right now and I'm sure there are a lot more that I have not discovered.

Last edited by kuromusha; 08-07-2017 at 11:42 PM.
kuromusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2017, 04:05 AM   #4176
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
oh geesh, where do I begin. Some bugs I have found

1. When are you reading upside down after rotating 180 degrees, then you go to the home screen, the home screen is completely screwed up with bottom sections missing.

2. When you are reading upside down, the images in stand by returns to normal position, not upside down.

3. When you have "close popup by page tap" turn on and "keep selection after dictionary" turn on, the reader will NOT keep selection after you close the popup by page tap. (but will if you close the popup by clicking on the X)

4. When you have the dictionary popup active, and you swipe to turn a page, it will turn pages infinitely until you tap again to stop it.

5. If you assign "size" to one of the key bindings, it will give you "zoom page" instead of "size".

6. When you read in portrait mode, the text size will be a lot larger than the size in portrait, and the book will not flow properly, absolutely unusable for epub.

7. When you assign turn 180 degree (not sure about turn 90 or 270 degrees) to a key, and you press that key. The screen will not rotate until you initiate another action.

8. When turn 180 degrees, the keyboard is f**ked up, only showing 60% of it.

There are some more bugs that I can't recall right now and I'm sure there are a lot more that I have not discovered.
That's probably it then, I don't rotate my reader
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:57 AM   #4177
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
@kuromusha I'm a recent Sony PRS owner and am looking to dabble in PRS+

I most recently realised somehow the extern.css installed on my PRS-650 had only one long line so the size controls (alignment, line height, font size) were not working. I had to look around in there to figure that out.

So, with the original google code site being closed to development is there any official place for this to be? Or should I just start a new repo on GitHub?

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 11-24-2017 at 02:53 PM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #4178
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
So, with the original google code site being closed to development is there any official place for this to be? Or should I just start a new repo on GitHub?
The link at the top of the first post is still functioning.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #4179
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The link at the top of the first post is still functioning.
Whilst it goes to a page/site, said destination is a read only archive. So any further development will have to happen elsewhere.

Quote:
Google Code Archive

Welcome! The Google Code Archive contains the data found on the Google Code Project Hosting Service, which was turned down in early 2016.

This archive contains over 1.4 million projects, 1.5 million downloads, and 12.6 million issues.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #4180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Whilst it goes to a page/site, said destination is a read only archive. So any further development will have to happen elsewhere.
There is not going to be any further development. The developers have moved on. Also, newer Readers such as Kobo do a lot of what PRS+ does but with a better screen, faster processor, and a front light.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #4181
gingerbeardman
Zealot

Quote:
There is not going to be any further development. The developers have moved on. Also, newer Readers such as Kobo do a lot of what PRS+ does but with a better screen, faster processor, and a front light.
"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

PRS+ is open source so continued development is entirely possible if anybody on Earth feels like doing so. Like me, for example. I've already made some changes and have built my own installer/update locally.

My query was more what should I do with it after I'm done? If there really isn't a current official repository (there may be) I will simply start my own repo/fork on GitHub.

And you know what? I don't want to buy a Kobo or a Kindle or any other reader. I have this PRS-650 and I'm happy using it as it works just fine indeed. I'd appreciate it if this could be the last of your preaching for people to buy new devices.

If you have nothing constructive to add to a thread please do not reply to it at all.

edit: I've received a thumbs-up from the OP @kartu who is one of the original developers, who also pointed me to the repo i should fork (I'd found it anyway but it's good to have it confirmed) https://github.com/kartu/prs-plus/

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 11-28-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: approval and pointing to repo
Old 11-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #4182
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
PRS+ is open source so continued development is entirely possible if anybody on Earth feels like doing so. Like me, for example. I've already made some changes and have built my own installer/update locally.
It's good to see someone interested after all this time. PRS+ really added to the reader's functionality. The device is solid and it was easy to replace the battery on my 505, which is really the only limiting factor. Add to that how well calibre's device driver allows you to organize your books on the device and it is a great, solidly built ereader.

I no longer own one having passed on all of my Sony ereaders to other family members.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #4183
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Good to see interest in PRS+. While I have newer readers, I still have two 350's that I really enjoy using. I like the compact size and elegant Sony covers.

Let us know about any improvements to PRS+.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #4184
gingerbeardman
Zealot

I've finished my "font size normalization" tool and it works perfectly. Not specifically PRS+ so I'll start another thread about it somewher more general.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #4185
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Thanks for your good work! I'll download when I can have access to a Windows machine, either real or virtual. I still like my PRS-650 even though I have both Kobo and Kindle. Its battery is still well behaved (better than the Kobo in fact) so I'll probably keep it for a long time.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote