Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Aren't both Ludlum and Crichton now dead?
Yes, but if you haven't read all their books you could have some stuff to read while you are waiting. I think they write in a similar style and topics. (Or I could be way off).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, to sound a contrary note, I thoroughly enjoyed "DaVinci Code". Not great literature, certainly, but a cracking good thriller, and sometimes that's all that one is after.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, to sound a contrary note, I thoroughly enjoyed "DaVinci Code". Not great literature, certainly, but a cracking good thriller, and sometimes that's all that one is after.
My father calls it the best book he's ever read.

Well.....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Associating Brown with Ludlum is an insult to Ludlum. I'm sensitive there only because he's one of my favorite authors. Eric Lustbader did an excellent job carrying on in the Bourne series (Lustbader has a better grip on describing physical confrontations).

I can see suggesting Eco for the mysteries in those books but you're suggesting a double-diamond downhill run to someone who skies on the bunny slopes. A satisfied Dan Brown reader would get badly hurt. Oh, I did read and mostly enjoy Dan's books but they are fodder. I have low-brow taste.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Associating Brown with Ludlum is an insult to Ludlum. I'm sensitive there only because he's one of my favorite authors. Eric Lustbader did an excellent job carrying on in the Bourne series (Lustbader has a better grip on describing physical confrontations).
All I said was that they wrote is a similar genre and topics. I didn't mean to equate the quality of one with the other in any way.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Try Umberto Eco: you'll forget Dan Brown before the end of the first page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Loved 'The Name of the Rose'
Ooo, I loved The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery. Didn't know it came from a book. I'll have to look for it!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As I said, it's a fun book to read. He certainly has a way with words. I guess you have to when you sell so many books. But he's a one trick pony; I never read two books so alike as ' The Da Vinci Code' and ' Angels & Demons'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ooo, I loved The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery. Didn't know it came from a book. I'll have to look for it!
That's the one
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #23
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The book, typically, is better than the movie. It is a real page turner but, once you've read it, Dan Brown doesn't look too good!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Now you guys and gals have done it! After reading your comments, you are correct and I hadn't really noticed that DaVince Code and Angels and Demons were the same book! Explains why Angels & Demons was my favorite of the two. I thought Digital Fortress was pretty good too.

I'm the type of reader that likes to basically go "Brain Dead" while reading, meaning I don't want to really think I just want to be entertained, authors don't have to get too crazy to impress me. The only thing that drives me crazy is when they botch up anything to do with airplanes (note the pic) because I notice it. A good example was in Angels and Demons when Langdon jumps out of the helicopter and uses a blanket or something like it as a parachute. (It's been a while since I've read it) I just about retched, and if I hadn't really enjoyed the book up to that point and about to finish it I would of deleted it quick.

You have to admit though, that Dan Brown started a whole new "Genre" of book subjects, I wonder how many books written recently were inspired the success of DaVince Code and A & D... (But I must admit, I am getting a bit bored with the whole Templar/Lost Document that will change the world/What does the Bite in the Apple of that picture really mean thing!)

Last edited by KindleMan; 03-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #25
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's okay -- I've already read all 5 of Dan Brown's books. The last 3 did start to indicate a pattern. I thoroughly enjoy the first two I came upon, which were DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons. (Which starts out at a co-accelerator 'rival', Cern. I'm at Fermilab. That part was specially fun!)

But -- bunny hill vs high-speed-slope. Ulp. I hope I'm not in trouble here! Bunny hill is frequently my speed. (but not on skis. Tried it once, on the bunny hill, and hated it!)

Don't suppose Eco "Name of the Rose" is available in ebook format anywhere? Not at amazon, anyway. I looked there.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm. You mean the blanket wouldn't have helped, even a little? His explanations sound good, from a lay-person physics level. Well, ok, BS in physics level. But not in aviation!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #27
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Associating Brown with Ludlum is an insult to Ludlum.
I'll have to disagree a bit there... I love Ludlum's books and own most of them in hardcover, but he *did* write the same book over and over. In that he was no better or worse than Brown. 'Single hero against shadowy group hell-bent on world domination' pretty much describes the plot of all of them, with just the names changed.

Still, thrilling stuff :-)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #28
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Dan Brown started a new genre? With a book published in 2004?! Say hello to "Raiders of the Lost Ark" filmed in 1981, based on what George Lucas started writing in the 1970's!

I would agree his commercial success spawned a bunch of copycats, as did other successes such as Harry Potter.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #29
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Dan Brown started a new genre? With a book published in 2004?! Say hello to "Raiders of the Lost Ark" filmed in 1981, based on what George Lucas started writing in the 1970's!

I would agree his commercial success spawned a bunch of copycats, as did other successes such as Harry Potter.
Eco's The Name of the Rose was first published in 1980.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #30
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I must admit, too, that I enjoyed all of Dan Brown's books, and I'd like to see him continue to write.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote