Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #136
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm currently at:

DSCF0662asdkasjhkjkh4534k5jhaskdjakjtrkerjtetr-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-
1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-
1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-damn.jpg

and can't get it crash.
*&^%$#!

EDIT: I have to get to some other things here but will check back here tomorrow. If it's just my machine for some reason then it doesn't matter to anyone else anyway. What a uhm.... stickler.

Last edited by Trane; 04-09-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #137
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The length of the total path has to include the path to the temp directory created and used by Sigil to store the epub plus the path to the Images directory and then the filename. Perhaps the temp directory default is set to some long udid string?

Still it is strange that length is the issue as opposed to the file contents or use of strange chars in the filename.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #138
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The length of the total path has to include the path to the temp directory created and used by Sigil to store the epub plus the path to the Images directory and then the filename. Perhaps the temp directory default is set to some long udid string?

Still it is strange that length is the issue as opposed to the file contents or use of strange chars in the filename.
Just checked back before closing down...

Sigil temp dir is the default. Epub project is kept off root of E:\ in short folder name. I don't know if Sigil creates a temp for that too.

Sorry, have to leave home now. Will check back tomorrow in case there is something else you'd like me to do. AFAIC I don't mind leaving thumbnails off, though it works fine with them on as long as I don't use long filenames, which I don't anyway. But after all the work you and DiapDealer have invested I certainly understand wanting to get to the bottom of it. So I will check back!
Old 05-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #139
Trane
Groupie

Sorry I never got back... everything has been a bear. But FTR Sigil ended up crashing again (when placing an image) after I wrote last, even without long filenames, but it was the last of the image-placing portion of the project and I had to move on. And now it's been so long, I can't remember if thumbnails were turned off... I thought I had them turned off after Kevin suggested it, but maybe they were turned on for testing and I'd forgotten. IAC I only remember thinking, "No wonder DiapDealer couldn't get it to fail."

Hopefully after publishing I will have more time. Right now I have another problem (no, not crashing ) but have to start a new thread for that. But yeah... the long filenames ended up not being the answer to this particular problem. Maybe it IS just some conflict on my system. Wanted to at least report that until more can be done!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #140
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I am curious as to why offline debugging of a crash dump would not be the simplest way to diagnose such intermittent faults. Is there something about how Sigil or it dependencies are built that means a crash dump would not be helpful, or is it not worth the effort, or something else?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #141
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Trane did send Windows crash dumps but the failure occurs deep deep deep inside Windows system shell/icon code, not in any Sigil or even Qt code. Since the Windows system code is not opensource, we can not actually see what is happening easily. Also, none of us could recreate anything similar on any platform we support (Linux, Windows, Mac). It appears to be either a Qt or Windows issue with the specific contents of one or more image files (corrupted image files?) but without access to the exact set of images that create the issue we simply could not recreate the problem.

The fact that Windows allows 3rd party shell extensions to be involved with icon creation just makes matters worse.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote